Model Cars Magazine Forum

how often do you pay full price for kits?

Something I was thinking about recently after picking up a 62 Impala kit this weekend at Hobby Town and paying full price for it. I realized this is the first time in a long time I've done this. With 40 and 50% off cupons readily available for places like michaels and hobby lobby it's easy to get good deals.

So, how likely are you to buy a kit at full price?

Well it depends, but 95% of the time I wont, and even the times I do, I find ways to save money, for example, I sometimes buy kits from Tower Hobbies, I used their free shipping codes, still paying full price, but saving on shipping. Now I buy a lot of Japanese Manufacturers kits, and it seems like those are hard to get a good price, again I will find the best deal on what I want. I dont think I have bought a kit from a LHS in around a year.

I know many will tell you that they do to support their LHS, which is great, I like to save money, I still buy all my supplies from the LHS though.

Its so easy now a days to find the model kit you want at a much lower price then MSRP.

Occasionally. The more expensive stuff I will shop online for. But if it's some 20, 25 dollar model and I see it at the LHS and I really want it, I get it right then. It isn't worth it to me to go thru the trouble of finding the best deal online and waiting forever to get it just to save a few dollars.

I don't think I've paid an MSRP since the 60's! When K-Mart used to sell models, even their prices weren't MSRP prices. The box said 2.00 but the K-mart price was 1.50! So, in all honesty I haven't paid MSRP since the late 60's, early 70's BEFORE all the discount stores came into being. I'll NEVER pay MSRP's NOW. I'll get them on line or use the Micheal's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby coupons. Even my friend Tom, who's also a vendor/member of our club doesn't charge MSRP for his kits. I paid 22 bucks for my Mobius Chrysler 300, which I felt was fair.

My LHS is a small one owner shop that does a good job keeping supplies stocked for such a small store and I always pay the price when buying there. It's the only place within an hour's drive I can get anything and I want to help what I can to keep him in business.

Almost never . I have and use ebay but even getting a deal sometimes really isn't when you factor in the shipping charges. I try to buy at Hobby Lobby with the coupon and the one by me has a pretty good selection but not as good as a hobby shop.

I use the same LHS and the owner does not charge full retail for the kits. Hudsons and the latest 300's were around the 24 dollar mark. I try to buy at least some of the kits there to keep him going. Sometimes he does have a higher price than a kit at a show and if it is more than $5 I may wait for a show. He also works with our club and if we order a case of kits he will usually give us the equivalent of a show price. Hudson convertibles were $21 each, Hemi Darts we got for $18. I also buy my supplies there as well. He keeps his inventory very small, but is I know a new kit is out or I need something he orders it in within a week and luckily he is only a mile or two form the house so it is not too much trouble to stop back up the next week. I will stop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels when there are 40 and 50% off coupons, but the selection is usually limited, although every now and then you find something that is worth it.

The only time I pay full retail is at my LHS. He offers 10% discount to club members but, usually forgets unless you ask him and I never ask. Last time he offered me a discount he took one dollar off a $25 model, do the math. Lol. I only buy new issues from him that I can't get any where else or when he buys collections I will pick out one or two. I like the swap meets and shows best.

I use the same LHS and the owner does not charge full retail for the kits. Hudsons and the latest 300's were around the 24 dollar mark. I try to buy at least some of the kits there to keep him going. Sometimes he does have a higher price than a kit at a show and if it is more than $5 I may wait for a show. He also works with our club and if we order a case of kits he will usually give us the equivalent of a show price. Hudson convertibles were $21 each, Hemi Darts we got for $18. I also buy my supplies there as well. He keeps his inventory very small, but is I know a new kit is out or I need something he orders it in within a week and luckily he is only a mile or two form the house so it is not too much trouble to stop back up the next week. I will stop at Hobby Lobby and Michaels when there are 40 and 50% off coupons, but the selection is usually limited, although every now and then you find something that is worth it.

Pretty much what I'm talking about. I just don't have money to throw at the LHS to keep him in business, I'm retired! I try to do my part for him by bringing others to him.

It seems paying full price today is not the norm. I do like to support my LHS's, but when there are coupons and other deals to be had, you have to take advantage of it. One of the LHS buys in bulk for their online catalog which brings their prices down $3-$5 per kit. The other one I go to has a monthly e-newsletter that has a 10% coupon, but with some restrictions. I do use the 40% and 50% coupons at Michael's, but their selection leaves a lot to be desired...they're not a hobby store. And then there is ebay. That is a hit or miss source for kits. Combined or free shipping is a plus, but you have to deal with other thirsty buyers for the same kits sometimes. But, BIN is an option too if available for what you want. So, basically I've stopped or rarely pay full retail price for kits. Lets face it...our hobby can and is getting expensive, and any way to save some $ is a plus so we can keep building. I know there are other sources I haven't mentioned to buy and save, but like most of us here, I'm still exploring where to save. Other sites, yard sales, swap meets...been there too. In other words...if you've got a computer, you do if you're reading this, you're not trying hard enough if you still pay full retail. There's always deals and ways to save on what you want.

I hardly buy any kits any more! Like most people, I want value for my buck so I shop around on some items and rarely will I pay retail for a kit. I always pick up paint, supplies, tools, decals, whatever at the LHS. I always buy my Model Cars mag at the LHS but that other mag not so much!

I seldom buy model kits anyplace but a LHS, and I don't quibble too much about the price either. I figure it this way: I WANT that LHS to be there the next time I visit, and the next, the next, the next and the next. If all any of us did was to rely on an LHS for just glue and paint--how long do you think they would stay in business? (having spent a 30-yr stretch of my life working in, and owning a LHS, I can tell you, none of them will last very long selling only paint, glue and miscellaneous supplies.

So call me old-fashioned, but trust me, if the time ever comes when model car kits completely lose shelf space in a retail store (Brick & Mortar), it won't be but a pretty short time and you will see NO model car kits, even online.

There is a "HIGH COST" to low prices, more often than most people think.

Art

I had a feeling these were the responses that would be here. With the price of kits going up, I wonder if a small part of that is due to retailers getting less than full price for them. I realize there are a lot of contributing factors to pricing a kit; new tool development, cost of productions, shipping and fuel costs, marketing etc. But if say, 75% of kits that are priced at $25, sell for 40% off, it kind of makes sense to raise the price too, to get a little more from the discount buyers.

Its all relative these days too. Just like most other things, the price goes up and we have to try to get the most for our money.

How many times do you get new released kits from the 40% off places ? That's why I go to the LHS. I'm also partial to one shop in particular as I feel the other doesn't really cater to the plastic enthusiast, or for that mater really care about their customers.

I don't think I've paid an MSRP since the 60's! When K-Mart used to sell models, even their prices weren't MSRP prices. The box said 2.00 but the K-mart price was 1.50! So, in all honesty I haven't paid MSRP since the late 60's, early 70's BEFORE all the discount stores came into being. I'll NEVER pay MSRP's NOW. I'll get them on line or use the Micheal's, JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby coupons. Even my friend Tom, who's also a vendor/member of our club doesn't charge MSRP for his kits. I paid 22 bucks for my Mobius Chrysler 300, which I felt was fair.

By JoAnn's do you mean JoAnn Fabrics? Do they have kits? I've never been in there. If they do, how is the selection?