Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

4 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Got some new Squadron blades to try for BMF.  Curious though.  The packaging is different than what they showed online.🤔

IMG_2841.jpeg.a5511e1459ca96f50dce120227cf0fc4.jpeg

When you’re done with those get these, and the bottom image is what the blades look like. Can be clipped to use in regular handles. $8-9 a box. 
IMG_1368.thumb.jpeg.e9b12b7576ad49745a4cb8755b97962d.jpeg
IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.8a8e19cf9b9095f2895af45a80aa6ac8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

When you’re done with those get these, and the bottom image is what the blades look like. Can be clipped to use in regular handles. $8-9 a box. 
IMG_1368.thumb.jpeg.e9b12b7576ad49745a4cb8755b97962d.jpeg
IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.8a8e19cf9b9095f2895af45a80aa6ac8.jpeg

That’s how the Squadron blades are supposed to be.  I wonder if hobbylinc sent me the wrong thing, or maybe Squadron changed their blades?  I’m not going to get excited about it because it’s not that much money, but these aren’t what I expected.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

That’s how the Squadron blades are supposed to be.  I wonder if hobbylinc sent me the wrong thing, or maybe Squadron changed their blades?  I’m not going to get excited about it because it’s not that much money, but these aren’t what I expected.

They look like ya everyday xacto blade, but maybe they might perform like surgical blades even though they look like regular blades, but do look pretty close. Hard to tell in the packaging a little bit. 

Edited by Dpate

20 minutes ago, Dpate said:

They look like ya everyday xacto blade, but maybe they might perform like surgical blades even though they look like regular blades, but do look pretty close. Hard to tell in the packaging a little bit. 

At $8-9 for a box of 100, unless these I bought just fall through the plastic, I know what I’ll be getting next time.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomicholiday said:

At $8-9 for a box of 100, unless these I bought just fall through the plastic, I know what I’ll be getting next time.👍

Just look these up on Amazon next you decide to get any. There currently $9.99, and same ones I got just box is different. Just be safe, and extra cautious with xacto blade handle rolling etc. Also the package they come in save so when your blade is done just pop it back in so it can be disposed properly. 
IMG_1374.jpeg.81dcf5b90f824e021d55b35132ad7e47.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, redscampi said:

Recent acquisitions, continuing my obsession with large scale bikes. The Grim Reaper is factory sealed. The Trike is unstarted, but unfortunately missing the decals. The Yamaha was advertised as new but the two halves of the frame are glued. It was a decent job so I decided to let it go. I was able to "repair" the Yamaha's caved in box to a decent condition by using a damp rag and a clothes iron from the inside.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Man, that  Grim Reaper kit is so cool.  I like it..

17 hours ago, TonyK said:

Built the original back when I was younger and bought the re-release not knowing it didn't have the clear body. Stupid me for not paying attention.

Yeah, I thought it was cool, but, it certainly wasn't a dealbreaker, that it's now molded in blue. I would likely have painted it, anyway. I think Petty Blue is also known as Basin Street Blue? It's still kinda cool, to have it back around!

6 hours ago, Dpate said:

Just look these up on Amazon next you decide to get any. There currently $9.99, and same ones I got just box is different. Just be safe, and extra cautious with xacto blade handle rolling etc. Also the package they come in save so when your blade is done just pop it back in so it can be disposed properly. 

I have an old jar with a slit cut in the lid that I use dispose of old "sharps". Definitely don't want to throw them straight into the trash! I've been using scalpel blades a lot, the last few years. The first package I bought came with a flat handle. I've grown to like it. I still buy and use X-Acto blades, too, but, for cutting tiny bits of stock, I've found the scalpel blades to be much more efficient.

16 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

I got some 2 part epoxy putty today.

I really dislike Tamiya and Mr Hobby puttys. They smell bad. They dry weird, meaning the surface dries in minutes making them hard to work with but once they are spread onto a part they take days to fully cure. And they always shrink which requires more than one application of putty, and waiting more days for it to cure.

I was searching for something better and saw a youtube video about two part epoxy puttys.

You knead the two parts together, you press them onto the plastic. And you have a hour or more to shape the stuff. It cures hard in a day. And it doesn't shrink.

I can't wait to try this stuff tonight.

Epoxy putty is great stuff! I think you'll like it. You can smooth it before it cures, by moistening a finger, and working it like clay.

15 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh yeah, that looks nice and minty! Congrats! I have the charger, but sadly, it is not the clear body version. But, I always keep and eye out for one at the shows. 

It really is! Thanks, Jesse! The aroma of wintergreen wafted from the box, when I opened it!😅 I don't mind the Charger having the opaque body, however. Maybe at some point, they'll figure out a way to mold it in the clear plastic, again.

Edited by Straightliner59

12 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Take sprue, odd pieces of styrene, put it in a glass jar of Plastiweld https://www.hobbylinc.com/plastruct-plastiweld-1-plastic-model-cement-00002 and let it melt. If it hardens, add more Plastiweld.

Still, anything that's not catalyzed is prone to shrinkage. And he'd still be dealing with the odor of the glue, when it's spread over a larger area. I don't have anyone to complain, here, so I prefer to use a two-part body putty. Milliput, or other epoxy putties don't reek anywhere near the Bondo, or Evercoat!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Still, anything that's not catalyzed is prone to shrinkage. And he'd still be dealing with the odor of the glue, when it's spread over a larger area. I don't have anyone to complain, here, so I prefer to use a two-part body putty. Milliput, or other epoxy putties don't reek anywhere near the Bondo, or Evercoat!

Good to know. I'm always up for learning. 

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

for true, I've had thin layers of sprue goo soften plastic and shrink for 12 months after I used it for a filler.  It's the fillers that you named for me now.

• Like 1