Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you remember the first model you ever built?

I know I attempted a couple of airplanes with out sucess. Tne first car was a result of A M T and Ford having a contest to promote floor traffic into Ford showrooms in 1961 . Henry Ford II was friends with A M T's president and pretty much , thats how Fords always had engines and the Chevrolets didn't in 58-60 annual kits . Anyway repeated story short , I ent to the nearest Ford dealer being Richmond Ford still on Broad street in Richmond Va and I received a 1961 Ford Thunderbird convertable , just for showing up ! It was a regular $ 1.49 dollar kit just like the ones at the hobby store . Molded white and loaded with customizing parts ! I built it stock . The hurricane Agness took it as well as every other kit I had collected to that point in 1973 . Anyway , I can only tell ya the were washed out to the Atlantic Ocean . Ive spent the years since trying to replace several of the more " Noteable kits " like a 1962 Buick Special wagon for example . Ed Shaver

The first Model I ever built was a replica of Bob Riggle's

"Hemi Under Glass" Barracuda.

it has long since been sacrificed to the styrene gods.

This one However, was a close second, and I still own it:

turbinecar2.jpg

and all the pieces are still there.

of course, How could they not be, its a glue bomb.

But its a glue bomb thats been with me for almost four decades now.

When I was a kid, my friends and I would build models, then go in the back yard and crash them and set them on fire. Styrene burns real good!

I have no idea what the first model I built was, but I'm sure it got melted into a gooey heap very soon after I finished it.

That sure rings a bell Harry,when We moved to England one of my friends build Airfix airliners.On a saturday we would go to the parking lot and stuff bangers (fire crackers) into the airliners...

One day as we were set for 'take off' a neighbour yelled words to the effect of ''what are you boys up to?'' LOL

David and I jumped out of our skins...A lump of molten styrene landed on my hand,it hurt like hell.......Here it is thirty odd years later.

wmm0ev.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was a Renwal Revival Mercer. I was too young to appreciate the fact it was styled by Virgil Exner; I thought it was a pretty odd looking car (model was a birthday present). I already had champagne taste; there's a picture of me somewhere playing w/a '63 T-Bird sports roadster promo...a family friend was a Ford parts guy.

That sure rings a bell Harry,when We moved to England one of my friends build Airfix airliners.On a saturday we would go to the parking lot and stuff bangers (fire crackers) into the airliners...

One day as we were set for 'take off' a neighbour yelled words to the effect of ''what are you boys up to?'' LOL

David and I jumped out of our skins...A lump of molten styrene landed on my hand,it hurt like hell.......

Ah yes... childhod memories! B)

Anybody remember the first model car they ever built? still have it? post some pictures!

For me it was a crown vic police car, the old style snap kits where it had four screws on the bottom and came with a screwdriver. I built it with my dad one day while some family was over we didnt want to talk to.I think it was a texas state car, im not sure though. i dont have it any more it, like most of my childhood toy cars, met the unfortanute fate of the "crusher(any big rock B) ) how about it gang? care to share your first model? Or even one that made the biggest impact on your childhood?

Jeff

The 1972 GMC Sierra Grande pickup. My older brother and I built it together,we two toned it and used the custom grille. I lost everything but the bed and grille and air cleaner over the years. This was very disappointing as these are mega buck kits if you can find them. However I had a pleasant surprise not too long ago when I was doing an inventory of all my kits. I had a builtup chevy stepside kit that proved to be a GMC stepside,so now I have the cab and chassis to restore the kit.

post-1299-1260055687_thumb.jpg

I vaguely remember... dad "helping" me building this Jaguar. It was in the early sixtees, and it was the beginning of my model car obsession. :P

Um, no, this isn't a photo of the saved model! Photo courtesy Brian Austin.

RbyITCPhotocourtesyBrianAustin-vi.jpg

Edited by Spyder

First model I ever built was Monogram's '57 Corvette. I built this in the fall of '78 when I was 17..........it was a total WRECK when I "finished" it! Glue smudges everywhere, and the glue was put on so thick that there's no way one could have taken it apart! :huh:

I had no tools, just my fingers to pull the parts off the trees, and the Testor's orange tube glue to get 'er all together! I wish I had kept it, as it's nice to look back at stuff we thought was fantastic. I remember giving it away to my younger cousin in the early '80's when he was about 12 or so.

I think he demolished it with firecrackers or some such thing! :lol:

First model I ever built was Monogram's '57 Corvette. I built this in the fall of '78 when I was 17..........it was a total WRECK when I "finished" it! Glue smudges everywhere, and the glue was put on so thick that there's no way one could have taken it apart! B)

I had no tools, just my fingers to pull the parts off the trees, and the Testor's orange tube glue to get 'er all together! I wish I had kept it, as it's nice to look back at stuff we thought was fantastic. I remember giving it away to my younger cousin in the early '80's when he was about 12 or so.

