Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1971 Road Runner Reissue (?)

I was sharing my communications with Round2,  however,  I couldn't copy & paste the desired excerpts as I was using the desktop computer on the clclubhouse  where O live. I'm just not familiar with the c&p arrangements on the community computer.NNever-the-less ... The response from Round2 was more * promising* than I had expected . I expected to hear that the tooling was long gone , with zero hope of being reissued . The actual response was , in es,  "We will forward your proposal to our R & D department.".

Edited by 1972coronet

Guys....as John notes, Round 2 is well aware of this request and they will check out the possibility....but they have many things on their plate and expecting a quick answer or announcement just isn't realistic  

Important thing is that they now know the interest, and quite frankly, in my view the good, well reasoned, and responsible dialogue in almost this thread goes a long way in making a good case for the possibility.  After all, they are in business to make money, and if a way exists to reissue a kit within an affordable affordable capital investment/profitable return on investment scenario, it's in their best interest to look at it as a future business opportunity.  

I don't know anything more than this....so don't be expecting an announcement or a favorable answer any time soon....but at least it's on their radar screen.  TIM 

I was sharing my communications with Round2,  however,  I couldn't copy & paste the desired excerpts as I was using the desktop computer on the clclubhouse  where O live. I'm just not familiar with the c&p arrangements on the community computer.NNever-the-less ... The response from Round2 was more * promising* than I had expected . I expected to hear that the tooling was long gone , with zero hope of being reissued . The actual response was , in es,  "We will forward your proposal to our R & D department.".

Yep, that's exactly what they told me. I suppose you can't expect them to say much more than that. What they said to me on their YouTube channel was a little more disconcerting, saying it isn't in their plans at the present time. But, plans can change. I hope.  I'd probably buy ten of them if they reissued it.  (Well, ten of them if it's the '72.  I'd only by five of the '71 ;) )

Edited by drksd4848

• 11 months later...

Here is my guess. In 1995 AMT/Ertl planned on reissuing the Petty Roadrunner. Then they figured out that the tool had been backdated to a stock 71 RR so they abandoned the idea as they would have to undo that work. Meanwhile Ertl changes hands. Zero or miss communication ensues. I'll bet that 71 Roadrunner tool is ready to roll possibly short of having the chassis and dashboard borrowed for the 74 RR.

Edited by Dave Darby

The '72 was ostensibly offered only as an annual , and is expensive IF one can find it . The tooling was obviously updated for the 1973 (ad seq ) annuals ; however , I am not certain how the 1971 tooling survived ; it was reissued in summer 1987 ( with contemporary custom wheels ) and remained in-production through c.1990 .

Like I'd stated in .y original post : it would be great if the 'Runner was reissued with both 1971 and 1972 parts !

.)

I have one of the '71 Road Runner Reissues from back in the 80's and a resin '72, which I had planned on combining with a "new Tool" '71 Charger like I did my '73 Road Runner. I happened to really like those cars. It would not surprise me if RC2 decides to bring this one out in the near future.

Like I mentioned elsewhere. Ive been told the by a reliable source the tooling for this kit is / was badly damaged and is not repairable .

I trust it enough Ive bought 3 of these in the past year , prices ranging from $20 to $50 for ea.,,,,, and Im a tightwad

Here is my guess. In 1995 AMT/Ertl planned on reissuing the Petty Roadrunner. Then they figured out that the tool had been backdated to a stock 71 RR so they abandoned the idea as they would have to undo that work. Meanwhile Ertl changes hands. Zero or miss communication ensues. I'll bet that 71 Roadrunner tool is ready to roll possibly short of having the chassis and dashboard borrowed for the 74 RR.

If so, Round2 should release something soon while they have the Petty licensing rights.

Here's the '95 release you mentioned, pictured in the October issue of SAE:

1f446f2b-a973-4949-a7b9-2271cb3d36cb.jpg

Well , if indeed that 1971 Road Runner tooling is truly destroyed , then only one thing can take its place :

All-new , 100% , no holds barred tooling ! 

