Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good luck to our northern neighbors

We are under a Blizzard Warning untill 7 PM Wednesday, We are supposed to see up to 15 inchs of snow here in Mid-Michigan , I guess i'll finally get some work done on a few of my builds I have been working on, I have to be able to get out on Thursday, I have a doctors appointment, Snow Or Seeing the Doctor, I just love those choices. I can't stand either. :)

During the Chicago storm of 1967 I walked from home to the Jewel food store I worked at - about 5 miles. We stayed at the store for several days. A brerad delivery truck got stuck in the snow a few blocks from the store so we bundled up, barrowed some kids snow sleds and went to get the bread. We almost sold every loaf (for cash) before getting back to the store.

One of the happiest days of my life was selling my huge two stage snow blower (I threw in the snow shovels and ice choppers for free) just before moving to FLA.

Best of luck to everyone in the path on this MONSTER STORM (as reported in today's Citrus County Chronicle).

Sure do Harry...same here too. I take a lot of ribbing about driving a 12 mpg vehicle but I can still go to the drugstore for my wife's meds or to the store for whatever. AND I'm the first one they call when they need something moved or they're snowed in....so it's fun to rib back at times like these... :D

The funny thing is, around here it snows in winter. Always has, always will. It's a given, a fact of life. But the TV news robots make such a big deal out of it... "SNOW ALERT!!!" "STORMWATCH 2011!!!" "BLIZZARD OF THE CENTURY!!!"

I swear, the way they are reporting this thing (which hasn't even happened yet!) you'd think we're all going to die tomorrow...

:rolleyes:

What gets me is that these weather people make a big deal of saying, "Well, its going to hit Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and the northeast." Do these cretins think its going to bypass Michigan??? Anyway, on Mondays and Wednesdays, I have the same professor for both classes on that day. Yesterday, he called a pre- emptive strike and cancelled everything for Wednesday. Snow Day :D:lol::P

What gets me is that these weather people make a big deal of saying, "Well, its going to hit Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and the northeast." Do these cretins think its going to bypass Michigan??? Anyway, on Mondays and Wednesdays, I have the same professor for both classes on that day. Yesterday, he called a pre- emptive strike and cancelled everything for Wednesday. Snow Day :D:rolleyes::lol:

Were you around for the Blizzard of "78? Now THAT was a storm!!! My family was snowed OUT of our house for a week. School was off for 2 weeks I think.

Here in Dertoit we get this stuff EVERY year. No big ol full size snowplow is needed. I get around JUST FINE in a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4. It's done this EVERY year of my life, and i've NEVER been stuck in the snow. Just plan to leave earlier, take your time driveing in it, and you'll be alrite. The BASIC thing is haveing enough COMMON SENSE it know if you SHOULD go out or not! It's just snow, it'll melt.:rolleyes::lol::D:P

Sure do Harry...same here too. I take a lot of ribbing about driving a 12 mpg vehicle but I can still go to the drugstore for my wife's meds or to the store for whatever. AND I'm the first one they call when they need something moved or they're snowed in....so it's fun to rib back at times like these... :D

Driving around in that thing must look awfully silly in May, June, July, August, September, October... :rolleyes:

Why is every one hating on the trucks with plows now ??? That's how it is here too- "I'm the first one they call when they need some thing moved or they're snowed in" my truck has a 5.4 L with a 6speed stick and get 20-22 mpg when it's not working.

Some times people need to go to the hospital-or have a house fire, maybe they need the police in the middle of the night ?

Y'all make me laugh needing those 4X4 pickups with plows to get around in a foot of snow!!! :P

Now, want to know how many times I'd had bozos in 4X4 trucks with plows almost hit me, simply because they seems to think the 4X4 & plow makes them invincible? :D:rolleyes::lol:

:lol:

A foot of snow ? We get 2ft. at a time on a regular basis...and as far as the "bozo" comment about the 4x4 with plows--I don't know about where you guys live, but when I have my orange flashes going-I have the right a way >>>>>and if the roads are that bad-people should stay off of them till the proper equipment has done the job.

Driving around in that thing must look awfully silly in May, June, July, August, September, October... :P

May, June, July, August, September, October.......

002-200.jpg

006-57.jpg

010-37.jpg

020-14.jpg

I guess I'm silly.......

