Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lyle built a DRAG CAR ??

I remember building the AMT double dragster kit at least45 years ago, but this is a first since then.

Gasser built from the Revell 150 (Black Widow) kit.

IMG_8024-vi.jpg

IMG_8025-vi.jpg

Scratchbuilt the lower front splash pan. Front end uses the gasser parts from the AMT '55 Nomad. Bob Dudek "Moon" tank. Hood "gunsites" are filled. Hardest part was cutting away the upper grille surround end pieces from the one-piece grille assembly.

IMG_8006-vi.jpg

Pie crust M&H slicks and drilled rear bumper. Decals are from just about everywhere. Found "Lyles" on a Slixx decal sheet and HAD to buy it, of course.

IMG_8011-vi.jpg

Seat belts, extra gauges and a Hurst T-handle made from bits of plastic.

IMG_8016-vi.jpg

Big Block Chevy from an AMT '65 Chevy II funny car kit, fully plumbed and wired.

IMG_8022-vi.jpg

This decal is nose art for some plane (which I know NOTHING about). The decal came on a sheet in an IPMS magazine.

IMG_8023-vi.jpg

Up, up and away,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for looking.

Edited by Lyle Willits

What do you know, there is life after a '32 Ford, and it is a Chevy!!! Lyle, that is a very "period correct" drag car. I get a little tired of seeing the "big dollar" team drag cars all the time. It is nice to see a model of the everyman's weekend warrior drag car....the meat and potato's of the Friday night drags. Nice job and a very good use of the Black widow kit. I like the realistic class numbers on the windshield like they were written in shoe polish...nice touch....and the whitewall slicks are perfect on this. Nice build.

Great work there Lyle. I especially like the fact that you didn't hog out the rear wheelwells and you stuffed the slicks under the stock wheel openings. Looks 10 times better IMO. I love the decal placement and especially the one of the little senorita showing her bloomers on the rear of the decklid. What? Are you suprised that I like a decal of a girl showing her underpants? :huh: I suggest that you build more drag cars buddy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very cool Lyle....!

I recently completed a similar build.

If you bring yours to the NNL Nats this fall we can display 'em together if you want. Tom Woodruff has already promised to bring his two '57 Chevy Gassers built in the 1960's to go along with the "theme"....TIM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...