Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

Just idle speculation at this point AFAIK. Since R-M has done the '70 AAR twice before (albeit in 1/24th), I wouldn't expect one necessarily soon....

Yes, but they did it so poorly the first two times, I think they owe us one more shout at it, wouldn't you say? Third time's the charm, so they say....

This kit begs for a bench seat, flat hood, steelies, caps and a slant 6!

I'm messing around with the idea of building one just that way, wearing a brown paint job no less. B)

For those who have the kit do the Ralley Wheels look correct for a 15" wheel on a Hemi Cuda? They don't look like they can possibly be deep enough and I was wondering if I should consider maybe Scale Equipment LTD wheels? BTW are they still in business? Thanks

For those who have the kit do the Ralley Wheels look correct for a 15" wheel on a Hemi Cuda? They don't look like they can possibly be deep enough and I was wondering if I should consider maybe Scale Equipment LTD wheels? BTW are they still in business? Thanks

Dave...they look fine to me. The holes are also molded open which certainly helps with the paint detailing,...TIM

$T2eC16ZHJIkFHR50mZl2BSeEkuUumw~~60_3.JP

Thanks Casey...that's the one! TIM

I just bought one today and when I opened it the first thing I checked out was the body were the mold lines are to be removed on the a pillar along the roof and the b pillar the drip rail just below that mold line on both sides of the body the drip rail is very light there.I have two more comming I sure hope that this is just a issue with the kit I bought has anyone else see this yet with the kits any one else bought yet? the front and rear window moldings are there the barefoil but the drip rails for the sides are somthing else.

Latest build updates...

"Carpet" area of floorboard masked off and sprayed with DullCote for a more, well, carpet-like appearance...

DSC_0619-vi.jpg

"Pistol Grip" shifter....still need to do a bit of paint touchup on this piece and one other one show further below...and yes, I got rid of the parting line at the top of the shifter boot after I took this picture....

DSC_0631-vi.jpg

Revell provides decals for both the IP face and the individual gauges (the latter attaching to a clear lense attached to the back of the IP); plenty of Micro Sol made sure the decal eventually snuggled down....managed to spill some black paint on and just below my carefully detailed heater controls cluster....have since cleaned this up and re-drybrushed....

DSC_0636-vi.jpg

Rear chassis showing the Dana axle, rear leaf spring suspension, and exhaust system. I removed the copyright engraving behind the rear tank but left a second set of copyright engraving in the area below the axle untouched, thinking it would not show. At least in the 1000x1000 digital pictures, it does show, as you can clearly observe. Something to keep in mind if you are building this as a contest model...

DSC_0624-vi.jpg

Here the engine is largely complete (it has been fully completed after this photo was taken). Note the oil filter decal, the detailed carbs, and the Street Hemi Orange overspray on the factory exhaust manifolds - replicating the 1/1 scale factory restorations of this engine. The kit's Hemi valve covers are plated (vs. bodycolor), so I left them plated (reflecting a possible "Day Two" configuration for this 1/25th scale 'cuda owner) rather than stripping them and painting them textured flat black, which is the correct configuration for a factory fresh restoration.

DSC_0633-vi.jpg

Finally, a shot of the heater hoses and upper radiator hose with the Revell kit decal markings applied...

DSC_0629-vi.jpg

Should have another update soon with the completed engine and completed interior...

Thanks for looking...TIM

Stopped by my local hobby shop, and whohoo they had them on the shelf. only bought one.

( Hobby Villa for the northern Ky locals )

With a very quick overview. It looks fantastic . A few flaws I would like to point out is the body line on the rear quarter panels fades out pretty bad and IMO will take some work to correct . And the wheel arches / lips are way to pronounced.

Otherwise I REALLLLLLLLY like it :D

Oh and btw. an MPC hood is too wide but would be an easy fix to make work ,more on that later.

As it says after 'IN STOCK SHIPPING NOW!' --First 26 kit purchases will ship immediately

Purchases thereafter will ship November 30th

Yeah, I spotted this when I ordered mine Rob, but within 24 hours of ordering, it was displayed as "posted", ETA Thu. 28 Nov. - Mon. 9 Dec. :unsure:

This is to Australia as well, and no, I'm not complaining. :lol:

Tim, more great progress from you, thanks heaps. I am now looking forward to this more than I have regarding 1/25 for a long time. B)

Trouble is, I only ordered 1 .......maybe I should've got a couple. :( Next time. :D

I think the AMT F60x15 RWL tires would look real good on the Cuda.

David, not only do they look good, they fit perfectly - a straight swap, no kitbashing. TIM

(PS for you non Mopar Muscle Mavens out there, all '70 Hemi 'cudas came factory equipped with Goodyear Polyglas GT F16-15 RWL tires...TB)

Edited by tim boyd

DSC_0345-vi.jpg

The more I peruse this decal sheet , the more impressed I am with its contents ; I'm especially in love with those custom Hockey Stick-type stripes !

My only *complaint* has to do with the "CUDA" plates . I'll definitely give Revell-Monogram credit for employing the lesser-seen 1982-1988 "Golden State" ( colloq : "Sunrise" ) plates ; however , that "CUDA" font is entirely too big , and too narrow . I believe that a 'scan-resize-and-print-on-new-decal-paper' action may be in order on an in-my-house basis .

BTW , Tim , are you planning to add flocking to the interior ? Or , is this a relatively quick "build-and-review" project ?

Edited by 1972coronet

The more I peruse this decal sheet , the more impressed I am with its contents ; I'm especially in love with those custom Hockey Stick-type stripes !

My only *complaint* has to do with the "CUDA" plates . I'll definitely give Revell-Monogram credit for employing the lesser-seen 1982-1988 "Golden State" ( colloq : "Sunrise" ) plates ; however , that "CUDA" font is entirely too big , and too narrow . I believe that a 'scan-resize-and-print-on-new-decal-paper' action may be in order on an in-my-house basis .

BTW , Tim , are you planning to add flocking to the interior ? Or , is this a relatively quick "build-and-review" project ?

No flocking this time, it is as you say, exactly, a "relatively quick 'build and review' project....thanks TB

Here are a few shots with the latest progress...

First, the completed engine...

DSC_0638-vi.jpg

Next, the completed interior in 1970 Plymouth code H6B5 'cuda all-vinyl Blue. Note the "'cuda" decal above the door window crank that is provided on the Revell decal sheet. Finally, note the parting line on the far left edge of the instrument panel crash pad that I missed during prep...I am hoping that doesn't show when the interior is inserted in the body, but thought you should be forewarned for your builds!

DSC_0646-vi.jpg

And finally, a shot of the engine compartment side fenderwells, radiator wall, and firewalls. Will probably be several days until the next update...thanks for looking....TIM

DSC_0657-vi.jpg

Edited by tim boyd