Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Final Four....Dodge, Audi, Ford & Chevy

Peter Lombardo

Here are the final 2 of the 4 “phantom†GT2/3 cars that I wanted to build.

I previously posted pictures of the first 2 cars, so here is a refresher shot of them: The first car I did was the Dodge Viper ACR-X converted from a Revell Viper ACR. 5495135415_0599887007.jpg

Basically the changes are : The wheel wells were bulged out, doors opened and the main modification is a “snake-skin†decal overlay on the custom green paint job and a snake head graphic on the rear window.

The second car is the Audi R8 coupe, converted to a R8 GT2/3 race car. 5495727624_7b39c7196a.jpg

This car has conversions of: bulged wheel wells, reworked air vents, opening doors, a rear wing and custom decals replicating red, yellow and orange “splashes†over silver with the addition of Jagermister sponsorship.

The third car in my series is the Polar Lights ( tough kit to build ) Ford GT street car converted to a Red Bull sponsored GT 2/3. 5495134487_193ce0747a.jpg

The conversion here is, all wheel wells bulged, front fenders completely reworked, front cover, doors and rear deck opened, scratch built roll cage, scratch built rear wing and supports, scratch built lower rear defuser and custom made “Red Bull†decals. 5495726640_9ecc042e5c.jpg

I de-chromed the wheels and repainted them with a polished aluminum look and the body is painted with Tamiya dark blue metallic paint, clear coated. 5495135015_5a5d48bb3e.jpg

5495135195_290581bbd1.jpg

The fourth and final car in this series, although there will most likely be more â€phantom†race car conversions coming from me at some point in the future, is a Revell Corvette ZR1 converted into a GT2/3 race car with a phantom Monster Energy paint scheme. 5495133645_e2fb386aae.jpg

This car has : bulged wheel wells, new front and rear wind diffusers, opening doors, scratch built roll cage and rear wing and, of course, custom created decals with Monster Energy drink, and one of their “spokes models†( I don’t really understand this…..she’s in a rather skimpy bikini, but has ankle and leg warmers on….lets see, she is hot (Oh, Yeah!!) ;) but her legs are not? ) B) on the hood. 5495725806_7e440dca0a.jpg

I closed the clear hood window, bulged the hood slightly and added two front and two rear air intakes. 5495134075_b7ce87603a.jpg

The wheels were de-chromed and painted with the same house of kolor green pearl lacquer as on the rear of the body and there is Tamiya black airbrushed on the front area of the car. 5495134235_8cc0d6b107.jpg

The roof and the rear wing are decaled with carbon fiber decals from Scale Motorsports.

5495136069_6f98226cda.jpg

5495136433_7616d96775.jpg5495728126_186de7a6bc.jpg5495136583_aafe4e1962.jpg

I always enjoyed building race cars in the past, but for the most part grew tired of them because I found the strict regimen of building cars to be exact replicas of someone else’s design boring. I still love older F1 cars, and I will do them as designed but I enjoy being more creative and like to follow my own direction rather than someone else’s, so doing phantom designs, along with replicas, with custom paint and decals, satisfies most of my desire of being creative. I currently have a Shelby Series 1 “Coupe†conversion to a GT2/3 in the works and I am planning a Porsche Carrara GT hardtop GT2/3, just because I cannot bring myself to build this kit as “stockâ€.

5495136069_6f98226cda.jpg

5495136433_7616d96775.jpg5495728126_186de7a6bc.jpg5495136583_aafe4e1962.jpg

I always enjoyed building race cars in the past, but for the most part grew tired of them because I found the strict regimen of building cars to be exact replicas of someone else’s design boring. I still love older F1 cars, and I will do them as designed but I enjoy being more creative and like to follow my own direction rather than someone else’s, so doing phantom designs, along with replicas, with custom paint and decals, satisfies most of my desire of being creative. I currently have a Shelby Series 1 “Coupe†conversion to a GT2/3 in the works and I am planning a Porsche Carrara GT hardtop GT2/3, just because I cannot bring myself to build this kit as “stockâ€.

nice pete they look great :lol:

I always enjoyed building race cars in the past, but for the most part grew tired of them because I found the strict regimen of building cars to be exact replicas of someone else's design boring. I still love older F1 cars, and I will do them as designed but I enjoy being more creative and like to follow my own direction rather than someone else's, so doing phantom designs, along with replicas, with custom paint and decals, satisfies most of my desire of being creative. I currently have a Shelby Series 1 "Coupe" conversion to a GT2/3 in the works and I am planning a Porsche Carrara GT hardtop GT2/3, just because I cannot bring myself to build this kit as "stock".

super.gifsuper.gif Great sentiment, and beautifully designed and executed concepts, too. Looking forward to the other "moderns" as well.

