Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

Thanks both Luis and Cruz, I have to say it is probably the only over the top build that I have built so far, I usually have them in paint by now, but not on this one, im trying to not get anxious to rush it done, my major issue is going to be getting all the stone work to look good and not cartoonish, even thou that would be ok for a show rod type car Im wanting it to be painted to look more realistic than cartoonish.

Thanks Edward, im surprised i even built something like this, like i was saying a page or so back that this originally just gonna be a simple little lowrider pickup truck build with some custom paint and my first real hinged doors on a build, but has turned into a monster headache build. Its everyone that comments and continues to watch the build that keeps me going. Thanks again to everyone that is following along with the build I promise ill get it finished sometime so it can finally get to the underglass section!!!!

Thank you all for the replies. Not much done this weekend, basically working on some ideas for the paint and deciding on some knock off ideas for the wheels, got to have skulls of course.....

DSCN3046.jpg

DSCN3049.jpg

DSCN3047.jpg

Edited by Darren B

Darren......this is a "Top Shelf" build.......it will be a one of a kind show stopper........look`s Awesome.......what are you leaning toward for a paint job?......have you thought about a 60`s style cob-web paint job?.......might fit your theme ?.......just a thought for you bro.

Thanks for the comments, on the paint its got to have a lot of skulls and tombstones but not sure how im gonna pull that one off, guess will have to dust off the airbrush and try that, I didnt like the closed off look of the gear on the first rim but like the gear, just gonna go with one that is smaller and give it a more open look.

DSCN3060.jpg

That looks awesome!! Great idea Darren.

Thank you.

Lovin' this build. Its so far from anything I've ever seen, its creepy. Just how many watches have been dismantled for this build? Keep it going.

A lot of watches and this particular build is using up my stash will have to find some more....

Had a little time to work on the front headlight area and finish the cylinders for the back hydros, wanted it pancaked on the rear to make it the lowest that I can get it.

DSCN3062.jpg

DSCN3061.jpg

DSCN3063.jpg

and these cylinders will be for the front.

DSCN3065.jpg

Edited by Darren B

Very nice! What did you make your grill frame out of (if you dont mind)?

Dont mind at all, its that sign foam stuff I carved it out of like the interior pieces, but this foam was a denser foam than the interior foam, I did it that way because its harder and took more abuse from the carving aspect with files and sand paper, took me the better part of 8 hours to get it to this point as I was afraid of breaking it and having to start over, but did not break it and it came out pretty good, that stuff is a blast to carve, a lot better and stronger than balsa foam. Signfoam.com is where my sample foam came from.

I've been following this build since the very start and I'm very impressed with what you've done so far, but I'd like to offer my opinion on the "hydro hopper" question.

I wouldn't worry too much about hydraulic cylinders, pumps and actuators. With all the stone, bones and weapons on the truck, you've pretty much jumped into the realm of fiction with both feet. I'd say you could get away without giving a "realistic" justification for the stance of the vehicle.

Besides, the Grim Reaper is a Dark Angel with vast and amazing powers and could do pretty much anything he wanted, right?

Keep up the good work!

David G.

I've been following this build since the very start and I'm very impressed with what you've done so far, but I'd like to offer my opinion on the "hydro hopper" question.

I wouldn't worry too much about hydraulic cylinders, pumps and actuators. With all the stone, bones and weapons on the truck, you've pretty much jumped into the realm of fiction with both feet. I'd say you could get away without giving a "realistic" justification for the stance of the vehicle.

Besides, the Grim Reaper is a Dark Angel with vast and amazing powers and could do pretty much anything he wanted, right?

Keep up the good work!

David G.

David, you are right when you think about it especially since if this was a real truck it wouldn't even move if in reality it was really stone, so I do understand where you are coming from. The only reason that I have fought to design the hydros into the build still is because originally I had not even thought about the stone work, it was gonna be a mild lowrider pick-up with hydros and wire wheels but one thing led to another and then I discovered the sign foam and then discovered gamer pieces and then on and on. I did at one point decided not to put in the hydros but then I went with just the hint of springs and cylinders on the back because a real truck lowrider the cylinders would go up thru the bed but didnt want to mess up the stone work in the bed with the rats, but will have the full cylinders on the front only if they fit around the engine.

• 1 month later...

Just a little update I was cleaning out a drawer and found an old halloween bracelet with about 20 little skulls on it so i was playing around with what i could do with them so i cut one in half open up the eyes ran some scale barbwire thru one socket, and a knife thru the other and think it may look good in the grirll area, like one in the middle or two with one on each side...DSCN3566.jpg

DSCN3565.jpg

WOW!! I love what I see you doing here.I saw the very beginning of this project and now I wished I would have looked in a little in the middle of it.I can't believe what I see you doing here.I'm still thinking about what I have read and looked at the thread and amazed..this is not my thing but I do bow to you and seat down and watch the show.I'm learning and do see the skill and talent in this thread by you and the others involved in your dio here.I don't have anything to add to it.great work....art I mean this is amazing to see the imagination that has went into this.Thank you you all,Chris

WOW!! I love what I see you doing here.I saw the very beginning of this project and now I wished I would have looked in a little in the middle of it.I can't believe what I see you doing here.I'm still thinking about what I have read and looked at the thread and amazed..this is not my thing but I do bow to you and seat down and watch the show.I'm learning and do see the skill and talent in this thread by you and the others involved in your dio here.I don't have anything to add to it.great work....art I mean this is amazing to see the imagination that has went into this.Thank you you all,Chris
thank you Chris for your comment it means a great deal to me to get all the kind words and comments its been a learning experience for me and I have learned a great deal from others on this forum for which I'm thankful thanks to all that are following along. Edited by Darren B