Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever Model Your First Car?

My first car was a 1954 Chevy Bel Air 4 dr sedan, 6 banger with an automatic transmission. I got it for a hundred bucks from a friend of my dad. I wanted the 1963 Impala SS with a 409, three two barrel carbs, 4 speed transmission with glass packs that the car lot had on sale for 1,095 bucks. My dad knew better than me i guess, but I still liked the 63 better. He wouldn't co-sign for it though so I had to settle for the 54. :):D Dan

Yes, I've started a model of my first car

69 Plymouth GTX

builtmodels09-29.jpg

Second car was a Truck

P9200013.jpg

Third car was also a Truck :D Waiting on a few more parts :lol:

77 Dodge PowerWagon with the help of a Ron Cash ExtraCab

P3280002.jpg

Fourth car was also a Truck

2000 Dakota, I can actually almost build it out of the Box ;)

Lastof08pics-27.jpg

And then my final (for now)

95 Suzuki SideKick lifted just a Bit more than mine :lol:

Closertocompletion-1.jpg

My first car was a 67 Riviera and I really wanted to build a copy it of years ago. So I hunted on eBay and swap meets for 66-67 Riviera junkers and bought a 69 kit. For an unbuilt kit it was over a 100 dollars, this was a very rare kit. So once I had all the parts needed to build one, guess what! The new 66 Rivera kit was released and it is a far better kit. So now I have four of them unbuilt, so far, and two older bodies to build someday.

Picture of my Rivera:

post-3862-0-20985600-1301375341_thumb.jp

Wow, my first car.

A 1956 Ford Crown Victoria. 312 HP engine.

I would love to build one but I can't find a kit.

Hey DRG... Try this link AMT 56 Ford Victoria on Ebay

I just checked Ebay. I thought I remembered that Amt made a model. Not sure if there is different or what the difference is between a crown victoria and a victoria

Edited by Mooneyzs

Have you ever built a model of your first car?

Not yet. But I do plan on it soon... in fact, I have several of my former cars available in scale. My first... a '63 Nova, straight six, photo apparently taken with a cheap camera, in low light.

Received_04_10_2006204844-vi.jpg

Not yet. But I do plan on it soon... in fact, I have several of my former cars available in scale. My first... a '63 Nova, straight six, photo apparently taken with a cheap camera, in low light.

Received_04_10_2006204844-vi.jpg

Hey, Jon. ALL the pictures any of us took in the 60's were taken with cheap cameras that didn't process light well. :P:D

Nice Nova. It will be a great project ...

B)

vair2009.jpg

vair2011.jpg

Just like this one. Except mine was Butternut Yellow with various shades of primer spots and it didn't have the hood scoops or ducktail. Or the Shelby rims and Goodyear tires. It was also lacking the John Fitch performance stuff for the engine and suspension. And it had the worthless Powerglide trans. But other than that, an exact replica

Edited by samdiego

My first car was a V8 '54 Ford Customline 4dr. I built the Lindberg '53 Victoria in the same colors and interior as mine, so that's as close as I can get. My second car should really be considered my first, as I didn't drive the '54 much. It was a Daytona yellow '69 Camaro coupe. It was pretty much a grandma Camaro, as it had the base 327, Powerglide, a/c, hubcaps. It did have a black vinyl roof and the high back all vinyl seats. I did build the Monogram '69 in the late '70s to come close, but I never liked the proportions of that kit. One of these days, I'll convert one of the newer kits into a good replica. One I will build soon is an AMT VW Rabbit to replicate my '78 Bronze Edition. I have a can of the factory paint to use on it.

vair2009.jpg

vair2011.jpg

Just like this one. Except mine was Butternut Yellow with various shades of primer spots and it didn't have the hood scoops or ducktail. Or the Shelby rims and Goodyear tires. It was also lacking the John Fitch performance stuff for the engine and suspension. And it had the worthless Powerglide trans. But other than that, an exact replica

So....you were the jerk of a big brother on "The Wonder Years"?

B)

It's on my 'to-do' list, but so far, no. I'd have to convert AMT's '66 442 into a 4-door Cutlass, rework the front bumper, and find some big, ugly wheel covers to pull that off, but I think it might be workable. Haven't ruled it out completely is what I'll say for now.

I've bought a kit of my first car, but it's hard finding paint for it. It was a '68 Dodge Charger with Ansen style wheels G-60-15 front, L-60-15 in back, had a nose down rake, and painted a light-to medium metallic green. Fortunately Revell came out with the '68 kit... I almost started to modify the '69. Here's a pic of a '68 with the same color...

68Charger1.jpg

68Charger.jpg

Mine didn't have the black stripe on the back though.

My first car was a 1956 Ford Customline 4-door sedan. I have been unable to find one in resin, but I did have a 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 352 topped with a 4-barrel carb and air cleaner from a 1970 383 Road Runner for a second car and was able to model that one. It was my first airbrush job and I thought it can out pretty good.

1963FordGalaxie500.jpg

I had two cars pretty much at the same time. One was a 48 Chevy coupe, and the other was a 58 Olds 98 4 door hardtop. I'm not sure which one actually came first, as it would have been by a matter of a couple of days. The Chevy could be built using a Galaxie Limited kit, and I remember seeing a resin coupe body someplace. I actually had a promo of my 58 Olds, and it was even in the green over white colors, but hard times back in the 80s caused me to have to sell it, and I haven't been able to find one since.

I've bought a kit of my first car, but it's hard finding paint for it. It was a '68 Dodge Charger with Ansen style wheels G-60-15 front, L-60-15 in back, had a nose down rake, and painted a light-to medium metallic green. Fortunately Revell came out with the '68 kit... I almost started to modify the '69. Here's a pic of a '68 with the same color...

68Charger.jpg

Mine didn't have the black stripe on the back though.

Marshall-

Looks like it may be FF-1 Light Green Poly. Check this link:

http://www.mopar1.us/chip/chips.html

Scroll down to 1968, the middle of the three charts is Dodge. Others here can help you find that paint in "hobby" quantity for airbrushing, or... it may be available in a custom-made aerosol.

Edited by Jon Cole

Marshall-

Looks like it may be FF-1 Light Green Poly. Check this link:

http://www.mopar1.us/chip/chips.html

Scroll down to 1968, the middle of the three charts is Dodge. Others here can help you find that paint in "hobby" quantity for airbrushing, or... it may be available in a custom-made aerosol.

Jameston at Scale Finishes will have it. He's reasonable, too!

:)