Fantastic builds! I always admire your cars. I do have a stupid question. I built an older race vette kinda like this. Whats the defuser for? Anyway your cars are amazing. Nice work

Actually, not a stupid question at all. Rather than attempt to give you a credible answer on my own, I went digging to see if I could give you a more in-depth answer. Here from a blog on race cars is a pretty well explained explanation of a rear defuser.

Gofast

11-01-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Kevlar

I thought the rear diffuser was designed to increase downforce while helping to reduce the vacuum created behind the car... When the car is travelling at high speed a hugh vacuum is created behind it. With the diffuser, it helps pick up some of the air that travells under the car and puts it toward the vacuum lowering hte pressure difference.

Actualy, that's what spoilers do. It's hard to talk about car aerodynamics sometimes, because people call wings spoilers and so on, so sometimes it's confusing as to what you're actually talking about.

It's true a vacuum is created behind a moving car, but since conservation of mass says that roughly all the air there before the car came through should be there after the car passes, there's enough air to fill the vacuum. It's a matter of doing this cleanly.

Without help, air will shed off the back of a car in a random and constantly changing set of vorticies, collapsing back to fill the hole the car punched in the air. This creates a lot of drag. At the same time, a car has a curved upper surface, and so tends to create lift via Bernoulli's principle. This lift generation is bad, partially because it tends to pick the car up at high speeds, but also because lift generates induced drag. Spoilers energize the flow, meaning that they create a set of vorticies at a fixed point. This vortex generation helps the air shedding off the back of the car to spill cleanly into the void behind the car. This reduces the profile drag of the car. The spoiler also reduces the lift on the car, and therefore reduces the induced drag.

Many of what people refer to as diffusers are actually spoilers under the rear of the car. A true diffuser helps to mediate between two areas of differing pressure (such as behind a car and under a car). This also helps reduce lift, induced drag, and profile drag.

edit: I should add, the e46 ///M3 doesn't really have a diffuser of any kind on the rear. And yes, all these aerodynamic things do stuff on the street, but the effect is pretty small below 80 mph or so as long as the car is well designed to begin with.

Hi Pete, These are just **FANTASTIC*** Most impressive craftmanship. I seem to be toally inept at working with decals so you are now my offical hero! I looked back a few pages in the workbenck but did not see any posts on these babies. Any build pics posted?

Thanks, Randy

Hi Pete, These are just **FANTASTIC*** Most impressive craftmanship. I seem to be toally inept at working with decals so you are now my offical hero! I looked back a few pages in the workbenck but did not see any posts on these babies. Any build pics posted?

Thanks, Randy

Ok Randy,these links bring you to my Flickr page where the pictures are housed. I hope this helps you follow along.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/sets/72157624873433940/ Viper build

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/sets/72157624902762611/ Audi build

That is just OUTSTANDING work!!! :) Were did you get the monster decals from? I'm a huge monster lover!!!

I made them. I located a number of Monster advertising images on the internet. From those images, my brother downloaded the ones I wanted into his computer program he uses in his sign business. We photographed the car with a scale ruler next to it so we could "scale" the artwork to the correct size. Then I laid out the design I wanted on the car which was green pearl on the back, as green is the Monster color, and black on the front. We then arranged the images on an 8 1/2 by 11 scaled page in the computer....we split the sheet into the Red Bull and Monster Energy images and printed them on white decal paper. I clear coated the decal paper, as per the instructions, and when dry, I applied them. It is really easy to do. I really love the idea of creating my own decals and race car sponsorships.

HOLY SMOKES, THOSE ARE IMPRESSIVE! EYE CANDY IN SOOO MANY WAYS.

SCOTT

Hey Peter...I concur with Scott

I love the decal art...you are an inspiration

thanx

got started on "Marilyn Monroe" theme based 56 Thunderbird, but messed up the paint job...so back into the purple pond angry.gif