Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

That's one thread. Just because people keep it alive is no reason to lock it.

We have several "I wish they would make a kit of this" threads... all the same identical topic. It's silly to keep them all open.

There's a difference between one topic that lives on and several topics on the same exact subject.

Wish list threads, Hobby Lobby threads, and the price of kit threads have been done to death.

Page after page of obscure subjects that will never be kitted? Check. Repeated mentioning of the 40% coupon at HL? Check. Continued grumblings on the price of kits, inflation and the good ole days? Check.

As far as what else irked me today. Reading the car kit reviews and hearing the griping about every little flaw or missing detail or why didn't they do such and such version? At least the car guys have kits to work with. The truck guys are starving. You car guys should consider yourselves lucky instead of constantly complaining.

but ... but .... we've got 150 pages of "that bad man drives too slow in my lane...." and that's news.

reminds me of the day I was having breakfast in the local coffee shop. the group behind me had gotten their check. six seniors, and they're frickin' arguing about who owed 15 cents more because somebody had the Sanka. I wanted to rip the check out of their hands and pay it myself just to shut them up.

only reason I didn't was because I thought news would spread and their friends would surround me everytime I went there to eat!

Yea, I know what you mean! Old people, they........ Whoa, wait a minute, Medicare sent me a card for my birthday this year! I guess I are one! ;)

Yea, I know what you mean! Old people, they........ Whoa, wait a minute, Medicare sent me a card for my birthday this year! I guess I are one! ;)

You are as old as you allow yourself to be! I told everyone the story about my cousin with the Tesla? Well it seems he talked his 74 year old father in to getting one too! :lol:

You are as old as you allow yourself to be! I told everyone the story about my cousin with the Tesla? Well it seems he talked his 74 year old father in to getting one too! :lol:

My children wish I would stop acting like a kid. Personally, I have gotten to a place in my life that people who think I am childish aren't important to me. When I run into them I drop to the floor and have a fit!

Since you mention this, Harry, it brings to mind one of my favorite amusements: Watching the wackos go at each other at cross-purposes.

There are now, according to news reports I've seen the last few days, two different and brand new eco/enviro-wacko groups germinating. One group is vehemently anti-turbine wind generator. And the other is just as over-zealously anti-solar panel farm. How can anybody be against those alternative energy sources?

Well, the anti-turbine gang is all a-flutter because the evil wind generators seek out and chop up the occasional innocent bird who flies too close to the rotating guillotines. The wackos want them ALL banned before they slice and dice the entire winged population of the planet!!!

And, not to be outdone, the anti-solar panel gang is incensed because the solar panel farms have been incinerating hapless birdies who fly over the reflective surfaces of the solar panel arrays (much like the eco-wackos probably did to ants with magnifying glasses when they were kids). The wackos want them ALL banned before they torch whatever airborne creatures are left after avoiding the turbines!!!

So those two groups are squaring off against those who support alternative energy sources. Like we've said before, there are wacko extremists on every side of every issue.

Long live moderation!

Lock both groups of loons in with the loons on the other end of the spectrum (the "coal rollers") and watch who murders each other first. We might do everyone a favor by eliminating a bunch of brain-damaged lunatics before they completely screw up everything and ruin it for the rest of us who can behave sensibly.

Charlie Larkin

If you work for Toyota, I'n sure you know that Mr. Musk (Tesla) is putting in a network of fast-charging stations all over the country, and if you buy a big Tesla, you get free re-charging at his facilities.

As far as infrastructure and convenience of refueling go...I was a paying member of the Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition ($1000+ per year) back in the mid-1990s. The group was actively lobbying for a widespread switch to compressed-natural-gas as a vehicle fuel. At the time, natural gas was much cheaper than gasoline for the same energy content (as it is now), the retrofit to a vehicle was relatively straightforward and cost-effective, and there was a cool little compressor on the market, the FuelMaker, that would refuel your car overnight from your in-house natural gas line.

Infrastructure widely in place, un-beatable convenience, and a decent chance of payback of the investment from reduced fuel costs.

Did the world go for it? Nah. Instead, because natural gas is cheap and burns clean, most of our production (and we have so much, the price is too low to make getting it out of the ground "worthwhile") goes to "peak" electricity generating plants, or to replace older, dirty coal-burning plants. Cheaper to take the short term expedient...instead of cleaning up the coal plants (and we have 100 years of coal right here in the good ol' USA) and using the cheap natural gas to power our cars, relatively easily, for 60 years or more (again, we're floating on the stuff), we're squandering it to make cheap carbon-credit-traded electricity...while we continue to get screwed every time we bend over at the gas pump.

In the meantime, the world seems to be hell-bent on making the car you drive to get groceries more complex than the effing space-shuttle.

Somebody explain why.

A simple, if somewhat flippant explanation can be made in two words: crony capitalism.

A game both sides play, picking winners and losers, and in the end, we all lose.

Charlie Larkin

No decent jobs materialized this summer, so I'm interviewing for a part-time at a grocery store running the register. It'll at least give me a little income while I figure out what I do next.

The good news it it's Market Basket- back in full force!.Could actually lead to a decent career, too we'll see.

I was also quite upset about Carstens' closing- great magazines. Did anyone pick up Railroad Model Craftsman, Railfan or Flying Models, yet?

Charlie Larkin

The good news it it's Market Basket- back in full force!.Could actually lead to a decent career, too we'll see.

I don't think there out of the woods quite yet. They have a big nut to crack now and it's not going to be easy.