Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MPC '60 Vette

jbwelda

I agree with Bob Ellis. The Revell multi-piece is a great kit, and they practically give them away on ebay. The MPC 60 is pretty nice too, but has an interior from a 1957, and slightly inaccurate side coves.This my Revell multi-piece from the 1960 (really a '59) kit.

Revell1959Corvette-vi.jpg

It comes with a really nice grab bar, but mine went MIA....

P5230031-vi.jpg

P5230033-vi.jpg

Below is about everything you'd want to know about the old Revell kit... Different issues and box art, plus what's inside the box...

Those old Revell multi-piece 1960 Corvettes were nice kits. I just depends on how much work you want to put into it, and how much detail you want. I built the twin to that one myself about 30 years ago.

Does anyone know if an "up" top comes with any of these kits? just curious as the 1:1 car I'm going to replicate is pictured with the convertible top up...................................Mark

I have several of the MPC '57 Vette convertible uptops I'll never use. Shoot me an email if you need one at:

SnakeACP45@aol.com

If the AMT '62 came with convertible uptop, I'll have that too.

Even though the box says AMT, this is the last reissue of the MPC '60 Corvette kit from about a decade ago. If I remember correctly, it does come with a up top and a removable hardtop.

dscn3150.jpg

If it's in an 10 or so year old AMT box with a red built-up model, that's the old SMP/AMT kit which is a completely different kit. AMT reissued kits in a zillion different boxes at that time, so it can get very confusing what kit is in what box.

IMO, the '60 MPC kit has the better shape of the two. Yeah, the side cove area is a little wonky as Dave pointed out, but to me the shape of the front fenders and grille area among other things just flat out look better.

I have that kit that Don pointed out above, and what's interesting about it--------they reproduced the original instruction sheet appearance as what came in the original kit.

It was a '59, then they called it a '60, but I needed a '61 for RT 66. You can see my conversion progress.

This blue Revell '60 was built in about 1975 when the box shown was sold. The picture was taken about 1977. Can't take a newer picture because the car is now gone. I had to find stock Vette wheel covers, but I thought this kit built a very nice model.

post-11981-0-27372100-1415929740_thumb.j

post-11981-0-11589400-1415930227_thumb.j

Is the SMP/AMT Vette the one that was issued as the Riptide (TV show) Corvette in the eighties?

Never realized that MPC also had a version to compete with AMT and Revell. From the description, it sounds like a good candidate for Round 2 to reissue, maybe in original style box art. Since RC2 reissued it not so long ago, we know the tooling is serviceable.

Is the SMP/AMT Vette the one that was issued as the Riptide (TV show) Corvette in the eighties?

Never realized that MPC also had a version to compete with AMT and Revell. From the description, it sounds like a good candidate for Round 2 to reissue, maybe in original style box art. Since RC2 reissued it not so long ago, we know the tooling is serviceable.

Yes, the Riptide car is the old SMP/AMT kit.

I didn't know it until recently that the old AMT (?) customizing kit had so many extra wheel spats, fins and other add-ons until I saw a glue bomb on ebay a month or three back. Would that be what's happening with this current glue bomb listed there? For non-purist Vette fans like myself this one creates quite a different look, when you overlook all the excess paint.......

GoldVetteFinBomb.JPG

Edited by Russell C

I didn't know it until recently that the old AMT (?) customizing kit had so many extra wheel spats, fins and other add-ons until I saw a glue bomb on ebay a month or three back. Would that be what's happening with this current glue bomb listed there? For non-purist Vette fans like myself this one creates quite a different look, when you overlook all the excess paint.......

$_57.JPG

Yes, that's built from an original SMP '60 Corvette hardtop kit. The rear fender lines have been built up with putty or something, but the skirts, side pipes, and wire-wheel overlays are from the kit. Pretty sure the RC2-era reissues of this basic kit, which were NUMEROUS, included the skirts and side pipes.

Don, when the above SMP/AMT '60 Corvette kit came back from the dead about 1974-5 as one of the Street Rods kit, it had some custom parts. It had the lake pipes, mirrors and spot lights. It didn't have the hardtop which is the one piece that changes the convertible to a hardtop, other than a box. The 1974-5 issue didn't have skirts as I remember.

About the only thing that differs a SMP '60 from a '59 is that it had an engine in the kit. First year for SMP and AMT. If I am wrong, correct me.

Back to the Aurora kit, is the guy kneeling behind the Corvette on box, smiling in such away like he can't believe they gave him that trophy for his ugly car? Trying to hind his face? I also get the impression the crowd in the background are laughing at it. The one guy is pointing, "can you believe that won?" The guy in the blue shirt and white hat, talking to the other guy, is bringing his finger up towards his ear to make that crazy, nuts gesture.

Scott

About the only thing that differs a SMP '60 from a '59 is that it had an engine in the kit. First year for SMP and AMT. If I am wrong, correct me.

Correct. The SMP '60 had an engine and opening hood, as did the AMT T-bird and Buick. First year for that feature. However, it's also worth noting that the original issue SMP '59 Corvette has the correct interior, with horizontal pleated seats.

Later reissues of the '60 kit, including those labeled as a '59, have the 1960 interior, like the gold custom Russell C. posted.

Here's an original 1959 SMP...

59Vette18-vi.jpg

... That Aurora Corvette kit is both ugly and interesting at the same time. I never knew it existed...

Me, neither. The blasphemy is so wild, it would be worth building just that way. I'd make a more subtle substitution, though, ditching the 6 taillights on the roof for some kind of vertical recessed taillights at the back of the fenders.