Snow is normal around here. We just have an Audi A4 for winter ... maybe will scrape bottom before those monster trucks but we look GOOD during the glorious summers. :D And my G37 Coupe always looks good .. even during the "back up neighbors drive and RUN for my hilly drive" moments ... the electronics get it up with 2" anyway ... :rolleyes:

I don't miss dealing w/ snow..had some huge storms when I lived in Colorado Springs and Denver.. had a 4x4 SUV daily driver (a Bronco II then a Grand Cherokee), so no problems. Worse though were the NE Ohio and SE Michigan winters before that...in Michigan I had an SUV, but for 6 winters in NE Ohio I had a RWD 4cyl Mustang w/ snow tires on all 4 wheels (my college/grad school winter car)..got around pretty well w/ that w/ a couple bags of concrete mix in the trunk.

If my next move is to an area w/ snowy winters, I'll probably get another SUV..probably a new Grand Cherokee, been happy w/ my '00.

Not "hating", (geeze what an overused & cliched term that is now), merely making an observation based on my personal experiences. I know if they have their orange flashers on they have the right of way, but these bozos, (& yes the term fits in this case), don't use them half the time. They just roar down the roads & through the parking lots like they own them, with no attempt to watch where they're going or what they're doing. "Right of way" is fine, but they bear just as much responsibility for watching what they're doing as anyone else does. Common sense is something we all need to use in bad weather.

As to the weather, I was taught how to drive in it. I once drove from my job in Rock Hill SC to my home in Gastonia NC during a blizzard in 1980. That was a 45 minute drive on country roads in good weather, but a 2 & 1/2 drive on that day. I was in a 1967 Buick Riviera GS which of course was RWD, & I got passed by three Jeeps while I motored along at 35 MPH, (speed limit was 55), only to crest the next hill & find one of them stuck off the road up an embankment, another spinning out of control down the highway, & a third off to the right stuck in a field. I simply drove right on past them shaking my head & laughing at their "invincibility". Keep in mind that in the South, when it is a big snow, there's more moisture in the air, & thus the snow is wetter, thicker heavier & less powdery than what's often found up North. That little tidbit was from a co-worker originally from Wisconsin, whom I think would know the difference. That means in addition to it laying & blowing, it often begins freezing solid on the ground as it still falls. Again I was taught how to drive in bad weather, it wasn't assumed that I automatically was an expert at it, or that I couldn't learn how to handle it. ;)

:lol:

Sorry I used an over used & cliche comment there Mark, I guess if I spent more time on the forums and less time make'n that money _ I would be a little more "forum hip" ;)

Yeah, I feel bad for my friends in Chicago. I have enough meat for 6 or 7 Chicago style "Eye-talian beefs" in the freezer,

001-985.jpg

so I'll throw a big 'ol log on the fire, maybe listen to a little Muddy Waters and some Buddy Guy and wait for the phone to start ringing. :lol:

and it got me thinking of a cool vehicle to have in the snow---

006-180.jpg

007-158.jpg

I hope it's OK to still talk about models around here ?

Edited by Zipper

Always love laughing at the rednecks that drive their big 4x4's too fast in snow... and end up stuck in the median. Just because they have 4WD won't help them one bit when they hit ice. :lol:;)

.. OR have to use their brakes.

Just got back picking up the wife and almost got stopped in the driveway ... there IS a ice layer under this 8" .. but still.. would have been a first for the Audi.

I used to leave for work at 5:00(i started at 6) in the morning in my lil truck, put it in 4wheel High, and do about 45/50 for the trip into work on I-94. There were buttheads in Escalades and Expiditions who would PASS me at 70 caz I was goin TOO slow for them. Sure enough, they'd be all sideways up on the berms or down in the ditches as I passed them a little later. Just SLOW DOWN, DON'T use cruse and THINK about the conditions BEFORE you try goin to the store for some stoopid cigarettes, or booze!!!!:lol:

Driving around in that thing must look awfully silly in May, June, July, August, September, October... :lol:

Don't laugh Harry... I bought the truck in July of 2003...with the plow on it. Of course I had to bring it to my father-in-law's house about 10 miles away as he was dying to see the new truck. On the way we stopped at a Ruby Tuesday's for something to eat. As we were returning to the truck a man and a woman were walking towards us and the guy said, "Nice truck." I responded, "Thanks..just picked it up from the dealer." To which the woman said, "SEE, I TOLD you he must have just bought it!" I was laughing my butt off.

Blue sky and bright sunshine here in western Canada and even the wind has died down, of course the temp is -31C and last night with the wind it was equivalent to nearly -40 (the point where C & F meet).

With all this nasty weather on the continent instead of having a 24hr we should have a snow build where all models must be painted white.

My new mantra.....summer is coming.....summer is coming....summer is coming.....

robw