Model Cars Magazine Forum

Takin' it on the chin..."Leno" - esque twin-turbo V6 Camaro

Zoom Zoom

I fell in love with GM's twin-turbo V6 Camaro at SEMA; attributed to Jay Leno. The body modifications are subtle & look factory (because they are), but give the car a lot of character that also helps pull your eyes away from the odd V-shaped grille opening. Perhaps this is the front end of the upcoming Z28. Time will tell...

It also runs what look to be nearly identical BBS "Challenge" wheels commonly seen on some Ferraris. There are now two aftermarket companies making the 20" Challenge wheels intended for the 599 GTB...and will probably look great on this model as well. Until I get them, I have some 23" sleeved Pegasus wheels w/BBS-esque centers.

I'm not out to make an exact replica, just using what I like & not worrying over making it a perfect replica. Silver is boring, so I'm going with a much more vivid shade of "boring"...pure white. That is one reason I'm using the Jada kit as a basis. Secondly I prefer the slightly larger 1/24 scale aspect, and third it has a nicer, crisper body than either AMT or Revell. It also has side glass. It's a great basic kit, aside from the tubbed chassis. I'm building it curbside, so that's not an issue for me. Once I've got it sitting right, I don't care what it looks like underneath B)

First step was making a template to cut in the hood vents:

IMG_8408-vi.jpg

The plastic is so nice to machine, it's much higher quality plastic than we see from AMT & Revell.

Next step was revising the chin. I cut away the base of the chin, but saved it as I needed it to be lower & pushed out further. I extended the lower grille openings, and cut out the round driving lamps to make room for the larger corner intakes.

IMG_8431-vi.jpg

IMG_8448-vi.jpg

IMG_8452-vi.jpg

Spent the weekend working on this while watching the Daytona race. Four of us were having a "modelpalooza" on Saturday, two of us on Sunday.

IMG_8459-vi.jpg

IMG_8465-vi.jpg

IMG_8470-vi.jpg

It compares pretty well with photos, still lots of tweaks before it is ready for paint. I've also cut out the stamped side vents in the rear fenders, making them into single-opening ducts.

IMG_8467-vi.jpg

Hope this one is finished & on display at the Birmingham NNL on March 6th. My friends were trying to talk me into building a "Conan" Challenger to go with this one, but I have a 2nd. generation (92-95) Taurus SHO master that I could build & paint green like Conan's favorite car. Who knows?! It could happen...

Edited by Zoom Zoom

That is looking awesome, Bob. I like that styling more than the one I did. What wheels/tire combination you gonna use?

Thanks! Your Camaro rocks...and those wheels are perfect for it.

I'm going to go with some sort of large diameter BBS wheels...the Leno car has what looks like 20" BBS monolithic wheels, and they're just now becoming available from the model aftermarket. I have some Pegasus sleeved BBS wheels that look pretty good on it, not quite as nice as the real car, but close. Once I get it sitting on all fours, I'll decide one way or another. Being 1/24 scale, the wheel openings are huge and a lot of otherwise decent wheels look small on it, especially in back.

Here's a quick shot of it from January before I did the chin & side vent modifications. I threw a set of Brian V's Hobby Design Ferrari 599XX BBS wheels/tires under it, they look pretty good (they're incorrect for a 599XX but look good regardless):

IMG_8423-vi.jpg

The body modifications are subtle & look factory (because they are), but give the car a lot of character that also helps pull your eyes away from the odd V-shaped grille opening.

Interesting. I think the grille opening is the Camaro's strongest design element, but I could do without the eggcrate texture.

I like that the slit/opening in the header panel has been filled in or left off in this version, though. White cars always look good, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, I've roughly mocked it up w/the wheels & tires I will use. Pegasus 23" sleeves, Pegasus BBS-style centers (will be stripped & painted graphite). Tires from Revell concept Camaro. I will need to narrow the rims to match the width of the tires.

Not shown are the brass grille & vent pieces that were cut & immersed in "Blacken It", which worked quite well. I have side vent (rear quarter panel) inserts cut that will remain separate, painted body color, but if I don't like that they could end up graphite (as will the chin splitter & rocker trim that I haven't applied yet). Looks like my plan to not raise the rear spoiler isn't going to work...visually it needs to be raised to balance w/the deeper chin. Insert Leno chin jokes here...:)

Pardon the photo, just a quick shot just using natural light (no flash).

IMG_8503b-vi.jpg

• 1 year later...