Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Chevy II dirt track racer

roadhawg

As I've mentioned before, I grew up in an automotive environment. My dad ran an auto service business and I was introduced to dirt track racing early on. When I turned 16, I built my own car and started racing at the local track, Athens (GA) Speedway. I ran in the Hobby division, but the fastest division was the Late Models. Back in the 70's, the king of Athens Speedway in the Late Model class was Ray Brooks, from Jefferson GA. When his #19 Chevy II showed up, the question became who was going to finish second that night.

23422_110256345651788_1000000226908.jpg

Ray and his half-brother Linder Smith ran a local transmission repair shop, and eventually my dad started subbing out transmission repairs to them. I got to know them, and we became good friends. I ended up hanging out at their shop more than ours! When I went into the sign business in the 80's, Ray gave me a spot in their shop to work out of...free, no rent. Thats the kind of guy he was.

Ray continued to race well into the 90s, making the move to asphalt, but ended up having to retire because of health issues.

This is a model of the Chevy II he had so much success with. The body is from the Rat Packer kit, with the wheelwells relocated back to the stock position. Wheels/tires are from Fred's Resin. Interior is pretty much sheet styrene with a Detail Master steering wheel and seat belt kit. Paint is plain ol' Testors gold and black, and no its not super glossy...the real car was painted in a transmission shop on a lift. Lol. The decals are self-designed. The model is built curbside, so there is no engine details.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, and I may end up giving it to Mr, Brooks next year at the annual Athens Speedway Reunion.

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Awesome work Tommy! Nothing is as cool as a model built after a real car! I'm sure Ray would love to have it and it would be a great way of paying him back.

Thanks y'all!

i'd have posted Bluesman Mark's comment but it would have just been censored B) we will just say that he really liked it too.

Huh. I didn't realize he was still around here, I haven't seen him post anything in awhile. Oh, well...tell him thanks!

Thanks again, everybody! I do appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad y'all like it.

Man Tommy, what everybody else said and more! Just a great build.

Also, what's this about Athens Speedway? Where was it? When did it close?

Again, wonderful build...

Jack, Athens Speedway was off the Atlanta Highway on Jimmie Daniels Rd, behind where Sams Club is now. It ran from the late 50's into the early 90's, when Sams Club purchased the property. It was THE place to be on Saturday nights in the 70's. Most of the track and stands remained intact until just a few years ago, but I believe it's all gone now. Man, I miss that place.

http://georgiaracinghistory.com/athens-speedway/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...