Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-han ' 69 Ambassador

smellyfatdude

Just a quick update on this, for now. Here's the body, foil done, front fender emblems painted, glass in. The only thing left before final assembly, is glue in the rear view mirror. Here's the finished engine as well, minus the coil. I used a mixture of parts from the Jo-han kit, the AMT ' 76 Gremlin re-issue, and carbs/air cleaner from the Revell Thunderbolt. The emphasis might be on looks rather than performance, but there'll still be plenty of the latter. ;)

update001m_zps0bbf7089.jpg

update006m_zpse8216e34.jpg

update003m_zpsaff26490.jpg

engine007m_zpsbc0d52b8.jpg

engine009m_zps9d0db12a.jpg

That tends to happen to some people. Myself, When I opened it, I just sniffed all of the 1969 air in the box. That cleared my head. :lol:

Nothing's set in stone, but I do think this wheel/tire combo looks awful nice. ;)

wheels004m_zps07610cbd.jpg

LOL! I joke about that all the time when I open an older, sealed kit! Smell that old air, lol...love it

Very nice work!!! Are we the only two with sealed 69 Ambassador kits!?!?!? I have yet to get the guts to open mine. I am an AMC guy but paid $9 for my kit.....thought I'd flip it....but can't let it go. Thanks for the build....at least I know what the kit looks like!!!

Yes they did, I had a 1966 Ambassador 2dr hard top with a 327 4bbl 3speed auto trans & the fold down Bucket seats & tilt wheel. It also had a torque tube drive shaft I drove my 66 to school (And got laughed at) frequently.

Blue interior as Charlie mentioned before I agree 100%.

When I was in high school my dad had a new '66 Ambassador coupe, and sold it a few years later with only about 10,000 miles on it. It was a very, very nice car, but I'm not sure what the impression might have been if I was in high school 10 years later driving one. My mom was more "thrifty" and drove a '60 Rambler American 2 dr. station wagon. We called it the "little pig", but with that indestructible flathead 6 and the overdrive tranny it would pass just about anything in second gear (just like the song said). The fully reclining seats were outstanding at the drive-ins. Anyway, this Jo-Han Rambler looks great! :)

Flash forward. Just a couple quick shots showing what it looks like on wheels. I shall have to reposition the radiator in the support, to get more clearance because of the longer engine pieces. A minor surgical alteration, had to do the same on my ' 67. Body/chassis fit is excellent, btw. Gotta stop here for today, but it should be wrapped up in the next day or two. And yes, the hood closes all the way, even with that twin four engine in place. ;)

mockups003m_zpsb5ddb298.jpg

mockups001m_zps633a59a5.jpg