Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Cutlass Kit

W-Machine

They are reflective, but they certainly aren't sparkly and I don't recall them looking metallic at all but it has been a few years since I've seen one in person.  70's "Harvest Gold" appliance color is sorta how I would describe them from memory. 

1972%20Oldsmobile%20Pace%20Car-922.jpg

The "500 Festival" and IMS decals are metallic gold, on many pictures you can see the difference between them and the stripes.  (I had attached a picture illustrating this, but I removed it as I was unsure if it was an authentic pace car)

Edited by Brett Barrow

Here is a comparison shot of the decal sheets. Left is Fred Cady, middle is 2009 Hurst issue, and right is 2015 Pace Car issue. I can't tell you which one would be correct because of lighting in reference pictures. I personally like the more gold ones from the 2009 issue.

What I find more interesting is that the 2009 kit has 127 parts and is skill level 3, the 2015 reissue has 143 parts and is skill level 5 !! Besides the uptop, hood and grill, I don't see anything else.

What is also funny for me is that I am building the resin 72 Olds 442 convertible that I bought from Modelhaus 8 years ago, Plus the W30 upgrade parts. I originally bought it to make the pace car with the Cady decals but it had the wrong grill! Then came the 2009 issue that had everything but the lettering. So I decided to build the Modelhaus kit as a 72 Olds 442 W30 convert. Now this kit has all the parts I need for that car!! I had to buy it!

What I find more interesting is that the 2009 kit has 127 parts and is skill level 3, the 2015 reissue has 143 parts and is skill level 5 !! Besides the uptop, hood and grill, I don't see anything else.

Probably due to the introduction of the build and play series, they re-shuffled the skill grades?

Probably due to the introduction of the build and play series, they re-shuffled the skill grades?

Yep, is now a 5-level system, used to be 3.  

The Build and Play is the new 1

The old Skill 1 Snap Kits are the new 2

The prepaints are the new 3

The old 2 became the new 4 (glue kits up to 120 parts)

The old 3 became the new 5 (glue kits over 120 parts)

Received mine in the mail today. Have not taken a really close look at it yet. Just opened it up to move the tires out the bag with the body and chassis in it, like Chris mentions in his above video. I can not beleive they though throwing the tires in with the kit like was good idea. But, it was easy enough to take care of.

Edited by unclescott58

• 5 weeks later...

I still have the first kit unbuilt but I really like this new version of the H/O Cutlass with Linda Vaughn.. I will be building this one the same way as the pic on the box with Linda Vaughn but I'm still trying to figure out how to do the flags for the rear bumper.

The ideas I have don't seem like it would look right, any suggestions would be helpful.

• 5 years later...
On 12/22/2009 at 10:55 PM, FordWagonNut said:

WOW, just looks like a really great overall kit. I with all of you guys too, I want a few. I have always liked that body style Cutlass. Hope someone comes out with a hard top conversion, fastback or coupe would be fine with me. ;)

It truly is one of Revell's best efforts ever, and will be even better once the modified reissue coupe version arrives in 2022. 😊

I don't have much to add beyond what Ron Hamilton stated, but there are many pictures of the 2010 reissue here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1624/revell-olds-cutlass-supreme-custom

IMG_20190224_181943-vi.jpg