Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best of the GT40 Kits?

Randy D

By the way, Haynes also puts out a Capri Owner's Workshop Manual. Does anybody know, is this done in the same style/format as the Ford GT40 and Ferrari 250 GTO Owner's Workshop Manuals? If it's like the other two, more of a history of Capri rather than a repair or service manual, I may need to add that book to my collection too. There are not a lot of really good history books on the Ford/Mercury Capri out there. Much less 1/25 or 1/24 scale model kits of a Mk I Capri.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I love my first Revell/Fujimi GT40 kit. I'm looking forward to the other Fujimi GT40 and GTO. I'm still debating on hunting down the old Aurora/Revell Ford GT kit. But would like to see more details of the kit. And closer pictures of the kit built straight from box. Also, another fellow blogger here, has offered to sell me an MPC Mk IV at a very reasonable price. I'm looking forward to that too. More details on that later.

Scott

The Aurora/Monogram kit is fairly well detailed but obviously the product of a (pretty much) 50 year old molding. It really only appropriate for an early season 1965 replica (Daytona, Sebring, Lemans Test, Nurburgring). The nose changed significantly for Lemans and after. Also air scoops under the grill are not even suggested. You'll want to change the wheels for any of those races, the wires gave way to Halibrands after Shelby took over running the cars. Pictures, pictures are your friends.

Edited by The Junkman

JC can chime in but I think it's pretty close to pictures I have of the Daytona cars. You can research stuff to death and always finds flaws in any kits. I do recall changing the wheels and using Fred Cady decals but otherwise the kit is stock.

How close is the Aurora Ford GT to what was run in '64?

Scott

The IMC/Testors kit is a representation of the '64 Ford GT. The Aurora/Revell kit is a '65 car and shows Shelby's influence. But if you want to be truly accurate you need to pick a specific car at a specific point in time because the car was constantly evolving.

1964_Ford_GT40Prototype91536-vi.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little follow up to my recent purchase of the old Aurora, now Revell/Monogram Ford GT. I've started doing some basic sub assemblies. And so far I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing. I've already got the engine assembled. Everything fit well and is looking pretty good. So far I'm not see any major problems coming up with this kit. Considering how old it is. The amount of detail, which is a lot for the mid-60's. And the tooling being originally done by Aurora. I'm very impressed. Unlike the IMC Ford GT kits, this kit looks like it's actually buildable. I like it!

I've got a couple in the stash.  AFAIK, the body (with minor mods and a bit of fender widening) is only accurate for a few races in early 1965 (Daytona, Sebring, Nurburgring).  The wheels OTOH need to be swapped out for Halibrands, one of the first changes Carol Shelby made when he was given the job by Ford. https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/rw172kw0571

• 2 months later...

Ford GT and GT40s kits

in my Collection

Completed:

Fujimi GT40 Mk I

Revell/Fujimi GT40 Mk II

MPC GT40 MkIV

Polar Lights 2005 GT

Revell 2015 GT

Unbuilt/being worked on:

Revell-Monogram (Aurora) GT

IMC Avenger GT-12 (Not really a Ford GT. Based on a kit car from the late 60's. VW powered. Designed after the Ford GT.)

So far, I'm very pleased with the 5 kits I've completed. The Fujimi kits were great to build. And they look great finished. The same way with the Polar Lights and Revell snap kits. The MPC kit was pretty good. Not a great kit. Some of the details are not exactly correct based on the real car. But, it's not bad either. I'm please with the results.

The work I've done on the old Aurora tooled kit has gone good so far. It looks like it should turn out fairly well. The IMC Avenger GT-12 has not been started. But, I don't foresee any problems. The Avenger does not have all the seperate moving and opening body panels that the other IMC Ford GT and J-cars model kits have. Test fitting parts looks good so far.

Very interesting read. Loads of info , thanks guys.

I have one question though, what do I have here?

It seems to me I was told years ago but I just can't remember.

Its the MPC Mark IV kit.

Edited by afx

Its the MPC Mark IV kit.

...which has the potential to be quite a nice model, but it needs a fair amount of correcting. It was also the basis for the completely positively 100% incorrect guts under the Hardcastle & Mccormick Coyote kit, issued under both MPC and AMT labels.

Image result for Hardcastle & Mccormick amt model