Model Cars Magazine Forum

442 Monkee Mobile

Psychographic

I glued the dash to the door panels to fill and shape them as one unit, once dry I will cut them apart with a razorsaw. This should make shaping them easier.

P5230731.jpg

I keep a bottle of scrap plastic melted in cement for filling areas that I need a lot of strength. This should allow me to cut through a nice solid chunk of plastic, instead of a few tiny pieces glued together.

P5230732.jpg

I glued the dash to the door panels to fill and shape them as one unit, once dry I will cut them apart with a razorsaw. This should make shaping them easier.

P5230731.jpg

I keep a bottle of scrap plastic melted in cement for filling areas that I need a lot of strength. This should allow me to cut through a nice solid chunk of plastic, instead of a few tiny pieces glued together.

P5230732.jpg

Lookin' cool!

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, I started two other projects during this build. One a 50 Chevy P.U./58 T-Bird cross and a split window Vette/ Silhouette cross.

As for the MM, I've got one door about done with mock up. This is my first time opening doors. It's a bit of work, I hope they get easier as I go.

P7310263.jpg

I started to build this engine for the SilhouVette, but it won't fit the way I want it. With the engine bay of the MM, I thought it would work good.

It's the small block from the Ertyl 63 Vette. I took the weber carb intake from the kit's optional big block, sectioned the middle, shortened opposing ends to fit the SB and offset them, and finally mounted them backwards.

P7290246.jpg

I needed 8 arched tubes to mount the Webers. After about 20 or more, I finally had 8 on my desk, the rest were playing "Carpet Hide & Seek", or in the scrap pile.

P7290244.jpg

For someone with about 0 patience, you could imagine the fun of aligning two tubes to each carb, then while the cemented glue is still pliable, align all 8 tubes into the intake.

P7290247.jpg

P7290248.jpg

Sitting in the MM,

P7310259.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

The combination of imagination, great design sense and craftsmanship is a treat to see. Thanks for sharing. Here's a suggestion for wheels - the strong look of the car seems to want something purposeful and unusual. This is a modified Porsche racing wheel.

post-2610-0-83522600-1343829874_thumb.jp

I'm no Chivy expert, but aren't those big block valve covers on your small block?

I don't know where those Valve Covers are from, or are they from Big Block or Small Block, but in 1:1 Scale there are SBC Valve Covers, what look just like that. ;) I guess there's one pair of them still in the garage.

You're doing great job on this! Engine looks very good, and the body design is great. I have one Monkees Mobile too, I got it free while back. Maybe something like this would get me going.

Two questions:

I'm no Chivy expert, but aren't those big block valve covers on your small block?

And I guess the hood is molded shut with that intake set-up?

But those nits aside, it's coming along nicely. Amazing creativity.

Those are the valve covers from the kit for the small block, they are a bit long aren't they? They're not on permanently, they are just on the block for clearance of the new intake. The engine in the kit isn't much, beside the oversized valve covers, there is a considerable chunk of the block missing. I guess the crank pulley is magnetically connected to the crankshaft.

The engine is just sitting there for a visual. I haven't decided how it will work with the hood yet.

Dave hurry up and figure out the hood so I came do mine!!!!!!!

I really like that engine in there wish I had thought of it first :D

I wouldn't want to have figure out a hinge for a reverse opening hood on this kit. I have no idea how you are going to pull that off, but I'm sure you will!