Model Cars Magazine Forum

History Being Made

Inlight of what I was watching on the weather channel last night, My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people in the south, I know some of the members on here are live down there. Just be safe . The record number of Toronadoes passed the 1974 outbreak from April 3-4 of that year. So to all of you modelers that live down in that part of the country , Be Safe.

Yeah, and to think we've got May to go through yet! As I type this we have Tornado warnings in the area! :lol: Actually just to the south of me, so needless to say------I've got the radio on in case a Tornado warning flares up in my immediate area.

I remember that super outbreak of Tornadoes in '74! We had some really NASTY storms come from that system here in Central PA back then!

Yeah, and to think we've got May to go through yet! As I type this we have Tornado warnings in the area! :lol: Actually just to the south of me, so needless to say------I've got the radio on in case a Tornado warning flares up in my immediate area.

I remember that super outbreak of Tornadoes in '74! We had some really NASTY storms come from that system here in Central PA back then!

Be safe , I was only a year old back when that happened, But I have heard the stories from my parents, And also back in 1953 On June 8th, There was an F-5 That leveled the Beecher District of the Flint area, I was born 20 years later on the same day. That was the worst storm to ever hit Michigan. A close second was one that hit in 1956, That was an F-4, All I have to say is take these warnings seriously, I feel very sorry for all of those people in the south that lost everything, Kinda makes you think about life sometimes.

Actually, I don't think it was the number of tornadoes record that was broken (148 in 24 hours, April 3-4 1974), it was the longest tornado on the ground record that may have been broken. The longest running storm was 218 miles non-stop in 1925, but this tornado may have beaten that.

My prayers and hopes go out to the survivors, and my condolences go out to the families of the victims.

last night i watched a tornado pass right over the house, realized what it was and got the kids and myself into the basement. there is a first time for everything and that was the first time in my life that i've ever had to prepare for a tornado.

i was watching Wunderground for updates and by the time they posted the warning the tornado had passed. we are talking about minutes here too.

today we have a "watch" in place until 3pm.

Well I sure am glad you and your famliy is fine. I may seen like a moron sometimes, But I consider all of you guys my friends on here . I would have been scaried out of my wits.

Be safe , I was only a year old back when that happened, ...

I was still 2 years from birth when that happened in 74, but I've been through the aftermath of some bad ones when I was still driving truck over the road, and sometimes the footage on TV does not do the true damage justice. There were some that went through Oklahoma City and Tulsa in the early 2000s that I was a day or two behind and I just could not believe the devistation. A truck stop I usually stayed at if I was stopping for the night in the OKC area was in the path, and was completely gone, there was nothing left but the parking lot! My heart and prayers go out to all affected by the storms yesterday, and to those who lost family and friends due to those storms, and to all in the path of the storms today, please stay safe.

last night i watched a tornado pass right over the house, realized what it was and got the kids and myself into the basement. there is a first time for everything and that was the first time in my life that i've ever had to prepare for a tornado.

i was watching Wunderground for updates and by the time they posted the warning the tornado had passed. we are talking about minutes here too.

today we have a "watch" in place until 3pm.

Well I sure am glad you and your famliy is fine. I may seen like a moron sometimes, But I consider all of you guys my friends on here . I would have been scaried out of my wits.

I second Steve's thoughts, Dave, and stay safe. The image from what I've seen on the Weather Channel this morning most disturbing to me was the footage of one tornado in Alabama or Georgia (didn't catch quite where, I was rushing to get out the door to get the better half to work) that was going down the side of a mountain. They even said as the video was playing that it was proof topography will not always keep you safe, which living here in West Virginia has been something I had always heard that the hills would help prevent a bad tornado. That video this morning now has me rethinking and the worry factor has gone up a bunch!

It was pretty bad around here last night. Ringgold is where I grew up and now live about 25 miles south. It was the worse thing I had seen. The same storms are now headed up the eastern coast, so you guys be prepared. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

I have yet to see a tornado first hand, but there is that eerie sense of calm which precedes a tornado, and that's a pretty good warning that something bad is about to happen weather-wise. :o That's when it's time to head to the basement...

And here I thought this thread was going to be about the Royal Wedding. :lol:

Edited by Casey

That's the only drawback to Springtime is the violent storms. I always look forward to,but dread Springtime. I've already had the worst damage ever and it's just beginning. I had a large oak tree fall onto my 28x38 outbuilding that destroyed a section of the roof and that was couple of weeks ago. The storm was so loud we didn't even hear the crash. A big maple tree also fell onto my parents house,but luckily it just glanced it and only did around $3000 worth of damage. My mother was actually standing at the front door of their house watching when it happened.