I've stated this here , ad nauseam , but I'm going to mention it again :

- "Generic" 1971-1972 body

- Parts to build either a 1971 or 1972 version 

- Engine options ( 383 [1971] 400 [1972] and 440 Six Barrel ; 426 Hemi [1971] )

- Transmission options ( TorqueFlite or 4 speed )

- Differential options ( 83/or Dana 60 )

- Grip of factory decals for both years 

- Period-correct custom tyres , wheels , etc. 

It CAN be done ! So many similarities between those two years -- especially in-scale -- that a true "2-In-1" could be a reality .

all sounds good but is Round2 willing to send that kind of money on making a new tooling .............. we can all hope so my 2 cents !

Let me qualify my response by stating that , this isn't an attempt to knock Round2 (et al.)  :

I'm not necessarily suggesting that Round2 is the recepiant of my 'proposal' ; rather , it's aimed at anyone whom would be interested . 

Certainly , Round2 is equipped to handle the task ; however , their main business model is restoring classic AMT , MPC , and Lindberg kits' tooling (among other products) , which is no small feat in and of its self . Perhaps Moebius or Revell (et al.) would be interested ? 

Let me qualify my response by stating that , this isn't an attempt to knock Round2 (et al.)  :

I'm not necessarily suggesting that Round2 is the recepiant of my 'proposal' ; rather , it's aimed at anyone whom would be interested . 

Certainly , Round2 is equipped to handle the task ; however , their main business model is restoring classic AMT , MPC , and Lindberg kits' tooling (among other products) , which is no small feat in and of its self . Perhaps Moebius or Revell (et al.) would be interested ? 

i here what your saying , i to would love to see these kits come out again . but  we are all getting older and time stops for nobody .

look how long it took Revell to bring out the stock 70'charger r/t .

i even post on fb on r2 page about the RR kit

with no reponce.

Edited by Mr mopar

If so, Round2 should release something soon while they have the Petty licensing rights.

Here's the '95 release you mentioned, pictured in the October issue of SAE:

1f446f2b-a973-4949-a7b9-2271cb3d36cb.jpg

Well like I said, it's not the Petty kit anymore. It's a factory stock Road Runner. But I'll still bet the tool is just fine. I think that's why the Petty car didn't come out. Karen Sands at Ertl said years ago the 34 Ford truck tool was damaged too, but we saw what really happened to it later. 

Well , if indeed that 1971 Road Runner tooling is truly destroyed , then only one thing can take its place :

All-new , 100% , no holds barred tooling ! 

I've stated this here , ad nauseam , but I'm going to mention it again :

- "Generic" 1971-1972 body

- Parts to build either a 1971 or 1972 version 

- Engine options ( 383 [1971] 400 [1972] and 440 Six Barrel ; 426 Hemi [1971] )

- Transmission options ( TorqueFlite or 4 speed )

- Differential options ( 83/or Dana 60 )

- Grip of factory decals for both years 

- Period-correct custom tyres , wheels , etc. 

It CAN be done ! So many similarities between those two years -- especially in-scale -- that a true "2-In-1" could be a reality .

This would be more Revell's wheelhouse. I doubt that they would seriously consider this though, as they already have their '71 GTX in 1/24- and that one is pretty decent.

I wouldn't mind if they gave that kit the "Special Edition" treatment- at a minimum, tooling up '72 rear bumper and grille for it.

My belief is that Round 2 still has the tooling for the '71- and it probably is a case of having to swap around the inserts for the right chassis and dash.

The MPC '71 would be an excellent subject to get the new Round 2 treatment. The '87 issue actually had a very comprehensive stock decal set (stock stripes in black and white sets). 

