Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stupid things we do.

If that was one of my projects, I would have accidentaly flung it off of the bench at least once during the mock-up stage

Which reminds me... when I was doing the 24 hour build, it was 5 am and I was getting sloppy and seeing double from being up all night. I was holding the Miss Deal Funny Car body and fumbled it. As it started to head for the floor I grabbed at it and managed to trap it between my arms and chest, breaking both A pillars against my chest! I decided that was enough for the night. I did manage to fix them the next day.

A couple weeks ago I had shot a coat of clear on a car body. I went back later to lay down a second coat and I stupidly picked up the wrong can. Much to my surprise I was shooting silver paint on a blue car body.

I did exactly the same thing on my recent Porsche build- I reached for what I thought was a can of clear and wound up shooting a nice blast of pearl white right down the top of the car. Since it was pearl white it took me a second to figure out what was going on... I thought the clear coat had fogged! Fortunately I was able to polish out most of the white and respray a thin coat of metallic green to cover my f-up, but there were a few moments there where the body of my 911 almost made forcible contact with the nearest wall.

I can think of one, I bought a new bottle of Tamiya cement, first night using it, and only had that one day, my daughter got a hold of the bottle, well, I had not put the cap on all the way, and see spilled the entire brand new bottle on the carpet ( I have carpet piece's over the house carpet).

I get another bottle of Tamiya cement, and first time I am using that new bottle, I am trying to clean up my work area, and what do I do, I knock that bottle over as well, this time, I didnt spill that much

So, I have learned two things, one, make sure I put the cap back on tight , and two, maybe I am just not meant to use Tamiya cement

Ray, I did those things also. Have you ever started to spray and realize the nozzle was backwards and painted your hand? :blink:

or your glasses? (age 13, painting Wilson livestock trailer silver...)

Also never mindlessly snack on the peanuts at the same time you're handling small parts (model or 1:1) :unsure:

...can be hard on the teeth...

mike

I once absent-mindedly put a burning cigarette into what I thought was the ashtray. When I looked back I saw to my horror that I'd actually put it in the similar-sized tin lid where I was keeping the painted and detailed small parts of a Fujimi kit I was working on.

(I don't smoke anymore.)

I once tried to use Tamiya Fine Polish as a body filler, couldn't understand why it took so long to harden. I could use the excuse that both tubes are similar and covered in Japanese writing, except one has the words 'FINE POLISHING COMPOUND' in big letters on it :wacko:

How about knocking over a full bottle of Ambroid, all over your pristine painted/detailed model bits?

Ambroid and Tenax bottles are designed to tip over easily.. that wasn't your fault! At least that's what I tell myself whenever I do it. :lol: Now I just slip an old kit tire over the base to give bottles like that a bit more stability.

Ray, I did those things also. Have you ever started to spray and realize the nozzle was backwards and painted your hand? :blink:

Done this one and also painted my shirt. l also was putting the loctite lid on and squirted it in my mouth and teeth. it took days for it to wear off my front teeth..

I've done your first goof and what is worse, a couple of times (I'm a slow learner). The first time I was able to sand the offending white paint off because the model already had a couple of clear coats on it but the second time I had to strip and start the whole project again.

Laquer thinner tastes exactly like Slivovits.

I assembled a track run for a Sherman tank that was comprised of 4 pieces per track link x 78 links. They were articulated after building them carefully. I put one run on the tank backwards.......................................... :o

G

I've done most of these. The wrong spray paint can, painting your palm, gluing yourself to yourself, or the model... :unsure:

One of the worst things I regret, is when I was 14 or so, and didn't know there was a future in fixing glue/paintbombs :unsure:

I Godzilla stomped a bunch of models I would like to have/restore today; Revell's Capt Hook Wrecker, Toyota 4x4 with the camper shell, fox body Mustang that came with the jet skis, Monogram's 1/20 Corvette with the body kit and a couple of others.

Stupid things I've done... you got a couple of days? Didja ever close the hood of your car while your Rx sunglasses were on the radiator bulkhead? Howzabout cutting toward yourself with an Xacto knife? Or get distracted by someone while cutting with a bandsaw? Pick up a leading edge section of an F-14 Tomcat horizontal stabilizer and drop one corner? Get nailed by low voltage, high frequency current?

Stupid things I've done, model-related: Crazy glue on the fingertips. Testors Liquid Cement, same place. Completely ignore kit instructions ("hey, I have many years of experience..."). Fill in the wrong holes. Not seal Metalizer on wheels. Flock, then foil.

I could go on and on and on...

The one I haven't lived down yet - Pick up part with tweezers, apply ca glue to part. Drop part. Part disappears. Get entire family searching room for very important part. Its gone.

Next morning I find the part glued to my shoe laces.

Now every time my wife sees me fishing for a part on the floor I get, "Check your shoes!"

The one I haven't lived down yet - Pick up part with tweezers, apply ca glue to part. Drop part. Part disappears. Get entire family searching room for very important part. Its gone.

Next morning I find the part glued to my shoe laces.

Now every time my wife sees me fishing for a part on the floor I get, "Check your shoes!"

I was building a 1950 Ford F-1 pickup and was using photo etched "F-1" emblems from Model Car Garage. I got both sides done and then noticed I lost the "1" from the passenger side. I searched high and low for it on the bench, under the bench, took everything off the bench, swept up all the debris and sorted through it... no avail. It was good and gone. Not wanting to buy another sheet from Model Car Garage, I decided to drill a small hole where the missing digit was and dab a little bit of rust in the dull mark the glue left. There, done! And fitting right into the way I build old trucks.

The next week I'm at work sitting in a meeting and I notice a little shine coming from my shirt sleeve. There was my "1" glued so securely to the bottom of the shirt sleeve that it even went through the wash!

Edited by Tom Geiger