Model Cars Magazine Forum

The things I've learned over the past 2 weeks.

Lesson #20: Just when you think you're not going to win anything on eBay, you'll win everything you just bid on.

DSC00016-vi.jpg

Back when I really wanted one of these 1950 Ford panel trucks, I got tired of being outbid. Everything was selling for more than $50. So one night I just went and bid $25 on every one listed. And the above happened! Not complaining, I was happy to get them for $20-25 each! The Ace van up front will survive as-is since the colors are cool. The other two will become different year trucks with different livery (eventually).

I really have learned this in the past week

#21, when you find a kit on ebay that want and forgot to place a bid, no one else will bid on it, then when you ask the seller if they are going to relist it and they do, within the first day of said kit being re-listed, someone places a bid on it, DOH!!!!!

23. As soon as you acquire a kit you've been searching for forever for a king's ransom, the reissue will be announced.

This exact thing happened to me with AMT's AMC Matador. How I lusted after that kit, in the "collector" section of my local hobby shop. Hemmed and hawed about buying it. Finally ponied up the cash and bought it, $35 (which, at the time, I was 15 or 16 and that was a good amount of money, back when new kits were like $9).

I still have the old glue bomb in my basement. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another go. It came out pretty good for the time.

Missing parts??
How about putting a Complete Unbuilt one, and 2 restorable's in one large box,

Putting it aside, and then Not finding it for Months!

Still don't know What I did with those 3 Dodge Pickups!!!!

Thought I found them, but the Boot box was Empty!

Missing parts??

How about putting a Complete Unbuilt one, and 2 restorable's in one large box,

Putting it aside, and then Not finding it for Months!

Still don't know What I did with those 3 Dodge Pickups!!!!

Thought I found them, but the Boot box was Empty!

I hope they find their way to my house!

Later-

lesson # 25

your building and feel proud of yourself for getting the result you see in front of you , then you get out the cam and shoot some pictures ...still happy with the whole situation ..

then you plug in the cam and get the pics on your pc ... look at it and think ###### that looks bad :(:blink: sometimes macro shots can be a downer :blink::lol:

tbh most of my pics i like but the above i really experienced in the beginning of the hobby :lol::lol:

lesson # 26

when you dont have a spare room for your hobby and you have to work on the (wooden) dining table and at one point get sick of placing a piece of wood for cutting stuff on on the table ..

at one point you need to put the whole table outside in the sun get a elecric sander and sand the whole table top down and whiote wash it all over again :rolleyes::rolleyes:

just did that and now put a cut piece on the table every time (like i should) :lol:

Edited by crazyrichard

Lesson# 146

Right when you load up your airbrush with paint and start spraying, your mom(yes, I still live with my mother) will want you and only you to do something for her. So you hurry and do what she wanted you to do only to discover that the paint has partially dried in the paint cup. I have short term memory loss and completely forgot about the paint in the airbrush. Some 45 minutes had passed.

RYAN.

lesson #28

while going thru your parts box, you always see that certain part you dont need yet, but say "someday", now "someday" comes and that special part is nowhere to be found. hence wasting valuable building time looking for said certain par.

lesson #29

the insatiable desire to start yet another project. fueled by the purchase of a 5th hudson hornet. (ie - "how many of those do you actually need?" c'mon, we all have heard it !)

lesson #30

every tool is in its place except when you need it. even when you have 6 pairs of tweezers.

lesson #31

honeydo lists ('nuff said)

Edited by tubbs

Lesson# 146

Right when you load up your airbrush with paint and start spraying, your mom(yes, I still live with my mother) will want you and only you to do something for her. So you hurry and do what she wanted you to do only to discover that the paint has partially dried in the paint cup. I have short term memory loss and completely forgot about the paint in the airbrush. Some 45 minutes had passed.

RYAN.

This is so true!

I wanted to start spraying as it rings on the door. I go to the door, it's the postman giving me a package. It's a new kit I waited so long, so I unbox it and look at the parts for a long time. After a few hours I remember that I wanted to spray. The paint is completely dried in the cup. :D

lesson # 25

your building and feel proud of yourself for getting the result you see in front of you , then you get out the cam and shoot some pictures ...still happy with the whole situation ..

then you plug in the cam and get the pics on your pc ... look at it and think ###### that looks bad :(:blink: sometimes macro shots can be a downer :blink::lol:

Agreed, I can look at it for hours and it looks fantastic,Thinking in my head this one ______ come out fantastic then snap a picture and when I post it for all to see. it looks so crappy I almost take the picture back down.

How can all the stress of model building, be so relaxing?

Don't know what number we are on, but Controlling temper while building also prevents many of the cutting, dropping, throwing, crushing incidents that happen in my shop. Oh and the occasional pet annoyance.