Model Cars Magazine Forum

how do you guys fight modeling boredom/ modelers block???

I havent even sat down at my bench in almost 2 months!!!

between work ( average of 45-55 hours a week), family ( i get my kids every other week, which leaves me about 2 weeks free after work every month), and trying to get my 1:1 '88 IROC running, I have had absolutely no desire to even look at my bench....

I have been working on a mothers day gift for my mom( with it obviously past mothers day, i didnt get it done)...

it is a replica of the 1:1 '86 Monte Carlo SS my mom bought brand new....I have tried several new detailing items, and several new tools i bought, and that part was fun, but other than that, it seems like lately that modeling hasnt been any fun at all, and it makes me wonder if the 300 unbuilts and 8 in progress projects are just wasting space......

I am wondering if i should put moms kit aside, and build something different than what i usually do, which is replica stock musclecars, or day 2 modified musclecars.....and build, maybe a custom truck, or a street rod, but still put some minor detail into it....

or if i should build something i dont really care about if it turns out good, something like amt's '74 GTX, and build it with some of the custom parts....

any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Although I am newly returned to the hobby I get bored really easy. I like to modify everything til I hate it and then I get bored. But I never change. When I did the Vette for Le Mans I wanted to build a car that I would never really build unless there was a good reason. I am glad I did it as it was a break from Ferrari kits consisting of $200 of aftermarket ######. I would say build something out of your complete liking and do it OOB. That might make you happier when you actually complete one?! $.02

or just give it a rest for awhile. go to the beach with your children, fly a kite, read a book. you could be burning out on life and this is just a place where it is being noticed. we all accept to much because we are "super-persons" and try to excell at everything.

take a break, and when your interest returns, jump in.

I was freshly returned to the hobby about a year ago. Decided to go 1/8 wich there is little to offer.Wanted to scratch build everything. After a year, nothing finished and getting burned out, I picked up a 1/12 scale Revell chopper, one for me and one for my daughter.We finished both, a day each. Had fun doing it. Traded most of my 1/8 for 1/16 wich there is a ton more choices and started building again. For me maybe it was both, bored of not getting anywheres and wanting to spend time with the family instead of by myself. Doing something easy and different and including one of my kids kick started me!! Maybe depending on your kids ages and likes you could try that. If not, go drink one on the beach, Have fun,get your car running,then try again!!

Actually finishing models gets me fired up. I do many nearly out of the box builds in between my 5 and 10 year contest builds. If all I did was one or the other I think I would be bored. Also build what YOU truly like! It is real easy to be influenced by what others are building and lose your way. Good luck getting your model mojo back! :lol:

I don't fight it. Sometimes I'm fired up and amazingly productive, other times I don't bother to hit the workbench for weeks. I am inspired by getting something done, and seeing other new models built by others. Or sometimes just by seeing a new kit, or getting a new idea on an old one. I keep my builds as simple as possible so I try not to get too mired in complications. Sometimes complications inspire me to keep working, other times they leave me frustrated and I put them aside.

I have two complicated builds that I started this year and they're the ones getting the least attention. One is a Dodge Magnum wagon mated w/the front/rear end of a Nissan GTR-34 Skyline, the other is a vintage AMT Astro I that I'm spending a lot of time getting the working opening canopy to mate properly with the rest of the model, and still open and close properly (I could see that it's a nightmare on the 1:1 as well, which is always displayed w/the canopy partly ajar). The Magnum was from my own twisted mind, the Astro I was inspired by seeing the real deal at a car show this past spring, and realizing the AMT kit that I have is pretty accurate.

Meanwhile I built two curbside models in the past month that each took less than a day apiece to get finished. As soon as I get a model finished I'm generally ready to get back to building something else.

Whatever, don't stress over model cars. Whether it takes building something simple/different, or just getting something done, going to a show, or avoiding them completely to recharge your batteries, just do what feels right.

I like the raw stages of a build, where you can see the slice & dice work and all the neat things prior to paint. I could build like that forever. Maybe prime a body here and there. I get to the finish paint and assembly state and I too lose interest.

I have about 10 stalled projects that are close to being done too, just can't always motivate myself to finish something even for a show. I did get burned out rushing things for contest deadlines, maybe that's what did it to me.

Bob

I get real bored if I work on one model at a time. So I normally work on two at a time so if one is drying then I can work on the other one. I also like to go to car shows to get an idea for a new project. Another thing I like to do is to go to a hardware store or craft store and look around and find cool things that might work on a model car like I just some fake jewels that look realy cool on the rims of a car. Also I like to try and mix paint to get a new color or try to make the paint look different on a car like spraying a car black then standing far away and spray it with gold so it has gold sparkles in it.

