Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the most tooled car ?

At 1 time AMT, MPC, Monogram & Revell all had a 57 Chevy in there line up (was a kit comparision way back). They have been re-released various times over the years, & new tools still coming out.

I've got nearly 100 different issues (gotta top 100 soon :) )

What else has been tooled so much ? Hazzard a guess at Mustangs or Camaro's ect but what years ?

It's not the most tooled, but I can't believe how many new challengers have been made already. New year, rt, srt, .... Kinda over kill I think.

But I would have to say its a tri five Chevy of some sorts that's been beaten to death. I really don't care for 57s but some how I even ended up with two or three.

Let's not forget the 69 Camaro- Revell recently had two snap versions, plus how many variations of convertibles and hardtops? Add in the AMT variants and the old Monogram tools and it has to rank up there near the 57 Chevy and 32 Ford.

I am going to inventory all of my kits this weekend and I expect to find at least 9 different 69 Camaros.

It's not the most tooled, but I can't believe how many new challengers have been made already. New year, rt, srt, .... Kinda over kill I think.

Not enough..Revell needs to do the updated '11-12 SRT8 392 IMO...

I would say definitely the '32 Ford for American kits...many body styles kitted and from many kit makers in many scales.

No offense to the O.P., which what exactly does "most tooled" mean? Each kit must be molded from a unique tool set? Are various modified and straight reissues considered to be the same? Hard to agree on an answer when the question is so open ended. :huh:

in all honesty its the 57 chevy,it has been released by just about everyone and now in every form 210,nomad,flipnose,drag,hard top,belair,you name it,that also oncludes the caprice variant back in the 90s done up like a nomad and also boyds chevzoom,also the cartoon version ones.

you go to evilbay and go throught the models of 57 chevys and you will see it in all types and styles.

I just got an email from a friend who is not a forum member, but sometimes checks out the forum as a guest. He's pretty knowledgeable on this topic, and he said it would be ok if I shared his email to me here:

This one isn’t even close. As long as the question regards a single vehicle platform It’s the Lamborghini Countach. Christian's statement that there are more kits of this car than Tri-5s, Deuces, or anything else combined is spot on. If you were willing to consider just the nameplate, the Ford Mustang would be the winner, but you’d have to count all the (very different) generations of the car which weren’t based on the same platform, and the way I read it that goes against the spirit of the thread.

Just in terms of scales, Countachs has been done in plastic, that I’m aware of, in 1/64, 1/43, 1/40, 1/38, 1/32, 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, and 1/12. Probably more. That’s not counting several non-scale models (say, Bandai mini 4wd versions) or the myriad diecasts that have also been available in kit form.

There are at least 3 completely different toolings of the car in 1/16, for instance, maybe 5-8 in 1/20, and in 1/24 there are several dozen. The car hit at exactly the right time, and since it was in production for a long time (1974-89), had many different distinct versions to kit, and the Japanese companies all had to have one in the motorized era, then the car remained popular when people wanted full-detail kits it got re-kitted in the 80s many, many times.

I just got an email from a friend who is not a forum member, but sometimes checks out the forum as a guest. He's pretty knowledgeable on this topic, and he said it would be ok if I shared his email to me here:

This one isn’t even close. As long as the question regards a single vehicle platform It’s the Lamborghini Countach. Christian's statement that there are more kits of this car than Tri-5s, Deuces, or anything else combined is spot on. If you were willing to consider just the nameplate, the Ford Mustang would be the winner, but you’d have to count all the (very different) generations of the car which weren’t based on the same platform, and the way I read it that goes against the spirit of the thread.

Just in terms of scales, Countachs has been done in plastic, that I’m aware of, in 1/64, 1/43, 1/40, 1/38, 1/32, 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, and 1/12. Probably more. That’s not counting several non-scale models (say, Bandai mini 4wd versions) or the myriad diecasts that have also been available in kit form.

There are at least 3 completely different toolings of the car in 1/16, for instance, maybe 5-8 in 1/20, and in 1/24 there are several dozen. The car hit at exactly the right time, and since it was in production for a long time (1974-89), had many different distinct versions to kit, and the Japanese companies all had to have one in the motorized era, then the car remained popular when people wanted full-detail kits it got re-kitted in the 80s many, many times.

There were also at least three in 1/28 - LS, Eidai Grip and Nichimo.

Ironically, I don't own a single Countach kit.

At 1 time AMT, MPC, Monogram & Revell all had a 57 Chevy in there line up (was a kit comparision way back). They have been re-released various times over the years, & new tools still coming out.

I've got nearly 100 different issues (gotta top 100 soon :) )

What else has been tooled so much ? Hazzard a guess at Mustangs or Camaro's ect but what years ?

By "tooled so much" do we assume this to mean a subject Tooled by many different company's in many different forms ( hardtop, convertible etc.) all the same car ? Like you suggest, the venerable '57 Chevy ? or , and this could be just as interesting and maybe require it's own post, one kit that has been released, rereleised, reissued numerous times. Even then, thinking of the Monogram Blue Beetle (for example) and all it's reissues there have been so many changes.

Edited by Greg Myers