Model Cars Magazine Forum

442 Monkee Mobile

Psychographic

Overall, I like the shape of the Monkee Mobile, but not the roof. It's too big and bulky for my liking. So it was off to ebay to look for a cheap donor. I was hoping to find something that would really alter the shape and think i found it, a 69 Olds 442.

I had already removed about 1/4" from behind the rear wheelwells of the Monkee Mobile.

The donor marked for the first cuts.

P4280589.jpg

And the first test fit.

P4280590.jpg

Ok, it looks like it'll fit. Time for some fine tuning on the cuts.

P4280592.jpg

Blending the two body lines.

P4290594.jpg

P4290596.jpg

Some filler pieces are added to the rear.

P4290593.jpg

At this point I was afraid I'd never get the MM rear to work with the 442 roof/trunk. So far I like it, but I need some more time to stare at it.

A little more shaping.

P4290597.jpg

P4290599.jpg

When I initially fit the 442 to the MM, I had to narrow the 442 in the front. Now that it's time to fit the rear of the hood and windshield, I had to widen the MM to fit the 442 pieces. Two strips of .040 fit perfect.

P5010600.jpg

The Monkey Mobile was based on a GTO and the GTO shares a platform with the Cutlass so everything should line up fairly close.

Well, yes, but remember- mixing kits from different manufacturers and eras doesn't always net the kind of predicable results parts swapping among the 1:1 cars might. B) Just ask the Revell '67 Chevelle pro street chassis and AMT '66 442 body I recently joined. :lol:

I'm already liking how this one's shaping up- it would look cool even if the project stalled where it is... THAT's how much I'm digging it!

This is the coolest mix& match I've seen in quite some time. So far it appears to be working well. I picture a Riviera boat tail trunk/rear window treatment on this one. Just a thought. Very cool imagineering here! Hat's off. Bart

This is a combination I don't think I'd ever thought of. If you're wanting to take it a step further, what about the rear glass from the late model Corvette?

When I read the title I thought that's going to be ugly and just not appealing. WRONG!

I'm looking forward to see where you take this one. Looks like a good mental stimulus.

Great idea David, I just saw one of these with a '67 GTO roof molded onto it, but it looks like the Cutlass roof is a better fit by far! Good idea to reduce the front end length too, it would have been horribly unbalanced if you hadn't modified it!

Thanks guys.

I honestly don't see how a boat tail could be incorporated into this roof. I think the beauty of this merge is the body line from the 442 that comes off the back window and becomes the peaks on the quarters blends perfectly into the peaks of the MM. Wow, that was a long sentence!

What I might do is subtly extend the pocket the chute sits in upwards into the trunk about half way to the window.

Now THAT's a cool roof graft! It gives that Monkeemobile a whole new tough look. I'll be watching this one.

2 things:

1: Have you considered closing off the hole in the hood? (leaving the huge peak down the center)

2: I went with your idea on my Merc, check it out.

This build has a name, Quicksilver, so far it has flowed together effortlessly. This will also be a tribute to another fallen friend. My friend Pete had me pinstripe, letter and do graphics on everything he owned, Cars, trucks, boats, snowmobiles, excavating equipment, kitchen cabinets, and yes even his last ride, a casket. All of Pete's fun stuff was painted silver and blue and named Quicksilver. So this one's for Pete.

Now THAT's a cool roof graft! It gives that Monkeemobile a whole new tough look. I'll be watching this one.

2 things:

1: Have you considered closing off the hole in the hood? (leaving the huge peak down the center)

2: I went with your idea on my Merc, check it out.

Closing the hood would entail a lot of work, the area front to back of the engine compartment drops about 1/4" at least. I would have to slope it, and I doubt that would look good, or raise the grill, again I don't see it looking good.

I will play off the engine opening to make some kind of cool looking induction system. Something like the one on the Sillhouette I did.

PC060001.jpg

I'll go check out the Merc.

Edited by Psychographic