I find that just making something different from the box art and using parts from other kits makes it fun. :lol:

I going through a serious modelers block right now, I can get something in primer, but thats about as far as I can get it. I've been working on an AMT 75 Blazer for about a month, got it in primer, then lost interest, 2 weeks ago I started an AMT 94 F150 Lightning, then I just lost interest in that and can't seem to find anything I want to build.

I like the raw stages of a build, where you can see the slice & dice work and all the neat things prior to paint. I could build like that forever. Maybe prime a body here and there. I get to the finish paint and assembly state and I too lose interest.

I have about 10 stalled projects that are close to being done too, just can't always motivate myself to finish something even for a show. I did get burned out rushing things for contest deadlines, maybe that's what did it to me.

Bob

Bob you are the ying to my yang (the other half for those not familiar with eastern philosophy). The cut, sand, fill, and sand some more phase, is the one I like the least. It is the motivation that caused me to start the project in the first place and the completion of subassemblies that keeps me going through that low cycle of the build process. A finished engine, wheel assemblies, or a polished body ready for BMF are the things that get me amped.

Next up on the Thrill-O-Meter is slipping that body over a completed chassis. It's only the close proximity of my neighbors that keeps me from fits of delirious laughter like those uttered by Dr. Frankenstein in the original movie. "Alive" I tell you.

The ultimate is the "photo session" with the completed model. In other words my enjoyment seems to run in direct contravention to yours. Different strokes huh?

my way of getting past a slump is to do a quick build, or go completely off in some wild tangent and build something ultimately more complex....the last 2 kits that have gotten most of my attention are fujimi enthusiast kits!!! My thing is I go head first into a project, not knowing completely how I want to finish it, and I get these big plans and do a lot of work, then I just flat loose steam. Case in point - my Dohc Duece and the 68 Camaro i've done major work to, but they got to a point of being too much and i've totally lost interest because there is a ton of work left to do just to get each ready for paint, and the time I have to do that kind of work is extremely limited these days, with buying a house, having a kid, working a full time job(soon to be 2 again) and still doing the honey-do's around the house. But thats what the hobby is to me, what I do to relax, when my wife and daughter go away for a week to see her parents, I do nothing but relax and build! They usually head out about every month and a half. Anyway good luck to getting out of your slump...we've all been there.

Gray

I get blocked when trying to fabricate something from scratch and not having the best luck the first time around. Since this usually needs to get completed before I do certain other work, everything sits, even though there are lots of other things to work on. Lately I have been doing one project at a time, although my current project is the double deuces. My stickers on this one is scratch building the exhaust manifolds on a Boss 429 engine, and using liquid silver tube beads for piano hinges for the hoods. Last night I started bending styrene rod for the exhausts and this is going better. The hinges are ambitious and very tedious to assemble- so far I have one hood with the center hinge completed, but I still have to do the hinges for each side- then I get to do the other hood! The main thing here is that the tubes are butt cemented to the edge of the hood with superglue, and when trial fitting they can break loose. Hopefully a little reinforcement with superglue from the underside will get things strong enough for paint and final assembly! Remember, I do this for fun and relaxation!?!? :D:lol: :twisted:

We've all been there brother !

FO me it was always building an old faithful lit...liek an MPC vette. SOmethign I have built a hundred times..

Try the Revell Chippers...they are a blast, easy to build and fast to get done...you can spend a lot of time, or paint it and throw it together. Give it a whirl..

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but I see most of the replies were made during the summer. I know that historically, I don't get much model building done in the warm months. Too many house duties, doing things for and with the kids, etc, etc....

Once there's a chill in the air and the time change has come , along with the sun going down earlier, I'm much more liable to pull my model tools up to my favorite chair, turn on the tv, and crack open a kit box then scrape, paint or glue to my heart's content.

The main thing I do during the summer is organize my building and if I can, score some needed parts for an upcoming build.

We all get modelers block!!! Generally I find myself moving to a different project or finishing an old one. Of course my hobby room has FINALLY got permanent again! Had it in old house for 25 years +, I moved to a new home and had all models and hobby room in a 10 x 10 shed. Built 10x18 room in basement and moved all there. For now no block!! :D<_<:D Paul

I agree with ModelMartin, finishing a model gets me on a roll, and gives me the pride and satisfaction of accomplishing something. I faced this recently. I was hip deep in a build that just wasn't going anywhere So I decided to try to slam something together in a weekend. It took a few weeks, due to a shortage of supplies, but making visible progress was really a boost. I built a tamiya kit, I was able to plow through the kit quickly because the kit was well engineered and the parts did not require cleanup. So, if you are still in a slump, find a Tamiya kit in your stash and have at it!

