Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Added two more to my collection today. Revell's Ed Roth Surfite with figure. And the prepainted figure of Big Daddy looks really good. I like the fact that your given six different decals to customize the blank white t-shirt he's wearing. The Surfite is cool, but I always wanted to build the Tiki Surf Club shack even more. Adding the prepainted Roth figure pushed me over the edge into buying this one.

I also got Monogram's Tom Daniel Ice "T". I've been thinking about this kit for 45 years. It's a cool design (pun not intended). But I've always sat on the fence about buying this one. And I don't know why? But I've finally got one. Now, do I paint it like the box art? Which looks okay, but makes no sense to me. Or do I paint it a nice light, ice blue? What do you think?

Scott

Added two more to my collection today. Revell's Ed Roth Surfite with figure. And the prepainted figure of Big Daddy looks really good. I like the fact that your given six different decals to customize the blank white t-shirt he's wearing. The Surfite is cool, but I always wanted to build the Tiki Surf Club shack even more. Adding the prepainted Roth figure pushed me over the edge into buying this one.

MVC003F-vi.jpg

The Surfite was a typical fiddly Revell kit of the era. The Tiki Hut was a blast. I really enjoyed painting it up.

Ancient Story: The Surfite was issued once, until the release in the 1990s. Rumor was that Ed Roth had gotten involved with Hells Angels and Revell didn't want that association for their model kits, whose primary market was teenagers. It became a $500 kit and there even was a resin kit done before it suddenly reappeared. I was glad to get it since it always was my favorite Roth kit.

I asked Bob Paeth what the story was and he said the rumor about Revell dumping Roth was just a story. The truth was that the kit came out once and just didn't sell. So they didn't bring it back out again. A side story was that the Surfite is a tiny little thing, and when they did the product preview, it was just lost in the standard size Revell box. Executives were concerned that kids would open it and there would be a perception that it wasn't a good value. So the Tiki Hut was conceived. It's primary purpose was to fill the box!

MVC003F-vi.jpg

The Surfite was a typical fiddly Revell kit of the era. The Tiki Hut was a blast. I really enjoyed painting it up.

Ancient Story: The Surfite was issued once, until the release in the 1990s. Rumor was that Ed Roth had gotten involved with Hells Angels and Revell didn't want that association for their model kits, whose primary market was teenagers. It became a $500 kit and there even was a resin kit done before it suddenly reappeared. I was glad to get it since it always was my favorite Roth kit.

I asked Bob Paeth what the story was and he said the rumor about Revell dumping Roth was just a story. The truth was that the kit came out once and just didn't sell. So they didn't bring it back out again. A side story was that the Surfite is a tiny little thing, and when they did the product preview, it was just lost in the standard size Revell box. Executives were concerned that kids would open it and there would be a perception that it wasn't a good value. So the Tiki Hut was conceived. It's primary purpose was to fill the box!

Beautiful job on both the Surfite and the Tiki Hut, Tom. As I noted before, the hut and figure of Big Daddy are the two things that convinced me to buy the kit. The tiki hut is already down stairs get its first coat of paint and Roth has got a decal placed on his shirt. I've started to do some plimanary work on the Surfite itself. As you noted Tom, it is a little "fiddly". But, over all it doesn't seem too bad, and is a lot more interesting design than I expected. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

Forgot to mention, the kit not only comes with the surfboard that fits into the Surfite itself, but two other cool but different surfboards. Plus it now comes with decals for taillights and grille. Making those a lot easier to detail. The kit is very fun. Well worth the price.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Kevin - I've been really curious about that AMX kit. Love the 1:1. But some of the built-ups I've seen have wheels that seem too big. How are they in your kit?

Oh yeah, one of these came in the mail today -

Looks really nice at first glance.

revell-1997-porsche-gt-1-evo-texaco-the-

Good kit, i have several of them. Revell did a good job molding it. Hit me up if you are wanting aftermarket decals for it, i have several sets.

