Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Ertl 2006 Chevy Camaro

Mr. Metallic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished mine yesterday, but before that I found by advice of a friend and by putting the model together that the front wheels and tires sat outside the fenders in the front and had to do a bit of surgery to the inside rim to fix this.......................

Hey Cruz, your Camaro photos are showing up fine here, but they disappeared over in the Under Glass category! Check it out.
Hey brother, I just checked them out on the other section and they seemed fine. Hope to see you at the meeting Saturday man :wink: 8)

• 2 years later...
Wierd...the ones I have are all molded in gray. Has this been reissued in red?

Yes, it was just reissued in red styrene by Round 2.

product.jpg

This one, among others are being issued in colored plastic and are geared toward the mass market. Mass market sales will allow them to issue more cool stuff for us, the lunatic fringers of the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't exactly blown away by this kit, and how do they improve it? By molding it in RED :rolleyes: ! Watch for the missing trunk lid cut line that should be over the taillamps, and don't expect the engine detail to overwhelm you, and you should be fine. I can't vouch for it's overall accuracy or anything like that, but it sure looks like a new Camaro to me.

Dave, I think you could probably make something very sweet from this kit, just brace yourself for lots of bodywork. The first (and last) AMT Camaro Concept I bought (gray plastic) was basically just one big series of sink marks. I ended up stealing the wheels and tires (best part of the kit) for another project and flushing the rest of the kit down the toilet. Stealing the tires worked well. Flushing styrene castings down your toilet, however... NOT reccomended. :D

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Treehugger!

It's a decent kit; interior has some definite "liberties" B) , underhood is actually fairly accurate except missing a bit of engraved lettering (the concept is very clean underhood), chassis looks derived from the same general chassis that we saw under the Polar Lights GTO (same platform, updated, I presume).

Wheels tend to have sink marks. A few missing cutlines on the body. Revell's body is crisper, interior much more accurate, curbside only.

Mine was an early-run version in gray, built OOB (though I did scribe the missing front fender cutlines). The red concept from the LA auto show is the reason I built mine in red.

1-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

Camaro album

The initial release of that kit made me hate AMT for the rest of my life. It was simply the worst molded kit I've ever seen, and I've seen quite plenty.

I really hope they are now paying attention to quality control for the benefit of those still buying from them.

I ended up building Revell's snap version and really enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Guest promodmerc

I'm planning on picking one of these up today. 40% HL coupon don't you know. ;)

I'll be turning mine into either a dirt track or short track asphalt car.

• 4 years later...

the big one I'm aware of is the concept Camaro was a true hardtop { no door post } the production Camaro while there is no frame around the door glass there is a B pillar . hence not a true H/T design. this is reflected in the AMT kits.

Edited by towtruck