Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On my way to my Group 25 Model Car Club meeting, I stopped at a LHS, Sunward Hobbies. They have recently moved to a new, much improved location. Much more space in the aisles and greatly increased product on the shelves. Yay! While there I picked up the two smallest sizes of Evergreen tube.

Back in "simpler" times, there were only two paint lines associated with Mr. Hobby, Mr. Hobby (acrylic) and Mr. Color (lacquer). Now they have introduced two more lines, which appear to both be acrylic, Mr. Hobby Acrysion and Mr. Hobby Aqueous. I have no idea what the difference is. I bought one of each of the Pink 19 to test as an undercoat for a red body colour. If anyone knows the diff, please post.

2023-11-11 A.jpg

2023-11-11 B.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

On my way to my Group 25 Model Car Club meeting, I stopped at a LHS, Sunward Hobbies. They have recently moved to a new, much improved location. Much more space in the aisles and greatly increased product on the shelves. Yay! While there I picked up the two smallest sizes of Evergreen tube.

Back in "simpler" times, there were only two paint lines associated with Mr. Hobby, Mr. Hobby (acrylic) and Mr. Color (lacquer). Now they have introduced two more lines, which appear to both be acrylic, Mr. Hobby Acrysion and Mr. Hobby Aqueous. I have no idea what the difference is. I bought one of each of the Pink 19 to test as an undercoat for a red body colour. If anyone knows the diff, please post.

2023-11-11 A.jpg

2023-11-11 B.jpg

Aqueous is 100% non toxic, and the Acrysion this is what I found about it. 
This is an epoch-making paint that can be used for both brush painting and air brush painting. Drying speed is faster than with the existing water based hobby colors, so work efficiency is improved dramatically.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I got the Corvette, 63 Chevy and 70 Monte Carlo last weekend at a toy show in Albany NY. Upon arriving home from the show my friend left the Fiero GT and a piece of cherry cheese cake on the back porch. A nice surprise indeed. The Corvette is build and in the model car section. 

M2.jpeg

David you should like that Monte Carlo kit, it’s a really great kit..

Picked up this lot of Li'l Coffins from ePay. Looks like I can more or less build at least two "stockers" from this and the rest will only need imagination and trips to the parts box. I will have to supply tires for all of them.

99.jpg

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, redscampi said:

Picked up this lot of Li'l Coffins from ePay. Looks like I can more or less build at least two "stockers" from this and the rest will only need imagination and trips to the parts box. I will have to supply tires for all of them.

99.jpg

Nice haul!  I’ve got a couple of those to build - am I right in remembering that this kit has the skeleton figure in the box?

5 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice haul!  I’ve got a couple of those to build - am I right in remembering that this kit has the skeleton figure in the box?

Yessir, you remember correctly. In this case the figure is new and unused. I hadn't realized it was the same figure as the Boot Hill Express minus the hat.

4 hours ago, redscampi said:

Yessir, you remember correctly. In this case the figure is new and unused. I hadn't realized it was the same figure as the Boot Hill Express minus the hat.

Gotta love Mr. Bones.. I wish he was available by himself on a larger scale just for the heck of it. As a lover of all things hearse or horror related I like this kit but I don't have one in my stash yet. I've had my had my fair chances at obtaining one but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the dough on the kit. Now I regret those decisions since everything has skyrocketed. Thanks Joe!  If you go to scalemates and type in this kit there's a neat little review on the kit and some of the inconsistencies between the kit and the real show car.. http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/li-l-coffin 

36 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Gotta love Mr. Bones.. I wish he was available by himself on a larger scale just for the heck of it. As a lover of all things hearse or horror related I like this kit but I don't have one in my stash yet. I've had my had my fair chances at obtaining one but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the dough on the kit. Now I regret those decisions since everything has skyrocketed. Thanks Joe!  If you go to scalemates and type in this kit there's a neat little review on the kit and some of the inconsistencies between the kit and the real show car.. http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/li-l-coffin 

I was extremely fortunate to obtain this lot for the princely sum of 20 bones. The kits on ebay are insanely priced now.

It's interesting to read about the history of the real car. There's a thread on here and some other internet chatter about a guy named Dave Stuckey who worked in Starbird's shop,  who claimed that he was the designer and creator of the car.

8 minutes ago, redscampi said:

I was extremely fortunate to obtain this lot for the princely sum of 20 bones. The kits on ebay are insanely priced now.

It's interesting to read about the history of the real car. There's a thread on here and some other internet chatter about a guy named Dave Stuckey who worked in Starbird's shop,  who claimed that he was the designer and creator of the car.