I remember the damage done in '74. The tornado actually hit two counties away from us in Rockcastle county where my grandparents and aunts and uncles lived. I will never forget when we went to visit them and saw the damage first hand. It literally stripped a quarter mile wide path through a forest right to the ground. It looked like it had been clear cut and cleaned up afterwards. There was literally nothing left behind. For a year or longer afterwards,my father and I found various debris on his farm. We cleaned up the stuff in the fields, but we were always coming across stuff in the woods later. I was only seven years old and every time we found something,it would spook me for some reason. The thing that spooked me the worst was when I found a little doll in the woods and it made me wonder what the story behind it was.

It breaks my heart to see those poor people on television looking at what used to be their home and saying those dreadful words, "we didn't have any insurance". I saw a man on television yesterday that has had his home hit twice this month by storms and that was the very thing he said. He was in the process of repairing his home when yesterdays storm hit. I can't imagine what that would be like and pray to God that I never do.

I'm watching it on cable news... honestly, if they didn't tell us, it would be impossible to tell if it was Japan's tsunami zone, or tornado destruction in the South. There is so much damage, from so many different natural disasters around the world, it's as if there is nothing natural about any of this.

i was always under the impression that topography had something to do with a tornado's path and that "normally" they don't travel up and over hills and that large flat areas were where they typically would touch down and run through.

Dr. Ted Fujita (the man who came up with the Fujita scale), once followed a tornadoes path up the side of a mountain. Scary what these things will do, which is why I chase them.

I second Steve's thoughts, Dave, and stay safe. The image from what I've seen on the Weather Channel this morning most disturbing to me was the footage of one tornado in Alabama or Georgia (didn't catch quite where, I was rushing to get out the door to get the better half to work) that was going down the side of a mountain. They even said as the video was playing that it was proof topography will not always keep you safe, which living here in West Virginia has been something I had always heard that the hills would help prevent a bad tornado. That video this morning now has me rethinking and the worry factor has gone up a bunch!

I grew up in McDowell County. I remeber when one came over the mountain. Tore it's way down one side and went up and over the other side.

I've also spent my time in Oklahoma and Texas. Those that came thru NC were to the North and East of me.

I have a couple modeling friends in Ringgold, GA where they had and EF4 tornado rip through. They are fine; one had some tree damage and a shed roof destroyed, but all around him his neighbors fared much worse. He did get out and took photos of his drive to work up across the TN border, where his plant also had some moderate (certainly not catastrophic) damage. The other had no damage at all, but his cable/internet are still out.

The exit on I-75 for Ringgold is apocalyptic...all the restaurants/hotels/gas stations are thoroughly trashed if not destroyed. News has shown the McDonalds, Ruby Tuesday, and Food Lion...all places where I have eaten or bought groceries and gas...and that isn't even where the worst of the damage hit on the other side of town. People fled the interstate for shelter and it is an absolute disaster there.

The same storm cell that leveled Tuscaloosa traveled all the way to NC. The tornado from it destroyed 30 homes at Lake Burton in far NE GA, killing a prominent businessman.

The Atlanta area was in-between all the bad stuff. It was barely more than a rumbly thundershower when it hit. The wind was far worse for hours ahead of the actual storms.

Tornado's suck.....But Hurricanes are worse :)

I remember Barneveld WI in 1984..F5...the whole town was gone...

I've also been through Hurricanes Charley and Wilma.....the damage is one thing, the heat, and rain are others....

I'm Praying for all :lol:

Barneveld_tornado_damage.jpg

Edited by Stasch

I live on the other side of the river down here in southeastern ohio and i used to be able to sleep right through one but with reading all these replies i guess not anymore!

stasch - i know they stink i used to live in a really small town (so small we can walk about 5 minutes any way and be out of town!) the town is called "Manteo North Carolina!" and my father just quit his job out there at the airport where he worked and we had just moved out and within a couple days cant think of which hurricane but one just came up the coast and later when i talked with my auto teck teacher he said he was just out there and matter afact around the corner where we used to live and told me the place was leveled! you could see for miles and where we used to live is "GONE"!

Edited by bandit1

Tornado's suck.....But Hurricanes are worse :)

I guess it depends. With a hurricane, at least you have time to get out of it's way. With a tornado, you can do everything perfectly, the way they say you're supposed to do, and still get killed. I've been through both of 'em.....don't care for either one. Never tried an earthquake, though....but it ain't on my bucket list.