Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Cutlass Kit

W-Machine

I for one will get one. I've been wanting to do the 1972 Indy Pace car for some time (I'm a little partial to the winner, lol). It doesn't matter to me whether it is a convertible or hardtop as they had both in pace car trim. I'm very happy to see a kit that was once in resin come to life in plastic. I almost bought the Modelhaus version earlier this year.

Nic

Where is the wing? The Hurst/Olds had a wing on the deck lid and it was an option for the W-30.

The Modelhaus has the wing you need. I have one and it's quite nice, as usual with everything they do.

Those test shots look fantastic. I'm very excited for this kit, and the '66 Impala.

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the first installment of our buildup of Revells latest release. Watch for our first steps of the buildup later this week in the "On the Workbench" forum.

i1FB6D3EB-6959-4E7F-B4DE-4B4991948D4A.jp
The long anticipated Revell 1/25th scale 1972 Hurst Oldsmobile 442 convertible plastic model kit features eye catching box lid artwork depicting a standard 442 convertible in the background and a Hurst version in the foreground.

i772B6C3B-FB65-4A34-BAB8-D9F99A1227AE.jp
This first parts group shows the convertible body shell, chrome tree, clear glass parts and transparent red taillight lenses, four unbranded tires and four metal axle pins. Note the absence of any semblance of a windshield frame attached to the body shell. Don’t be alarmed. We will address that feature as this build/review progresses.

i9768FAEB-9C2B-443B-9694-4B078356F841.jp
The next group of 72 Olds convertible kit parts (contained in a separate clear bag) includes the chassis plate, engine block and accessories along with under-hood components, a choice of two transmissions…automatic and four-speed, front and rear suspension parts, and a complete dual exhaust system.

i3FBAE0A3-4A9D-466D-A496-B8D1D2BA0547.jp
The next group of bagged parts for the 72 Olds includes: the hood and hinges, interior/engine bay inner fender panels, interior side panels, front and rear seats, dashboard with interior components, rear deck wing, sunvisors, outside rearview mirrors, convertible boot cover and wheel backs.

i221BB4EB-DDF1-4C9D-9D83-A7272A8929FC.jp
Here the 72 Olds Cutlass body shell is shown separately (left front ¾) to help give a clearer view of the considerable surface detail, which is difficult to present visually in all-white plastic.

i5739FC2C-5E80-4CD5-BE23-751FD0277F26.jp
This rear ¾ view of the Revell 72 Olds Cutlass convertible shows off the crisp panel lines, compound surfaces like an artist’s blank canvas just itching to be painted and detailed.

i62660261-38A6-49E4-AA15-CED512FEEA84.jp
Shown in this view is the twelve page, sixteen step instruction sheet booklet along with the extensive decal sheet with markings for both the standard 72 Olds 442 convertible and the Hurst version.

Thanks for looking. We hope you will enjoy this as much as we are.

Bill Coulter and Len Carsner

From reading your story , the kit sounds very interesting ! Two transmissions , a seperate windshield frame , a Hurst option ? Gee, this sounds very much like the old days of the 3 in one annuals with a refinement added . Now is this worth the thirty dollars that Revell wants to extract for this kit ? Ed Shaver :lol:

From reading your story , the kit sounds very interesting ! Two transmissions , a seperate windshield frame , a Hurst option ? Gee, this sounds very much like the old days of the 3 in one annuals with a refinement added . Now is this worth the thirty dollars that Revell wants to extract for this kit ? Ed Shaver :lol:

Yep, four speed and automatic transmissions, two differentials (one is for the all-aluminum W27 option), the W30 rear spoiler, decals for the woodgrain on the doors, console and dash. I can't go into any detail yet, but the body is gorgeous and free of sink marks and mold lines.

This is a good one, no doubt.

Len C.

Looks very interesting. I'm concerned about the seperate w/shield frame, but I'll wait on an opinion until Len's build to see how it goes.

and i would have liked to have seen black 442 stripes as well...

otherwise, I'm drooling with anticipation for the build-up...

Looks very interesting. I'm concerned about the seperate w/shield frame, but I'll wait on an opinion until Len's build to see how it goes.

and i would have liked to have seen black 442 stripes as well...

otherwise, I'm drooling with anticipation for the build-up...

We'll be talking about the windshield frame in a later installment.

Len C.

OK,OK, I'm pacified now that I've been able to see it!!! Man those guys are gettin better an better with each new release!

I MAY hafta get a few of then so's I can try to make a regular "Formal" roof outta one. Think the 77 Monte Carlo roof'll work? We'll see! So far it looks GREAT!!! :D;)

OK,OK, I'm pacified now that I've been able to see it!!! Man those guys are gettin better an better with each new release!

I MAY hafta get a few of then so's I can try to make a regular "Formal" roof outta one. Think the 77 Monte Carlo roof'll work? We'll see! So far it looks GREAT!!! :D;)

Nooo on the '77 Monte, wrong generation. But the AMT '70 Monte Carlo or Malibu would be a good starting point for the roof. That's what I have in mind (but I'm sure by the time I start such a conversion, a resin body will be out).

I have one of those tops for an AMT '69 Chevelle convertible George, but the top is a bit too big for the car...........I'd like to get one of these Olds kits just the same because it's a unique subject.

After I get it I'll see if that top fits the body. I love the parts layout------looks like it should go together well, but Len and Bill will give us the lowdown on that! :D

I have one of those tops for an AMT '69 Chevelle convertible George, but the top is a bit too big for the car...........I'd like to get one of these Olds kits just the same because it's a unique subject.:D

One thing I wondered about the TMR uptop is if it is 1:24th... I wonder if it was mastered off a part from a Danbury Mint diecast, since DM makes the Cutlass convertible among others...

I wonder what the big blank area to the left of the hood on the tree is for. To be filled in a second version w/ a plain 442 hood?

Either that or it's for the 1970 version, if they plan to reissue the kit as such(please,please,please). The '70 hood was different where it meets the grilles, and(on the non-W30 cars) the vent configuration at the rear is also different than that of the '71-72 cars.

Either that or it's for the 1970 version, if they plan to reissue the kit as such(please,please,please). The '70 hood was different where it meets the grilles, and(on the non-W30 cars) the vent configuration at the rear is also different than that of the '71-72 cars.

Maybe..I bet there will be an interesting 2nd kit next year to follow on. And of course, I've gathered all the resin parts and aftermarket stripes to do a '70 442 W30, Rally 350, and '71 and '72 442s w/ my 5 Johan '70 fastbacks...

Given R-M's history of IPC kits, I wouldn't be surprised if #2 isn't a '70 442 Indy Pace Car convertible.

One thing I realized...is this Revell's first stock Oldsmobile kit ever? (or Monogram, for that matter) Can't think of any others in the past.