P7110126-vi.jpg

If you don't then I am sure you have a 80s monogram muscle car kit in your stash, Last year in another slump I built the yellow '70 malibu kit, just like the box art, I really enjoyed building this one too.

PC160104-vi.jpg

so, what happened? Did you ever find some inspiration?

Some people frown on video games, but when i get a little blocked I fire up the playstation, and play some Gran Turismo 4. Not only is it fun, but a lot of the cars featured are available as Models. There is nothing like the sound of revving engines, and sqealing tires to get the Testors glue running in your veins. This game is so realistic that you can almost smell the gas and burning rubber. The real cool thing is you can save screen shots, and print them out for a little inspiration at the bench.

IMG0019-vi.jpg

IMG0017-vi.jpg

BuickFive-vi.jpg

Buicksix-vi.jpg

C5ZO62-vi.jpg

C5ZO63-vi.jpg

Jaguar2-vi.jpg

You can't fight it. Speaking for myself, here....If I force myself to build when I really don't want to, then the build is of lesser quality AND I'm more prone to make major mistakes.

I can go months without building, if the spark is not there, although, I have to say, the spark IS usually there.

For me, usually, it's the other way around....I WANT to build, but can't...I have a very small house so when I want to do something else...anything else...I have to take down my modeling stuff. Sometimes I want to do models at the same time. (Working on a fold up card table-not ideal, but all I've got!) Also, when it's hot out, and humid, I can't work. I cannot stand heat...so I just sit in my room with the AC on, checking the board or playing Xbox or reading DC comics. Right now, it's 83 degrees out, with 52% humidity and 64 Dew Point...so it's pretty dang hot! Going to get even hotter...SO...I can't work right now, even though I just got my first Model King Torino last night and am itching to do some work on it :rolleyes:

ALSO...nothing is better for making me want to build then going to a TNMCC meeting or a model show!

I may be wrong but, isn't a "hobby" something that you do in your spare time to relax? At least for me it is.

I have other hobbies other than model car building. I put jigsaw puzzles together, glue them, frame them, and hang em on walls. I also do Pysanka (ukrainian easter egg decorating). Both of these hobbies require some degree of skill and patience, and have a visual reward when completed.

When I get "burnout" or not getting the relaxation and pleasure from one, I just put it up and switch to another. After completing a puzzle, or a few eggs, I'm usually more than ready to get back to my cars.

Ah.... the dreaded builder's block. I've gone a couple weeks to about a month where I don't even look at my bench or have the inspiration/desire to build. Here's some things that I do to get out of it -

-Do a simple, box-stock build. No frills, just fun

-Build something I normally don't build - A sci-fi ship, motorcycle, diorama, or something along those lines

-Christmas kits - I make it a point to build at least one kit from Christmas every year, and that breaks a slump

-Find inspiration in something else - i.e. I built a 1/24 Camaro to match a 1/64 Dub City diecast I had, and a friend of mine broke a slump for me when he challenged me to build a lowrider to match the small diecast lowrider bike I had on my workbench.

-Ask the kids - I've let my son pick out a kit that "Daddy should build".

-Paint - find an excuse/kit to use a new paint scheme or color on

Hope this helps!

Some people frown on video games, but when i get a little blocked I fire up the playstation, and play some Gran Turismo 4. Not only is it fun, but a lot of the cars featured are available as Models. There is nothing like the sound of revving engines, and sqealing tires to get the Testors glue running in your veins. This game is so realistic that you can almost smell the gas and burning rubber. The real cool thing is you can save screen shots, and print them out for a little inspiration at the bench.

That's what I miss about no TV, can't play GT4

I think I left it at 78%, only four or five races to go (the 24 hour, two 12 hour, and I forget), and the final of the test section

I would spend hours in front of that

maybe one day I'll get a boob tube again

but then, less time to build, right?

Don't you love how these topics go off course sometimes?

Darin, love the screen shots

I hope my saved "adventures" are still on my memory cards

Guest roadkill2525

Darin I like the shots of the GNX.

I usually fight my boredom by

look for a job, number one priorty

playing Battlefield 2, not that great but can get the job done

screen002.jpg

working on my Camaro

done stuff around the house

go driving with my friends

if im really stressed on a build I go to the range and practice my marksmenship