Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge Coronet 500 by Polar Lights

JayC

I think if Polar Lights would have put clear headlight lenses,a better grill,and a better engine in the kit, it would have greatly improved things. Also, this would be a great kit for Moebius to produce as they already have the tooling in place from the Plymouth kits. Engine options, chassis pan,suspension parts,etc. Just tool up a body, glass, hood, grills and bumpers, plus a new interior. Done. I read a few years ago, (Scale Auto, I think) the tooling for the AMT '65 Dodge no longer exists, or can't be found. Just the body and the glass is all that's left. This is one kit that needs to be produced.

Barry Kennedy

Ontario, Canada

I think this is a great mid winter slump buster kit.

If you are a "box stock" builder it does have some pitfalls as noted already.

If you are more of a "parts box" builder and swap out pieces here and there this a is a nice kit. I swapped the wheels and used a modern R-M 440 in one build and just wheels on another.

A couple issues I remember not already noted is I had a little issue with the hood fit (easily fixed) and the position of the front wheels being a bit far back in the wheel well (also easily fixed and a good time to lower the nose just a bit).

Since yours is a red one paint the interior dark metallic red.

Warms my heart to see that this kit is appreciated.

Not a perfect kit but one I've always been proud of - that was the first of the pre-finished "snap" kits we did.. Considering the design compromises made to do it as a snapper while trying to keep it from being too toy-like, I was pretty happy with the result.

John Mueller did the design work on all three of the Snap kits 

There was a Hemi engine in the tooling but it never saw light of day..Plans were to do a Hemi version with the Hemi hood scoop

There was also a "Big Chief" engine and modern style wheel option tooled for the '64 GTO - I don't think those ever saw production either..

Warms my heart to see that this kit is appreciated.

Not a perfect kit but one I've always been proud of - that was the first of the pre-finished "snap" kits we did.. Considering the design compromises made to do it as a snapper while trying to keep it from being too toy-like, I was pretty happy with the result.

John Mueller did the design work on all three of the Snap kits 

There was a Hemi engine in the tooling but it never saw light of day..Plans were to do a Hemi version with the Hemi hood scoop

There was also a "Big Chief" engine and modern style wheel option tooled for the '64 GTO - I don't think those ever saw production either..

I did appreciate the '65  Coronet being released as it and the '65 Satellite are two of my favorite cars. I'm glad I have one built and two more in the "stash."  Now if I could only get the others built also???

Wish someone would do a Coronet 2 door sedan(1965)  I removed the roof off a Lindberg Dodge and mated it to the Polar Lites 65 Convertible..Turned out not bad but a kit would have been better..The Lindberg and Polar Lites stuff works good together so it will look ok..

As I recall from my build of the Coronet you have to put the engine in the chassis first-no dropping it in from above after putting the body on the chassis. Even then it's a very tight fit and it's a fight to get the body all the way down. The stance is too high and I never investigated how to correct that. Yes, the body side crease is a bit off. The roof C pillar shape is different than the Polar Lights Satellite (which is the same basic car as the Coronet) but I don't know if one is more correct than the other or they're both off in different areas.

I've got all the different colors of both body styles of the kit in my stash so I have plenty more examples to play around with for engine swaps or other versions.

I built one of these a couple of years ago, more of a glue kit than a snap to be honest, but I really enjoyed building it. I did lower the ride height a bit, and I repainted the interior from the tan colour to red.

I also have a very good rebuilder of the AMT 65 Coronet to do at somepoint.

If definitely buy one again if it was rereleased. 

2016-09-11 13.23.48-1.jpg

Edited by Mr Stock

• 1 year later...

Came across this kit last night and opened it up for the first time. GOOD LUCK getting everything back in the box once you do! I had to find another box to put everything in. 

Came here looking for reviews and was surprised to find that I asked this very question two years ago. Thanks again to everyone who posted and answered, especially those who posted pics. Yes, I think this will make a fine "too cold to paint" season slump-buster! B)

Anyone have anything new to add? (I've already seen what y'all meant about the grille being too shallowly engraved. I shall drive on regardless.) 

I have several of them in hardtop and convertible form. I have yet to build any of them. I did strip the paint off of the pearl white one, and started on it. I will probably do it in dark blue metallic, with a white vinyl top and interior. There was a guy in my neighborhood with one in that color combination. It was the first car I saw with Cragar S/S wheels on it. 

