Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MPC '60 Vette

jbwelda

There are two Aurora Customized Corvette kits are available on eBay right now. Looking at the one that is open, it is based on their old 1/32 scale '61 or '62 Corvette kit. I'm pretty sure it's a '61. I remember building one of those back in the summer of '72. I was spending a few weeks with relatives in Cloquet and Duluth, MN that summer. And I found the Aurora 1/32 scale '61 ('62?) Corvette at Carr's Hobbies in Duluth. I can't remember if the kit was any good or not.

That summer my cousin in Cloquet and I bought several cool models, at a local department store in downtown Cloquet. I remember buying AMT's Open Road Chevy camper and a Dodge Deora. My cousin Mark bought a JoHan Cadillac ambulance and a JoHan '72 Eldorado. A week or so later, I bought the Corvette at Carr's. By the way, Carr's is still in business in Duluth. And worth a stop if you ever get there. I still get in there at least once a year.

Scott

Don, when the above SMP/AMT '60 Corvette kit came back from the dead about 1974-5 as one of the Street Rods kit, it had some custom parts. It had the lake pipes, mirrors and spot lights. It didn't have the hardtop which is the one piece that changes the convertible to a hardtop, other than a box. The 1974-5 issue didn't have skirts as I remember.

About the only thing that differs a SMP '60 from a '59 is that it had an engine in the kit. First year for SMP and AMT. If I am wrong, correct me.

Bob, I think you're right that the Street Rods kit didn't have the skirts.

The SMP '59 Corvette kits also have different custom parts than the '60s. Pretty sure the '59 hardtop kit included a few additional custom pieces that weren't in the '59 convertible too. I have unbuilt SMP '59 and '60 Vette kits and can post pictures of the parts if anybody is interested.

The SMP/AMT kit isn't great, but I have to admit I like it quite a bit. Like some of the early AMT Trophy Series kits it has a definite charm to it and I've collected some cool old customs that were built from these kits.

.....old AMT (?) customizing kit had so many extra wheel spats, fins and other add-ons until I saw a glue bomb on ebay a month or three back.......

Dug up that other one, after remembering what title it could be found under in my internet link history. Blurry pic here, but the rest of the last expired ebay listing (scroll past the other advertisement stuff here) for it shows some details better. Not knowing my old kits, I couldn't say if it stayed within the bounds of what came in the kit or had other different parts.

smp vette.jpg

Edited by Russell C
fixed photo link

While MPC's '56-'57 and '60 Corvettes are nice kits, the detail I could never get past was the awkward shape of the side cove (model photo found on the web - it's not my build.)

MPC1960ChevroletCorvette3-vi.jpg

1960corvette.jpg

Wow, I'd never seen a comparison between kit and real like that before. You're right, those kit coves are whack.

Just for giggles, here's an interesting comparison. Top to bottom: AMT/MPC '57 flipfront gasser bodied I glued solid and then spent a lot of time mating up; OOB '57 flipfront body; original MPC one-piece '57 body; AMT '57 body.

57VetteBodies.jpg

This could easily turn into a community build, if we aren't careful...

If it's for first-gen Vettes in general, I'm in. Been wanting to do another old MPC '57, and could be talked into bashing up a '61. But not if it's just '60. The '58-'60 Vettes have never interested me for some reason. :unsure:

Speaking of community builds, think there would be any interest in a '63-'67 Vette group build? How about if it were nonstock only (customs and racers)? That could be interesting.... B)

Edited by Snake45

While MPC's '56-'57 and '60 Corvettes are nice kits, the detail I could never get past was the awkward shape of the side cove (model photo found on the web - it's not my build.)

MPC1960ChevroletCorvette3-vi.jpg

1960corvette.jpg

Wow, I'd never seen a comparison between kit and real like that before. You're right, those kit coves are whack.

Thanks for the comparison, even the back of the model looks like it got bobbed.

Gotta agree on all counts. Goes to show they weren't all as perfect in "the good old days" as some people might like to remember. (And no, I'm not excusing any of the recent major league foul-ups that have been released to the public in the last few years)

Also noticed that the gas filler door seems to be AWOL. At first I thought it might be an issue of light engraving combined with paint buildup on this red example, but it looks like the black example posted by Tim Boyd earlier also is missing this detail.

That's not to take away from either nicely done build, just the nature of the kit itself.

Not being familiar with Corvette kits I appreacieate all the helpful input,one more question,can someone tell me if an "up" top (convertible,not hardtop) is included in any of these kits? I received the pictures today for a build for my cousin as a gift and the car pictured has a convertible top.......................thanks in advavnce!....................Mark

Not being familiar with Corvette kits I appreacieate all the helpful input,one more question,can someone tell me if an "up" top (convertible,not hardtop) is included in any of these kits? I received the pictures today for a build for my cousin as a gift and the car pictured has a convertible top.......................thanks in advavnce!....................Mark

I answered this for you back on page 1. See post #18.

Thanks Snake! musta' missed that post early on,the project I am doing will be this car,owned by "The Boss" Bruce Springsteen,my cousin was a roadie for the E-Street band for several decades,and this car will be a gift for him,consigned by my uncle,only problem is my area of expertise is trucks! Lol! just I need to get started looking for the appropriate kit to get started!.............................Mark

post-9862-0-62636500-1416444751_thumb.jp