20 bones! Dang.. You got that right about the insanity with prices. I went to look at them after seeing your original post. Looks like I'll have to give an arm or leg to obtain one. It is a neat kit but I'm not sold on paying the going prices. I'll wait till the bottom drops out and everyone starts selling their kits in order to survive. 😏

I saw that story about starburst shop and who is the real designer. I've heard similar stories about the batmoble. Was it Barris or really Tom Daniels? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redscampi said:

Hey Gary.. I went looking for more info on the li'l coffin and found this. Would be a cool build with one of your extra bodies. 

Screenshot_20231114-120521(1).png

5 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Hey Gary.. I went looking for more info on the li'l coffin and found this. Would be a cool build with one of your extra bodies. 

Well, we will see. That's a really interesting design, if not beautiful. I'm painstakingly removing all of the glued parts that I can from one another without breakage. It's nerve-wracking. We'll see what I have left when I'm done! ;)

7 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

heres the 1990 version before it was restored back to the model kit version. I cant find a decent pic of the 1980 version

196173_ArticleSection_XXXXL_cdd0363c-8353-4bf6-be40-0df80eb6982f.jpg

3 minutes ago, redscampi said:

All I can say is...man they butchered that poor thing. I mean it was the 80's and all but the design choices made by Starbird lend a lot of credence in my mind to the idea that Stuckey did the original design.

its still better than a goerge barris car though

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

I agree. I think Barris is a little over rated.. Just my opinion. This is a also a cool version of the li'l coffin with the Ala-Kart front nose and headlight assembly.

Screenshot_20231114-100244(1).png

Now that is nice. I went looking for more history on this car and found this enlightening article on the Hemming's site. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/01/03/lil-coffin-ii-the-full-size-tribute-to-dave-stuckeys-show-rod-heads-to-auction

Edited by redscampi

6 minutes ago, redscampi said:

Now that is nice.

This is part of the article that went along with that photo. It is a 1:1 car. 

Like most model kit car builders, of course, Kilmer couldn't help but personalize his version. While he kept what is perhaps the Li'l Coffin's signature feature - the cantilevered roof, supported by the rollbar - and made sure it sat low like the original, he went for a somewhat more conventional upright grille flanked by canted headlamp pods ("I never did like the duckbill," he said) and used a semi-circular steering wheel rather than the dragster yoke. Like Stuckey's version, the Li'l Coffin II gets its power from a 291-cu.in. De Soto Hemi V-8 topped with six Stromberg carburetors, and Kilmer said that it does indeed run and drive. "It's not exactly a daily driver, but it runs beautifully," he said. The Li'l Coffin II debuted in 2004 and has since appeared and taken class wins at both the Detroit Autorama and the Grand National Roadster Show. Kilmer said he's putting it up for auction now both because he feels he's accomplished his goal of returning credit for the Li'l Coffin to Stuckey and because he'd rather not see it deteriorate in his garage.

The Li'l Coffin II is scheduled to cross the block with no reserve at Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale auction, scheduled for January 12-19 at Westworld. For more information, visit Barrett-Jackson.com.

UPDATE (19.January 2014): The Li'l Coffin II sold for $80,300.

UPDATE (28.March 2014): The Li'l Coffin II is now for sale on Hemmings.com with an asking price of $125,000

1 minute ago, A modeler named mike said:

This is part of the article that went along with that photo. It is a 1:1 car. 

Like most model kit car builders, of course, Kilmer couldn't help but personalize his version. While he kept what is perhaps the Li'l Coffin's signature feature - the cantilevered roof, supported by the rollbar - and made sure it sat low like the original, he went for a somewhat more conventional upright grille flanked by canted headlamp pods ("I never did like the duckbill," he said) and used a semi-circular steering wheel rather than the dragster yoke. Like Stuckey's version, the Li'l Coffin II gets its power from a 291-cu.in. De Soto Hemi V-8 topped with six Stromberg carburetors, and Kilmer said that it does indeed run and drive. "It's not exactly a daily driver, but it runs beautifully," he said. The Li'l Coffin II debuted in 2004 and has since appeared and taken class wins at both the Detroit Autorama and the Grand National Roadster Show. Kilmer said he's putting it up for auction now both because he feels he's accomplished his goal of returning credit for the Li'l Coffin to Stuckey and because he'd rather not see it deteriorate in his garage.

The Li'l Coffin II is scheduled to cross the block with no reserve at Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale auction, scheduled for January 12-19 at Westworld. For more information, visit Barrett-Jackson.com.

UPDATE (19.January 2014): The Li'l Coffin II sold for $80,300.

UPDATE (28.March 2014): The Li'l Coffin II is now for sale on Hemmings.com with an asking price of $125,000

Hah! I was just looking at that! (See above)