Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '40 Ford Standard Coupe - Hot Rodded 60's Style

Bernard Kron

DSCF5132-web.jpg

60’s Style ’40 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

(More pictures below)

This project was inspired by the California style hot rods often seen in the early to mid 60’s at car shows – shiny, slickly turned out, but with their roots firmly in the style of the immediate postwar era. Based on the Revell ’40 Ford Standard with the following modifications.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

Front axle: From kit dropped 3 ¾ scale inches.

Motor: Blown Oldsmobile from the Revell Beatnik Bandit kit

Wheels: Cragars from the AMT ‘40 Ford Tudor kit. Tires: Pinners from the Round2 re-Issue of the AMT Double Dragster kit.

Interior: Sides and back of the kit bucket re-skinned with Plastruct O Scale Corrugated Roofing #91512 to create a tuck and roll style. Seats are from my parts box. The steering wheel is from the Beatnik Bandit kit.

Paint: 2 coats each of Duplicolor Red Oxide Primer and Silver Metallic followed by three coats each of Duplicolor Bahama Blue Metallic and Krylon Crystal Clear, each stage wet sanded and polished.

DSCF5157-web.jpg

DSCF5165-web.jpg

DSCF5139-web.jpg

DSCF5152-web.jpg

DSCF5107-2-web.jpg

Interior-web.jpg

DSCF5105-web.jpg

DSCF5167-web.jpg

Cool, 60's style Hot Rods are great to see. This looks just like it would be built back in the day. Great job with the color choice, and paintjob is really beautiful. Great stance, and I like the wheel and tire combo. Engine is great too, detailing is very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Brings back memories... as a kid, my fav cousin Rickey (10 years older than me) had a 396 Chevy stuffed in a '40 coupe... pulled the front end up thru third with very little effort.

He is one the reasons I love models so... He was a great builder as a teenager.

I love the buildup... Spot on as they say !

I'm finally getting around to saying THANX for all the generous comments. :) This build is not without its flaws, but overall it was pretty satisfying since it involved some important steps forward in technique and pretty much stayed on-target as far as achieving the overall look I was after. I'm very pleased you all enjoyed the result. B):)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx again, guys, for all the kind words. And yeah, Danno, sometimes I fail to realize how cleeeean a model needs to be when subjected to the cruelty of the macro lense! In this case this was a pic I took before I added the final details (you can see there aren't any wipers) but I simply never took another one quite at that angle so I decided to use it - but I must admit I didn't notice the hair until much later when it was way too late...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...