Model Cars Magazine Forum

suggestions anyone...

good morning all...i ran out of room to display my models in my den... awhile ago a friend gave me a cd...movie cabinet thingy..it was meant to sit on the floor i mounted it on the wall...here is my problem...the shelves are are centered in the cabinet leaving about an inch gap in the rear and 3/4" in the front...i want to make new shelves so i can put 2 models in each cubby...i really dont want to use wood and i want the new shelves to be on the narrow side hoping to find something easy to cut...i know there is something out there im not thinking of so lets hear ur suggestions...thanks...

modelshelf.jpg

Edited by outlaw035

was hoping for something other then Plexiglas

If you don't want to use wood, and you don't want to use Plex, then glass looks like your only option. If you have a glass or mirror shop nearby, not only will they cut each shelf to whatever size you want, they'll also round over and polish the edges if you want them to. It gives a real nice, finished look.

Use glass. If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they'll cut it to any size for free. From the looks of that, you're probably looking at maybe $2-$3 per shelf....won't get much cheaper or easier than that.

Thats what I would use. It'll actually brighten up the black cabinet some when light hits it

I think glass is your best bet. As others have said you can have it cut to size. It won't scratch like Plexi could . If you mount an under cabinet light at the top the glass will allow the light to funnel down to other levels if shelves not too crowded. If you rule out wood and Plexi I don't think you have many choices other than the glass.

If it were mine, I would get rid of those vertical dividers in the middle (if possible) and have one solid shelf the entire width of the shelf. Like others have said, you can get glass cut very cheaply.

if you want the same material that is already there. home depot and lowes sells those same shelves in certain lengths and they have the holders that fit the original holes that are already there. only thing is you would have to cut the shelves to fit. i used some for a glass cabinet and they worked out great.

Out of the box you say? If you were shelving diecast I would say magnetic levitation but you would probably go broke buying superconductors. Since that won't work for plastic maybe David Blaine or Chris Angel could whip something up.

Maybe hire some retired umpa loompa's to hold the models up?

oompa-loompa-34_zpsb9dafdfd.jpg

eliminate the shelves alltogether...

buy a roll of magnetic sheeting,

paint the back of the cabinet to look like an arial view of a parking lot, park, or whatever you decide,

glue a magnet to the bottom of a model,

put said model on the back of the cabinet to look like its in a car show setting...make the cabinet a diorama