Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT `68 Roadrunner

By the way Tim, you mentioned the infamous recall wheels on the '69 Mopars. It's a shame those wheels failed, because they were IMO very good looking. I don't know about Round 2s latest release of the MPC '69 Cuda. But, past releases came with those representing the "stock" wheels. And again, even though they are not 100% correct I will use them if and when I get around to building the '69 Cuda I have in my stash.

I completely agree with you on those recall wheels, Scott.   When Revell's '69 Dart GTS kit came out, I built it with those MPC '69 ;cuda kit recall wheels.  Some of you may remember that car from the cover of the other model car magazine, c. 1996 or thereabouts.....TIM  

I completely agree with you on those recall wheels, Scott.   When Revell's '69 Dart GTS kit came out, I built it with those MPC '69 ;cuda kit recall wheels.  Some of you may remember that car from the cover of the other model car magazine, c. 1996 or thereabouts.....TIM  

One of the recent musclecar mags had a feature story on a car running those wheels today. I forget what kind of car it was, but IIRC the story said the guy keeps a close eye on them but hasn't had any trouble with them so far.

So if anyone wants to use those wheels on a build, hey, go for it! (I'm planning to use them on a phantom Plymouth factory show/concept car circa 1966-67.)

One of the recent musclecar mags had a feature story on a car running those wheels today. I forget what kind of car it was, but IIRC the story said the guy keeps a close eye on them but hasn't had any trouble with them so far.

So if anyone wants to use those wheels on a build, hey, go for it! (I'm planning to use them on a phantom Plymouth factory show/concept car circa 1966-67.)

Those wheels are actually available brand new now. From my understand they look exactly like the '69 Recall wheels, but with none of the problems.

Having learned to drive in my Dads 68 Sport Satellite i disagree! No model is perfect, but having been around the real deal for many years, it ain't bad! Now if you were talking the Revell 67 , you'd have a point! 

I take your word for it.

But I owned a '68 Satellite back in the 80s and in my memory, it looked much more like the Jo Han one.

I take your word for it.

But I owned a '68 Satellite back in the 80s and in my memory, it looked much more like the Jo Han one.

The JoHan is probably better, I didn't even mention it. My point is that the AMT kit isn't nearly as bad as some say ( in my opinion ).

As opposed to people who only see them at shows and on the web.

The JoHan is probably better, I didn't even mention it. My point is that the AMT kit isn't nearly as bad as some say ( in my opinion ).

As opposed to people who only see them at shows and on the web.

The Johan kit's body IMO is hands down THE best B body Mopar one can get if they want a dead on nuts accurate car. AMT's kit is MUCH better detail wise as far as the chassis and engine goes. I just can't get past the car's "droopy rear", incorrect rear wheelwells, and faint side eyebrows. 

As far as the kit itself, it does build up nice, as I've never heard any major complaints about how it goes together. I have a couple kits each of both the Johan's and the AMT's. I'd rather mess with the AMT bodied one as that one's an eyesore the most in my view at the moment.

Now you mentioned Revell's '67 Dodge Coronet............whooo boy! I cringe each time I see one of those as the whole back half of the car is woefully flat out wrong! I have a fix for that one too, but it would involve about as much work as I'm putting into my '68 Shelby build, and it's not high on my priority list at the moment. Someday it will be, and it'll involve some MAJOR surgery-------more so than what I did to fix AMT's '68 Road Runner. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

The Johan kit's body IMO is hands down THE best B body Mopar one can get if they want a dead on nuts accurate car. AMT's kit is MUCH better detail wise as far as the chassis and engine goes. I just can't get past the car's "droopy rear", incorrect rear wheelwells, and faint side eyebrows. 

As far as the kit itself, it does build up nice, as I've never heard any major complaints about how it goes together. I have a couple kits each of both the Johan's and the AMT's. I'd rather mess with the AMT bodied one as that one's an eyesore the most in my view at the moment.

