Model Cars Magazine Forum

#158 is a KILLER!

What a great issue. I love the Hudson Hornet Jairus Watson drawings. I have dibs on the rust primered beauty on Page 32! Oh, wait, how could I? The kit is not out yet. Oh well, maybe I can do the same look with a 49 Merc.

Great job on the issue, Harry, Gregg, et al . . .

Cheers, Doctor Crankenstyrene!

Edited by Dr. Cranky

It will be worth the wait. I picked it up at the hobby shop today. I have to agree, it is "killer". One of the coolest articles is Chuck Doan's Fordson tractor. At first glance I thought, oh, another rusty model with overdone mud applied to the "wheels". Upon close inspection, though, I realized what an awesome job Chuck did on the weathering and accumulated gunk on the tractor. The cast iron finish on the parts looks absolutely stunning - there is little difference between the scale version and a real life tractor - it's that good. I can see a pair of overalls wearing the paint and metal in the stamped pan seat - outstanding. Add the accumulated grease and oil and it is one impressive build. A lot of great techniques in this article alone.

Great issue all the way around. I am getting used to this monthly delivery!

Thanks MCM crew!

It will be worth the wait. I picked it up at the hobby shop today. I have to agree, it is "killer". One of the coolest articles is Chuck Doan's Fordson tractor. At first glance I thought, oh, another rusty model with overdone mud applied to the "wheels". Upon close inspection, though, I realized what an awesome job Chuck did on the weathering and accumulated gunk on the tractor. The cast iron finish on the parts looks absolutely stunning - there is little difference between the scale version and a real life tractor - it's that good. I can see a pair of overalls wearing the paint and metal in the stamped pan seat - outstanding. Add the accumulated grease and oil and it is one impressive build. A lot of great techniques in this article alone.

Great issue all the way around. I am getting used to this monthly delivery!

Thanks MCM crew!

I'm glad you liked Chuck's feature. He is an incredibly talented modeler, and it was our pleasure to bring you a feature on his work. And of course, the weathering techniques he uses apply to car models, too! :)

I wish I could take credit for at least some of it... but I can't.

I hate to say it, but it's out of my hands now... and that's a good thing!!!!

Harry has been busting okole on the mag, and it is finally getting to be where it should be at.

Here's a sneak peak at the May/June cover:

post-3-0-13699000-1305599506_thumb.jpg

Now, is there a doctor in the house (that can fix me!!!!)?

Wait till you see Dr. Cranky's book too!

Thanks, Harry.

And Jairus

And Chuck

And Mark

And Larry

And Bill

And Wayne

And Tim

And Tim

And Dennis

And Keeler

And William (jabill)

And Ken

And Sherri

And Auggie

And Joe

and of course, KELLY

Ok, so I haven't even received my April issue and Gregg is going to tease me with the May/June cover??????

Makes me want to beat up the mailman and have him cough up my MCM as that HAS to be the reason why I haven't seen #158 yet!

I am liking the sounds of things, gonna have to ask for a raise in my allowance so I can renew my subscription this summer. B)

Just got mine in the mail today - a really excellent issue! Lots of great stuff in there.

The Fordson tractor isn't the kind of subject that would ordinarily do much for me, but the guy's attention to detail and workmanship is just incredible - a true madman, and I mean that only in the best way!

MUST try out that Hudson Bonneville racer. I liked all of Jairus' renderings, but I kept going back to that one...

Chuck's Fordson was incredible... my grandfather restores Fordson tractors as a hobby, and he built one out of spare parts as a 'garage ornament'- it bears an uncanny resemblance to Chuck's model.

I ALWAYS look forward to Dennis Doty's stories, and this issue was almost Doty overload!

JB Welda's Lakester,the Chevy huckster, the base-line Comet body in Resin Talk, the overview of the Tamiya Lexus kit, and I'm not even covering everything... I'm going to go out on a limb and say #158's the best MCM yet, in the four years I've been reading it. The chrome powder article was cool, but kind of a bummer at the same time... :D

Only thing missing was a Scratchbuilding School column, and that'll change next issue. ;)

Edited by Chuck Most

Thanks GREGG. The book just arrived on my doorstep, and I actually had to sit down in order not to faint. I love it, and Harry did an amazing job with the design and the layout.

We hope people will like it and use it and tell their friends about it! LOL! Just like that old Clairol commercial. It takes one friend to tell a friend who will tell another friend and so on and so on . . . . :)

Thanks GREGG. The book just arrived on my doorstep, and I actually had to sit down in order not to faint. I love it, and Harry did an amazing job with the design and the layout.

We hope people will like it and use it and tell their friends about it! LOL! Just like that old Clairol commercial. It takes one friend to tell a friend who will tell another friend and so on and so on . . . . ;)

When and where, Doc? :)

Mike, thanks for asking, it's getting released this week from AK-INTERACTIVE USA or

http://www.ak-interactive-usa.com/books.html

They will have it up on their website shortly. You can also get to their link via my website listed below my sig.

Thanks, Chap.

PS--As most of us know, car model building books--like the ones by Terry Jesse, Pat Covert, and George B--are out of print and hard to find, so I am really happy this book will offer something different to all the different building levels out there.

I wish I could take credit for at least some of it... but I can't.

I hate to say it, but it's out of my hands now... and that's a good thing!!!!

Harry has been busting okole on the mag, and it is finally getting to be where it should be at.

Here's a sneak peak at the May/June cover:

post-3-0-13699000-1305599506_thumb.jpg

Now, is there a doctor in the house (that can fix me!!!!)?

Wait till you see Dr. Cranky's book too!

Thanks, Harry.

And Jairus

And Chuck

And Mark

And Larry

And Bill

And Wayne

And Tim

And Tim

And Dennis

And Keeler

And William (jabill)

And Ken

And Sherri

And Auggie

And Joe

and of course, KELLY

Hey Gregg...

I know it was an oversight but let's be sure to add Len Carsner to this 'thank you' list. He's been responsible for everything from iHobby coverage to doing a lot of the heavy lifting on many of the kit review/how-to articles he and I have cooperated on together in Model Cars magazine. The Revell vintage funny cars featured on the May/June 2011 cover are a great example of Len's efforts.

Thanks...

Bill Coulter

I just want my #158. Has everyone recieved theirs yet? I did lapse the subscription, but the renewal was sent weeks ago. Wondering if I should go hunting at the one remaining bookstore for it?

I just want my #158. Has everyone recieved theirs yet? I did lapse the subscription, but the renewal was sent weeks ago. Wondering if I should go hunting at the one remaining bookstore for it?

You won't find it at any book store...

#158 hit Western Mass today, Jon .. after backtracking from the Springfield P.O. It should be up there in the mountains at least by next week! :lol:

Edited by Foxer

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Don't rest on your laurels.

Where the heck is Issue #159?

It hasn't arrived yet and I'm done reading #158.

What's the delay?

Making me wait - No way to run a magazine!

:D

B)

no delay .. what are you reading right now?! :D;)

.. we get the Forum edition continuously between paper ones

Edited by Foxer

#158 looks like a really good issue. The articles on building the SoCal lakester and on weathering the Fordson tractor are very interesting to me. Actually the entire issue is informative and entertaining. Harry, the design and layout of this isssue are great. :)