I also have a Perry's Resin 65 that I transplanted a Lindburg 64 chassis and running gear under. One of these days I'll finish something.

7 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

One of these days I'll finish something.

Ron, got any long-stalled projects you'd like to GITTER DONE? We're maybe gearing up a Round 2 of the BOYD Completion build, with an end of March deadline. Check it out up in the Workbench section. We'd love to have you aboard for this one! B)

On 1/19/2019 at 1:01 PM, Snake45 said:

Ron, got any long-stalled projects you'd like to GITTER DONE? We're maybe gearing up a Round 2 of the BOYD Completion build, with an end of March deadline. Check it out up in the Workbench section. We'd love to have you aboard for this one! B)

I have a boat load of projects to get done. I paint outside, and this past year was not very good weather wise in my area. I have plenty of paint, glue, supplies, kits, rebuilders, resin, ideas, and motivation. I appreciate the offer, but right now I cannot participate in the build off. Thanks for thinking of me.

17 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I have a boat load of projects to get done. I paint outside, and this past year was not very good weather wise in my area. I have plenty of paint, glue, supplies, kits, rebuilders, resin, ideas, and motivation. I appreciate the offer, but right now I cannot participate in the build off. Thanks for thinking of me.

Got anything already painted you could drag across the finish line? 

45 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

I built the red one stock. The only changes were I painted the top black, the interior two tone red and went with part box tires. (Good Year Polyglass)

Yeah, I think I saw it when I ran a search for them Under Glass. Nice job! B)

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Yeah, I think I saw it when I ran a search for them Under Glass. Nice job! B)

That would be it! I also chose to bare metal foil the trim.

My kid gave the kit to me because it didn't interest him. It sat in my closet for a few years before I decided to build it.

Was going to repaint it black like one a friend had years ago but then decided to just polish the red and paint the roof!

I was surprised at how well it went together and looked other than the shallow grill detail but a black wash helped it quite a bit.(after three tries LOL)

I'd probably build another if I ran into another kit priced right.:)

59 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

That would be it! I also chose to bare metal foil the trim.

My kid gave the kit to me because it didn't interest him. It sat in my closet for a few years before I decided to build it.

Was going to repaint it black like one a friend had years ago but then decided to just polish the red and paint the roof!

I was surprised at how well it went together and looked other than the shallow grill detail but a black wash helped it quite a bit.(after three tries LOL)

I'd probably build another if I ran into another kit priced right.:)

That shallow grille is giving me pause, too. I might just paint it paint it all black, as was commonly done "back in the day." 

End of March huh? I had pretty much 'bout buried this one due to not one, but TWO warped hoods. A while back I came across an original plastic hood. If it wasn't for the 'Vette project going on and the REALLY big desire to get that '55 Ford FINALLY done, I'd drag this one out and redo it.

Here is where I stopped where the SECOND hood had warped and I threw in the towel................

P7254374-vi.jpg
P7254375-vi.jpg

Scripts would be an issue too, so if I don't meet the deadline for March, I can see this getting done definitely before the end of the year for my own benefit.

EDIT: Oops! I think I'm threadbare! I meant to post this in the other thread, but ending up posting it here! :wacko:

In the words of the late great Emily Litella..................'Never Mind!'

Edited by MrObsessive

• 6 months later...

I just bought the Polar Lights Kit at Carlisle for $20. 

I can’t wait to do an engine and suspension upgrade to this kit. 

Mine is red, and I’m going to just try to polish it out, and maybe add some BMF. 

I’ve a lot of chassis and engine parts lying around. Looks like it will be a fun build. 

43 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Mine is red, and I’m going to just try to polish it out, and maybe add some BMF. 

Polish carefully. The paint seems to be pretty thin on these. NOTHING like, say, a diecast. 

I'm gonna polish mine, but won't go farther than looking for a "shiny factory orange peel" look, not a showcar shine. 

I enjoyed building the kit.  But as stated in a previous post , there are a couple of issues with it's accuracy;  which is true.  I also have an original AMT 65 Coronet kit and put next to the Polar Lights

Coronet you can spot the differences.  All in all I enjoyed building it.  The Polar Lights kit is a 2 in 1; stock or drag, with 2 sets of tires and wheels.  The drag tires are the nice pie crust cheater slicks.