That ages-old Monogram 1971 "Satellite"-come-GTX (1995 saw an update of the c.1983 "Satellite") is just that : antiquated . Yes , it can and does have potential for nice results ; however , its weak points outweigh that potential in my mind :

- Undersized exhaust pipes , with obviously aftermarket exhaust tips ;

- The aforementioned being cast-with the blob of a rear axle ;

- Mediocre representation of a 440+6 (though its 1995-updated Holley 2300's are quite nice) ;

- TorqueFlite with a deep sink-mark in the pan (no separate pan at that !) ;

- The moulded-in tail lamps , while nicely represented -- especially compared to the MPC 1971 Road Runner / GTX -- are a disappointment ... even by 1984 standards ;

- The aftermarket battery is Bozo , and ;

- Those oddball tyres (artifact of Monogram's 1969 1/2 Super Bee , 1970 GTX , and the 1971 "Satellite") .

Yes , the Revell-era c.1995 upgrades are nice (especially the aforementioned carburetors , and the addition of firewall embellishment / wiper motor ; the Air Grabber bonnet is also a nice upgrade ) , but that kit is long in the tooth .

Time for a freshie .

Edited by 1972coronet

That ages-old Monogram 1971 "Satellite"-come-GTX (1995 saw an update of the c.1983 "Satellite") is just that : antiquated . Yes , it can and does have potential for nice results ; however , its weak points outweigh that potential in my mind :

- Undersized exhaust pipes , with obviously aftermarket exhaust tips ;

- The aforementioned being cast-with the blob of a rear axle ;

- Mediocre representation of a 440+6 (though its 1995-updated Holley 2300's are quite nice) ;

- TorqueFlite with a deep sink-mark in the pan (no separate pan at that !) ;

- The moulded-in tail lamps , while nicely represented -- especially compared to the MPC 1971 Road Runner / GTX -- are a disappointment ... even by 1984 standards ;

- The aftermarket battery is Bozo , and ;

- Those oddball tyres (artifact of Monogram's 1969 1/2 Super Bee , 1970 GTX , and the 1971 "Satellite") .

Yes , the Revell-era c.1995 upgrades are nice (especially the aforementioned carburetors , and the addition of firewall embellishment / wiper motor ; the Air Grabber bonnet is also a nice upgrade ) , but that kit is long in the tooth .

Time for a freshie .

Buddy, I don't disagree with you on any of these points about the Monogram Satellite tool. :) You and I seem to really think alike, and like the same things! I just think it's unlikely that anybody short of Moebius will invest in an all new '71-'72 Plymouth tool, since Round 2 and Revell have other "adequate" tools to use. 

To me, the shortcomings in the Monogram tool are easier to address than those in the MPC tool (mostly the chassis and engine room- which really necessitates a total replace with the AMT '71 Charger stuff). Also- those MPC's have a spindly, easily warped body- I see many of these with wavy, droopy & twisted roofs, in unfixable ways, especially around the windshield. I still wouldn't mind having it back, though.

When AMT tooled up the new '71 Charger around 20 years ago, that was when I held out hope that maybe we would see a '71 Plymouth variant. That was back when they did new tools of old cars, and the '71 Charger is a really good one. That moment was missed long ago, unfortunately- Round 2 hasn't developed a new tool for an old car ever, in my recollection. About the only thing they will tool up from the ground up now seems to be either new subjects (Camaro, Corvette, Challenger), or licensed spaceship models.   

You know , in hindsight perhaps you're not terribly "off base" in your proposal of reworking the Monogram '71 'Satellite' / GTX into something nice-er .

The moulded-in tail lamps could be deleted , and instead added to the 'clear' parts' tree ( much easier to paint properly , especially since the back-up lamps would already be clear ! ) .

The 1972 front and rear bumpers -- and their accessories (grille , etc. ) -- could "simply" be added , along with a new-tool single 4 barrel induction (and a proper air cleaner) to compliment the existing pieces (and, therefore , offer the option for the ultra-rare 1972 Six Barrel setup ! ) .

Throw the original 'Satellite' bonnet back into the mix , too !

New tyres and wheels , too ... please .