Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Delta 88 Kit Pics (Photos Restored)

Sorry I took so long getting to these, but I've been rather busy with work lately (and this is a hobby, after all. :) )

First, let me make it known that this is my first resin car kit, and I have no previous experiences by which to judge the quality of this kit. What I can say is this: Steve at R&R Resin was quick in responding to my e-mails, and just as quick in sending the kit out to me once payment was completed through PayPal. I paid on Tuesday, He sent the kit out on Wednesday and it was at my front door on Friday! It doesn't get any better than that :D

Over all, I am pleased with the quality and level of detail that is present in the kit. There some flaws, air bubbles, etc., but they are in non-critical areas that I should be able to address without much difficulty. I plan on converting the two-door hard top kit into a town sedan, so I think the extra spot-filling will barely be noticed.

In my opinion this kit is worth the $71.50 ($63.00 plus $8.50 S&H) that I paid for it. Given the fact that it's the only 71 Delta 88 kit I've seen in the 12 years that I've been searching, I'm very happy to have found it.

With that in mind, here are the pics so you can judge for yourselves.

71_Delta88Resin_01.jpg.f425862bf58bb63962314bb1c7063fab.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_02.jpg.c575f7f5a6e49ee0cac8ee6dc2587c52.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_03.jpg.164199c41dc0935a672311d2e987f34e.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_04.jpg.bd6559ad4057880ab2fa4a3da757176e.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_05.jpg.880ce27e39ae34e80421810b2fb58b06.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_06.jpg.59982e2da43186e6e6fe458972fc80b4.jpg

71_Delta88Resin_07.jpg.7dbfa43c40293aa78da717ff2c45c680.jpg

I hope these are good enough to see what you need to see. I'm still learning to use my wife's digital camera. It has more bells and whistles than a model railroad convention!

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks for your patience,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Restored Photos

It does LOOK like an 88 so in reality THAT'S what counts! You'll notice theres alot of short cuts in the molding process though. But it LOOKS like it'll be a nice project to do! And your RIGHT, it IS the only 88 available!

It's gonna be NICE when your done!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif

George,

What is it that you can see that indicates the molding process short cuts? This is my first resin kit and I'd like to learn more about them.

Thanks,

David

Dave, as a frequent purchaser of resin kits,and at LEAST a DOZEN kits by R&R resins(of which THAT particular kit is) I've learned a thing or two about them. First, Ray does SO MANY kits that he does take short cuts in makeing his molds. Like for instance, Look at the AMOUNT of resin used in molding the firewall/cowl area . Thats an EXCESIVE amount. Look at a Modelhaus, Motor City Resins, Missing Link or P&P resin works body.

That same area is usually cast as a SEPERATE peice. That area alone probably weighs a half an oz. Thats ALOT in resin terms. Look along the rocker areas of the kit, I'd guess it'll have holes where bubbles were popped and left them. Then theres the clean up of edges which ALL R&R kits have. DON'T get me wrong, They ARE buildable kits mind you.Otherwise I WOULDN'T have purchased so many of them. BUT they could be better! Ray is just a oneman operation, and if he put the time into them that other casters put into theirs, he'd probably have to charge more. I have his 72 Riv, 70 Buick GSX's(two of those, the ONLY ones available in 25th scale!) and a few more. I also have his 53 Merc, which is a MESS! ALL the things that can go wrong with a resin kit went wrong with THAT one. But like I said, He DOES have some REAL off the wall kits and for some kits, like your 88, he IS the only game in town! I Do know him personally, and still buy his kits when he has something that catches my eye, but with SO MANY different ones in his inventory, if he'd just cut back a little, or spend more time preping his molds and casting them,he could get a FAR superior product and be able to charge more for them because they'd DEFINATELY be worth it. I have no doubts you can clean this one up, (don't forget that molding seam on the seats) But with it being your FIRST resin kit, you should've gone with a better caster. But like i was sayin, for that particular kit, he IS the ONLY game in town! I have no doubt you can make a VERY nice model from it. I DIDN'T mean to scare you off. Enjoy your build,and good luck, please let us see it when it's done,as it IS a "bird of a different color"!biggrin.gifwink.gif

BTW ,, this particular kit was originally an AAM kit like the '71 Riv and '70 Chrysler. The AAMs were better quality and had more seprate peices though.

I have an AAM Delta 88 (I chose it over a 300...wish I'd gotten that one too at that Toledo show...I think it was '99); it's much more cleanly molded than what I see of this R&R repop. Judging by the underhood area and the body surface, it looks like the mold has a lot of wear.

I've never worked on a resin kit of any form but have always wanted to, but after doing so much reading and seeing how they are quality wise, i think that for now with my caliber of building models, and the fact that i usually buy a few of the identicle models because i chop/stretch/widen/shrink/change them so much, that i'm going to stick with the good old plastic ones off the shelf, but i have been keeping my eyes open for a special one that may catch my eye, especially a Pantera Detomaso.

thanks

Rob

Your MORE than welcome Dave! To be honest with you, now that I've seen yours, I'll probably get one for myself!laugh.gif Ray tends to sell them a little cheaper when he comes to the toy shows here in Deeetroit, but the thing is, he doesn't always go to them, AND he doesn't always bring the exact stuff I'm lookin for!huh.gif Keep us updated on your progress.biggrin.gifwink.gif

David, check out the link to see the Delta, that Juha Airio built. Juha originally did the master for this car for AAM. Enjoy !!

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/model_cars/model_cars_from_others/models_by_juha_airio-1/1971_oldsmobile_delta_88/

I wish I wasn't such a dork, so that I could post pics of some of his builds.

fe90f5cfjpgorigor-vi.jpg

fe90f678jpgorigor-vi.jpg

fe90f5b9jpgorigor-vi.jpg

Risto,

It's easy to post them, just click on the share photo option in Fotki and cut and paste the link into the add photo option. Here's some of the photos of Juha's amazing 71 Delta 88. Boy does he set the bar high !!!

Yes, I've seen these amazing photos. They're the main reason I didn't give up looking for a kit for this car.

I want to replicate my 1:1 which is a town sedan. I need to plan this one out carefully. I'm fortunate to have a the full-size example to get the measurements from. That'll help immensely.

Thanks again for the photos and the input, everyone!

David G.

I honestly feel (Imho) that Juha is THE premier scratch builder in THE WORLD!!! I have NEVER seen anyone else create so many NON existant models from current(and OOP kits) that he has! His insite is incredible! To see so many styles in OTHER do different cars is just amazing. I really can't say enough about his genius!

What body did he start with to build this 88? A 70's Impala maybe???biggrin.gifwink.gif

Hmmm and to think if I would have kept this kit,which I had built up and painted nice,NOONE would have had this kit,unless they had the long gone AAM one,I made the BIG mistake selling this one,my 67 Polara and 70 300 to him,Wanna here what I got after he was done with them?NOTTA..................I'll never do that again!I refuse to rebuy something that I should have got one of,They are making a killing off all 3 of those kits................he ruined the car anyways,the ORIGINAL chassis was made up of a combination of the 69 olds 442,and the 70 impala,stretched to the right wheelbase,this one is a BLOB of resin,so I have a sour spot when it comes to seeing these kits,he took me to make a mint off those cars...............Steve

• David G. changed the title to 71 Delta 88 Kit Pics (Photos Restored)