Model Cars Magazine Forum

dollar store finds

i picked up 3 items at the dollar store today that have great potential.first,a 12 pack of long-handled sundae spoons in clear plastic colors(3 red,3 blue,3 amber,3 yellow).they are perfect for making emergency light bars(already tried one).you can get 3 or 4 lights out of 1 handle depending on how big you want them.second,a 3 foot USB cable that when you slice the outer wrap off of it you're left with 4 different color wires perfect for detailing.And lastly,a hobby knife that comes with 5 replacement #11 blades.ALL FOR ONLY A DOLLAR EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

8) Hey Lonewolf, I'm going to be on the look out for the spoons and forks. I find good stuff at my local .99$ store, my favorite is the sanding sticks/fingernail file, the kind with a different grit on each side foam center.

great stuff if you hunt for it.

I know what you mean, I picked up a make-up kit that has a large and small brush that I use to dust off my models before a show. The small brush comes in really handy for the tight spots. Also an eye-shadow applicater (whatever they are called) and I use that for my BMF to burnish it down. My wife thought I was crazy for getting it, until I told her it was for my models...

STEVE

• 3 weeks later...
You're working with Tyra Banks??

Tracy

Latest dollar store finds. A set of fingernail highlight stuff. Could make great dash knobs and blue dot tail lights. Also, fingernail fixing soft tools. 4 different grits on small sized pads. Polishing in small spots?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bristol Man,

If you click on my handle "Lonewolf" you can go to view my profile. Click on "visit my website" which will take you to my fotki account. In the album labelled trucks, you can see a lightbar made from one of the spoons on a white Volvo truck. I found the spoons at our local dollar store.It was a 12 pack of transparent spoons (3 red,3 blue 3 amber& 3 yellow). The handles are 6 inches long and the same consistent size throughout. I simply cut one off at 3 inches to fit the truck I wanted to put it on. Then I sanded it with fine grit sandpaper to round off the cut end. It seems you can shape them somewhat and polish them to look right. The "chrome" center strip is foil duct tape available at any hardware store. I use it instead of BMF with good results at a fraction of the cost. I hope this is of help to you. A heads up to you; if you use a handle to sign-in here,you need to put your full name in the signature box found in the profile section. Welcome to the forum and hope to see some of your work.

• 15 years later...

Greg, please don't assume that old threads are not valuable when revisited.

Lots of modellers quite new to the hobby will have come on board since then who will benefit from info that you may consider of no real use and 'old hat' to you.

It is all too easy to dismiss things that very experienced modellers like yourself take for granted with the benefit of being an old hand at the game so to speak.

I can remember starting out all those years back and my many disasters along the way through lack of knowing about inexpensive things that I could buy and use when money was tight.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Greg, please don't assume that old threads are not valuable when revisited.

Lots of modellers quite new to the hobby will have come on board since then who will benefit from info that you may consider of no real use and 'old hat' to you.

It is all too easy to dismiss things that very experienced modellers like yourself take for granted with the benefit of being an old hand at the game so to speak.

I can remember starting out all those years back and my many disasters along the way through lack of knowing about inexpensive things that I could buy and use when money was tight.

A model is no better of worse when you take it off the competition table that when you placed it on the table!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

I get a few things at Discount Stores. 

Plastic Containers, Sanding Sticks, Cheap Files, Small Clamps, Super Glue, Sandpaper, and other Bits&Bobs as I find them.

Even a small AA Battery Powered ,motorized, Rotary Nail File. Basically a small, weak Dremel Drum Sander. I used it for a bout 5 years before it died. Pretty Good for One Dollar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, NOBLNG said:

Another 15 year old thread dug up with no real useful info added?😕🧌

Well, I didn't know this (below), but you can be damm sure I'm grateful for the heads-up, no matter how old the thread is. I wouldn't have seen it, most likely, if it hadn't been "dug up".

Valid information has no expiration date.

On 9/27/2007 at 4:51 PM, Steven Zimmerman said:

Also check'tangle-free'hair bands....about 50 in a bag,and they look JUST LIKE blower belts,orfan belts(they come in differant widths)...

• Like 2

Just a warning about those transparent tangle-free hair bands,  I have been using them (for modeling tasks) for several years and originally I thought that these were made from some long lasting material and unlike rubber bands they would not turn brittle and break down.

Well it appears that some of them are long-lasting while others deteriorate just like rubber bands.  I have some that are several years old and they are as clear and stretchy as the day I bought them. Others (which looked identical to the others when new) after couple of years have turned from transparent to milky white, and started to crack and crumble.  As far as I can tell, you don't know which one you have just by looking at them when new.

Not sure if this is only applicable to transparent bands (not the colored ones), but I figured I would give a heads-up.

• Thanks 1