Beautiful job on both the Surfite and the Tiki Hut, Tom. As I noted before, the hut and figure of Big Daddy are the two things that convinced me to buy the kit. The tiki hut is already down stairs get its first coat of paint and Roth has got a decal placed on his shirt. I've started to do some plimanary work on the Surfite itself. As you noted Tom, it is a little "fiddly". But, over all it doesn't seem to bad, and is a lot more interesting design than I expected. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

Forgot to mention, the kit not only comes with the surfboard that fits into the Surfite itself, but two other cool but different surfboards. Plus it now comes with decals for taillights and grille. Making those a lot easier to detail. The kit is very fun. Well worth the price.

Scott

Thanks Scott. This one was built back when the kit first reappeared so I didn't have the Internet for photos and such. I painted it a lighter yellow with a clear metallic over it. I'm pleased and this is how I'd want the real car.

MVC005F-vi.jpg

Here's a rear view, glad to hear they have decals for the grille and tail lights. Painting those were a real itch. A few tips. Double check the fit of the interior into the body. I had to add some plastic around the edge of the bucket to avoid gaps. The rear panel and the two side panels don't fit well. I glued them in, puttied, and then scribed the panel lines. I love the Surfite since it has a Mini Cooper base and was so different from all the other show cars. Enjoy!

I am going to have to buy another one to get the Roth figure.

Thanks Scott. This one was built back when the kit first reappeared so I didn't have the Internet for photos and such. I painted it a lighter yellow with a clear metallic over it. I'm pleased and this is how I'd want the real car.

MVC005F-vi.jpg

Here's a rear view, glad to hear they have decals for the grille and tail lights. Painting those were a real itch. A few tips. Double check the fit of the interior into the body. I had to add some plastic around the edge of the bucket to avoid gaps. The rear panel and the two side panels don't fit well. I glued them in, puttied, and then scribed the panel lines. I love the Surfite since it has a Mini Cooper base and was so different from all the other show cars. Enjoy!

I am going to have to buy another one to get the Roth figure.

Early ads for the Surfite kit describe it as "twice as big as 1/25 scale" (1/12, apparently). A 1/12 scale Surfite kit would probably have fit in a conventional 1/25 scale kit box, and sold for $2 back then. But it wouldn't have fit in with the other Roth car kits, all 1/25 scale. Issuing the Surfite in 1/25 scale left a lot of empty space in the box, so that's where the display comes in.

Postman made me another visit this week. ( gonna have to stop this sooner or later )

Dropped of a really nice 1960 Mercury Parklane convertible builtup .

It looked good in the Ebay pics but wow,, its actually better than I expected . The red is brushed painted ,,otherwise theres not a mark on the body or glass . windshield frame is nice with no cracks . This one might end on up the short list to do

Postman made me another visit this week. ( gonna have to stop this sooner or later )

Dropped of a really nice 1960 Mercury Parklane convertible builtup .

It looked good in the Ebay pics but wow,, its actually better than I expected . The red is brushed painted ,,otherwise theres not a mark on the body or glass . windshield frame is nice with no cracks . This one might end on up the short list to do

Nice Bill! Let me guess.....Does it have the custom tail lights glued in? That was one of the hardest parts about finding a good candidate for restoration. Everybody seemed to want to glue in those "bubble" tail lights, usually ruining the rear bumper. I finally found a good, mostly unbuilt kit without the tail lights installed. I still have a very nice '60 Merc hard top to build. I just need to find a decent rear bumper! :D

Steve

DSCN3173_zpsql1ri0uf.jpg

Nice Bill! Let me guess.....Does it have the custom tail lights glued in? That was one of the hardest parts about finding a good candidate for restoration. Everybody seemed to want to glue in those "bubble" tail lights, usually ruining the rear bumper. I finally found a good, mostly unbuilt kit without the tail lights installed. I still have a very nice '60 Merc hard top to build. I just need to find a decent rear bumper! :D

Steve

DSCN3173_zpsql1ri0uf.jpg

O M G!!!!

That build is just beautiful.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...