Model Cars Magazine Forum

'33' Willys Gasser

What engine you going to use? You can use anything from a 350 cu inch engine up to 560 cu inches or so. The stock weight of a model 77 1933 Willys is approx. 2,050 pounds. One modified with a modern V-8, tranny and rear end with roll bars etc should weigh in the neighborhood of 2800 pounds. The weight breaks for the AA/GS class was 5 pounds per cubic inch to 7.99 pounds per cubic inch. At 5 pounds thats 560 cubes and at 7.99 pounds thats 350 cubes. So you see you can legally run anything anywhere in between the 350 and 560. Although I doubt you'd see very many small blocks running in the AA class up against the bigger cubic inch engined cars... (1970 rules)

Body looks great. Looking forward to the chassis and running gear!

Here are some more pics showing the chassis and suspension, tires and engine. I'm using the kit wheels with the Ramcharger FED rear tires and Polar Lights funny car front tires (that i cast myself). I'm going to use the kit engine as is and add some kind of scoop, since the original 'mailbox' scoop is no longer in the kit. Thanks for looking.

IMG-20120827-00017.jpg

IMG-20120827-00016.jpg

IMG-20120827-00015.jpg

• 1 year later...

Nice paint work Jason, looks like you are well on your way to a really nice Gasser.

Were the molds cleaned up at all on the Round II reissue of the Ohio George kit?

The last one that I bought was one of the mid eighties reissue. Mold lines were bad, though not as bad as someone recently posted where there is a good 1/8 inch of flash hanging off the front clip. That's just a bit excessive, whomever is putting out that kind of junk should be forced to sit down and put like a couple hundred of them together with flawless paint!

I built the original issue of the Ohio George Gasser, the mold lines were pretty much what was on the rest of the models being sold at the time. They didn't hide mold lines as much back then, that one piece front end must have been a toolmaker's nightmare figuring out where to place the mold lines in the first place.