I think he demolished it with firecrackers or some such thing! ;)

Dang Bill ! Your first attempt at scale modeling was at age 17 ?

( That means you acquired all of your superior modeling skills as an adult, huh ? )

I cut my modeling teeth as an eight year old..my twin brother and I were living overseas and everytime our parents went out on the town our mother would toss us a couple of those little bagged Airfix 1/72nd scale airplane kits to keep us busy..they were plentiful back then and taught us the essentials of reading & following instructions..and the smell of the old styrene tube glue was rather "habit forming"...still brings back those happy childhood memories whenever I catch a whiff.

My bro' and I ran the gamut of WW II fighters & bombers & ships & tanks before we graduated to our first car kit..the venerable old AMT '57 Ford Fairlane kit..which we assembled in the solarium of the U.S.S. Constitution on our return to the states in the summer of '63 ..just in time for the exploding Hot Rod / Custom Car craze. Our mom was pretty cool...she bought us Roth Rat Fink kits..she also encouraged us to enter a local hobby shop contest..where my bro' and I collaborated on a very nice clean build of a Monogram Little T...we tried our hand at the new AMT spray lacquers...think it was Aztec Gold..and we wired the 283 w/ sewing thread. With those wide whitewalls and white interior and top it looked pretty cool..cool enough to nab us second place Junior division at the tender age of 10...it was a really neat trophy...a gold '34 coupe on a walnut pedestal. That put the hook in us I guess...we left the hobby when we discovered rock music & girls..but as over 40 old farts have come back to it for its "therapeutic value". And the glue still smells funny !

Great thread,

My first build was with my dad and we built the revell 57 chevy Nomad. This was the issue that had the flamed car out by the beach with the surf in the back ground.

I dont have the kit anymore but we built it to look like our 57 nomad. Still have the real car...

Great thread,

My first build was with my dad and we built the revell 57 chevy Nomad. This was the issue that had the flamed car out by the beach with the surf in the back ground.

I dont have the kit anymore but we built it to look like our 57 nomad. Still have the real car...

Funny you should mention that '57 Nomad TxRat...I just acquired a couple of'em on ebay to add to my vintage Revell "Tri-Five" collection..I love the box art on that particular issue.

My very first model was the old Monogram Snap Tite Fox Body Mustang (represented a '79-'81 model). I remember it was a light tan, and had the fadeaway pony decals. If I recall, I only managed to break one wheel off when snapping it to the chassis! I was six years old when I built it- it's long gone now.

From there- it was an AMT T-Bird stock car (Bill Elliot's Coors Beer car, if I recall), which was, as it turned out WAY over my head, and then Monogram's '30 Model A Roadster (again- Way over my head). Both of them are long gone, though I think the body to the A Roadster is still up in Mom & Dad's attic someplace.

I found it at the bottom of a toy chest at my great grandma's house. I think I was 4 or maybe 5. It was already partially assembled. I played with the parts until I figured out how it went together. My parents came to get me and stopped to buy me glue on the way home. They laid down some newspaper on the kitchen table and let me go at it. After that I was hooked.

It must have been a complete glue bomb, because I had one of the heads for many years and the valve cover was pretty melted.

Almost 40 year later, I've collected enough parts to build it again. Had to make a few little parts. Then had everything rechromed Gotta love Chrometech!

Box2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Box1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

AMT 1940 Ford delivery, sometime in 1968. Don't have the model, but I do have an old picture of it. Built a replica of it a few years ago.

CCSS

That's a great idea to build a replica of my first kit. It was a 63 Vette that was a metalflake candy red with gigantic blower sticking out through the hood. Gluebomb Supreme!

I think mine was a "Paddy Wagon". The first kit I custom painted was an AMX or Javelin kit. I painted light blue/dark blue stripes around the back half. (The stripes were exactly the width of scotch brand tape).

That had to be 1969 or so, long time ago. Hmmm..wonder what kit that AMC was?

G,day , my first was a 1/32 aurora roadster- pickup , "Shiftin driften ". It was about 1969-1970 , got it for hobby class in primary school , and still got it in bits in a box somewhere . Cheers .

"Shiftin'Drifter"

'Wolf Wagon"

"Ram Rod"

"32 Skidoo"

I remember those little 1/32nd scale Aurora hot rods.... they first came out in '62....for 49 cents each.

Pretty primitive...no chrome parts....plastic tires........but the box art was great.

well i remember my first model i built! i was 6 years old, and the kit was a "snap-together" lamborghini countach kit. it was black with blueish-purple stickers, and it had the big wing and everything. i don't remember who built it, or anything, i can't find any info on this kit. can some help me with the info on this kit? but yeah that was the very first kit i built! LOL