Now you mentioned Revell's '67 Dodge Coronet............whooo boy! I cringe each time I see one of those as the whole back half of the car is woefully flat out wrong! I have a fix for that one too, but it would involve about as much work as I'm putting into my '68 Shelby build, and it's not high on my priority list at the moment. Someday it will be, and it'll involve some MAJOR surgery-------more so than what I did to fix AMT's '68 Road Runner. ;)

no question.....the Johan 69 RR body is as good as it gets. the car just built to moderate detail and sitting on the table looks great...since 69, I have probably built a dozen of them over the years, and it is still an all time fave of mine. the AMT 68 drag RR I just built is a nice kit, in  some ways, but the body, tail lights, and general appearance compared to the Johan 69 does not come close. be a long time before I build my second AMT 68, so grabbing a couple Johan 69s is at the top of the hit list.....the Ace....:D

no question.....the Johan 69 RR body is as good as it gets. the car just built to moderate detail and sitting on the table looks great...since 69, I have probably built a dozen of them over the years, and it is still an all time fave of mine. the AMT 68 drag RR I just built is a nice kit, in  some ways, but the body, tail lights, and general appearance compared to the Johan 69 does not come close. be a long time before I build my second AMT 68, so grabbing a couple Johan 69s is at the top of the hit list.....the Ace....:D

Agree completely. I've always thought that my old JoHan '69 RR was among the most accurate looking car models I've ever built.

One weak area on the AMT '68 RR I never see anyone comment on is the headlights. The JoHan used wonderfully thin, separate clear lenses that make the molded-in AMT efforts look especially toylike, and I think their trim rings might be a touch oversized as well, which doesn't help anything. Of course they can be drilled out and replaced, but that's a lot of extra work.

I hope to build at least two more JoHan '69s--one in green, out of the box and exactly like the one I built in 1969, except of course with my current-day building and painting skills, and a 440+6 conversion in Code 999 Orange with later AMT chassis and engine. How I'd love to get my hands on a JoHan '69 GTX but I don't see that ever happening--I"ll have to make do with the AMT on that one.

Agree completely. I've always thought that my old JoHan '69 RR was among the most accurate looking car models I've ever built.

One weak area on the AMT '68 RR I never see anyone comment on is the headlights. The JoHan used wonderfully thin, separate clear lenses that make the molded-in AMT efforts look especially toylike, and I think their trim rings might be a touch oversized as well, which doesn't help anything. Of course they can be drilled out and replaced, but that's a lot of extra work.

I hope to build at least two more JoHan '69s--one in green, out of the box and exactly like the one I built in 1969, except of course with my current-day building and painting skills, and a 440+6 conversion in Code 999 Orange with later AMT chassis and engine. How I'd love to get my hands on a JoHan '69 GTX but I don't see that ever happening--I"ll have to make do with the AMT on that one.

the 68 RR I posted in the drag section is an example of all you stated, Richard.......one can correct the many areas that stink, but that's if you want to put in tons of work as you say, which I for the most part did not. Johan bodies can't be beat generally, and it baffles me that after all these years of kit production, and all of todays technology that so many are so far off to what many 60s- 70s era kits seem to be. as for a Johan 69 GTX, I have a sealed one I bought last spring, but probably will never build it....they are stupid money these days, and if I told you what I paid, you'd think I lost my mind,,,,I think bidding that day I must have for a moment...lol...lol....:lol::D....the Ace

My comments above also extend to Johan's '70 Superbird kit. While the Revellogram '70 is not bad, it never looked right to me either and once again, it has to do with the kit's roofline. The C pillar doesn't appear "broad" enough--------the real car had a plug to make the rear window more flush, it just looks like Monogram very slightly modified their '70 Road Runner roof and called it day. One beef I do have with the Johan Superbird, and it's a small one------the nose on the kit isn't quite right. There are recesses surrounding the flip up headlights (I suppose to make decal placement easier), but that whole area should be flush with no indentations.

Some say the front fenders aren't quite right, but the jury's still out on that one IMO.

If you can grab those '68-'70 Johan B-Bodies at a reasonable price (built-up or kit) DO SO! They'll probably never be the likes of 'em again, unless Moebius gives a new tool '68-'9 Coronet perhaps, but that's wishful thinking on my part. 

as for a Johan 69 GTX, I have a sealed one I bought last spring, but probably will never build it....they are stupid money these days, and if I told you what I paid, you'd think I lost my mind,,,,I think bidding that day I must have for a moment...lol...lol....:lol::D....the Ace

Open it up, man!  

