Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Chevelle Finished Moved to under glass

customsrus

This is one I am building for my grandchild. It will be a curbside build. I took an old chevelle that I built years ago and chopped off the top,next I grafted in the top of a new camaro, this allows the use of the camaro interior also. I used the chassis of the camaro, but I had to add material so it would fit the chevelle wheel base. Wheels and tires are also from the camaro kit. I will be building one of these for myself in the near future , but it will be a detailed build. So to put it all in perspective:

Cost of Camaro kit $10

Cost of Chevelle kit: I dont remember

Smile on granchilds face: PRICELESS.

IMG_0885-vi.jpgIMG_0886-vi.jpg

IMG_0888-vi.jpgIMG_0889-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

VERY nice job grafting the roof on! Your Grandson will be REALLY happy to have a model car made ESPECIALLY for HIM, by his Pupa! Can't WAIT for mine to get a little older (he's two) so I can sit down with him, just like i used to with his Mom! His ride is lookin GREAT!

Wow that looks mean. Great idea of using Camaro's top. This would be great prototype of 2012 year model Chevelle. :D Maybe 15" NASCAR style tires and wheels would look really good under this, but those Camaro wheels are looking really interesting too. I can't wait to see more work with it.

VERY nice job grafting the roof on! Your Grandson will be REALLY happy to have a model car made ESPECIALLY for HIM, by his Pupa! Can't WAIT for mine to get a little older (he's two) so I can sit down with him, just like i used to with his Mom! His ride is lookin GREAT!

Oh I forgot to mention that this model is going to my youngest daughters baby that has not been born yet, I dont know if it will be a girl or a boy. She aked me if I was going to build a model for her baby and I thought I would surprise her with this build. I do have two grandchildren from my oldest daughter and I have built model for them and with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some paint on this. Painted the base coat with Testors Diamond Dust. I then used the smoking sprue to get the marble effect (this does not show well in photos but the effect is darker in person). Then I used Tamiya clear blue and top it off with some clear. The blue will only be the SS stripes when complete.

IMG_0923-vi.jpgIMG_0928-vi.jpg

IMG_0925-vi.jpgIMG_0929-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

Loving it. Great job on the smoke effect. You say you use a sprue, but you hold it over a candle flame, right?

I used a sprue from the kit and held it about 10 inches from the model, but I heard you can get the same effect with the candle. If you use the sprue just remember to do it in a well ventilated area (like outside) because the black soot will get everywhere. I did mine outside and I wore a respirator.

Edited by customsrus