Seriously, I don't think I could buy ANY vintage kit and leave it sealed on the shelf; I admire your restraint. 

Open it up, man!  

Seriously, I don't think I could buy ANY vintage kit and leave it sealed on the shelf; I admire your restraint. 

Mike, I have really wanted to, however I just can't seem to go that far,,,,,I pick up the box, caress it for a moment, run my fingers down the edges of the cello, gawk at the artwork on all sides,,,smile in a almost trance like-state, then chicken out every time....lol...lol....:P....the Ace...:lol:

I get the opinions on the 68 RR kit. And I know its not perfect but its the only game in town for a 68. Do i wish it was better? sure but I'm not going to lose sleep over it either.

IMO, it builds into a pretty decent example once in the case. But for me personally I'm a model builder not a model kit redesigner.

And I might be way off base here,,,,,,,but sometimes I wonder if the suggest retail price  these kits sold for when 1st produced was a factor with how much work they put into development time (  I have a bunch of them with a price tag of $4.99 ) I'm sure development time is a factor to think about from the very beginning when a kit is being designed considering a selling price once on the shelf . 

In regards to the Revell 67 Coronet / GTX kit. I saw a thread a while back showing how easy it was to fix with a very minimal slice in the rear quarter. Which I will do once I get to one in the stash

As far as the Johan Super Bird kit mentioned. you are correct the nose should be smooth across the top side, but once decals are placed on it you really cant tell.

Edited by gtx6970

Okay, back to my obsession about knowing the facts on things. The following information comes from "Plymouth proudly announces the birth of a new Beep-Beep" folder.

"ROAD RUNNER HARDTOP-

A BRAND NEW RUNNING

MATE FOR YOUR SUPER-

SUCCESSFUL COUPE!

The following extras will be on the Road Runner Hardtop as standard equipment:

An all-vinyl interior (same as on Satellite 2-door Hardtop

Bright door trim panel retaining moldings

Bright armrest bases

Rear armrests with ash receivers

Color-keyed carpeting with automatic transmission (black only with 4-speed)

Partial horn ring

Rear deck appliqué

Four Road Runner bird decals: one on the instrument panel, one on each door, full-speed-ahead version on the deck lid.

This is the first time this equipment has been standard on Road Runner. Let's really get on the bandwagon with the new Hardtop and make it as successful as the Coupe.

Plymouth

CHRYSLER

MOTORS COPORATION"

Edited by unclescott58

Mike, I have really wanted to, however I just can't seem to go that far,,,,,I pick up the box, caress it for a moment, run my fingers down the edges of the cello, gawk at the artwork on all sides,,,smile in a almost trance like-state, then chicken out every time....lol...lol....:P....the Ace...:lol:

I get that. I have at least two kits--original AMT '66 Barracuda and '66 Mustang HT/Convertible--that I will NEVER build. It gives me great joy just to fondle and gaze upon the original, mint, never-painted parts.

(But a sealed box? That might be taking things a bit far. I'd HAVE to know at least that the right kit was in there, all parts present, and the body not damaged.)

My comments above also extend to Johan's '70 Superbird kit. While the Revellogram '70 is not bad, it never looked right to me either and once again, it has to do with the kit's roofline. The C pillar doesn't appear "broad" enough--------the real car had a plug to make the rear window more flush, it just looks like Monogram very slightly modified their '70 Road Runner roof and called it day. One beef I do have with the Johan Superbird, and it's a small one------the nose on the kit isn't quite right. There are recesses surrounding the flip up headlights (I suppose to make decal placement easier), but that whole area should be flush with no indentations.

Some say the front fenders aren't quite right, but the jury's still out on that one IMO.

If you can grab those '68-'70 Johan B-Bodies at a reasonable price (built-up or kit) DO SO! They'll probably never be the likes of 'em again, unless Moebius gives a new tool '68-'9 Coronet perhaps, but that's wishful thinking on my part. 

My problem with the Superbird was the interior patterns.  They didn't match anything I could find on the 'net.   I have one that I am trying to modify to look more like the pics I found.   We'll see if my skills ever complete that one.  Or if I break down and go back with the kit-supplied parts.  Sorry to go further off subject..

• 3 years later...