Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I changed my life to make a living doing something I used to REALLY enjoy...building hot-rods...and it's turned into what every job has been...I turn out world-class work, put up with lots of aggravation, spend a fair amount of time cleaning up other people's stupidity, get very little management support, receive more and more responsibility (because I can handle it) with no pay increase, yada yada yada.

I'm finishing up a large project, have established a strong local reputation again, and in a couple months, we'll see.

Pictures! If you're building cool cars, we wanna see!

Guess you won't be going to that B&B again Tom.

No, we'd go back. With the photographic proof it was there when we left, the owner understood it wasn't us!

This kind of stuff happens to us! Many years ago we rented a house in the Poconos and a week later the owner was chasing us that we stole the paddles to their boat. We never used or saw the boat, had no interest to do so. I understand that it was on a rack down by the lake. A renter prior to us may have lost them or left them in the boat and someone took them. The house owner wouldn't hear it, and had the realtor keep our deposit. It wasn't worth chasing them in court in another state two hours away. Stupid guy... we had rented the same house several years in a row (and never used their boat!). For $200 he threw that away, we never went back.

Edited by Tom Geiger

...What a simple and obvious solution....

i don't think anyone is questioning your knowledge or integrity. but by your own admission you're "fed up" (my paraphrase from #4348, 4369 & 4372). i tried for 45 years to reform the residential construction business, and i had to be where i wanted regardless of anyone else on the road.

well, i didn't, and it ate up a part of me trying. i'm grateful to be off the hamster wheel now, and anytime i lament not having 'things', i realize i have the most precious gift of all - time. one that $$$ cannot buy.

and there's many more of "them" than there are of me. or you. it's so easy now to look back and see the warning signs i didn't have time to heed. i'm sure you will make the correct decision for your circumstances.

I write this from a hospital waiting room as a surgeon is working on sewing up a valve on my wife's heart. This was planned surgery and with the miracles they do today, this all should be fine.

But it kinda takes the whine outta the mini irks!

usually a long recovery if you're lucky takes care of irks, large and small. an insight and outlook usually changes to put everything in perspective and show you what has been taken for granted. a little reading of comments kinda has a way of sorting, just like being a veteran is usually obvious.

i don't think anyone is questioning your knowledge or integrity. but by your own admission you're "fed up" (my paraphrase from #4348, 4369 & 4372). i tried for 45 years to reform the residential construction business, and i had to be where i wanted regardless of anyone else on the road.

well, i didn't, and it ate up a part of me trying. i'm grateful to be off the hamster wheel now, and anytime i lament not having 'things', i realize i have the most precious gift of all - time. one that $$$ cannot buy.

and there's many more of "them" than there are of me. or you. it's so easy now to look back and see the warning signs i didn't have time to heed. i'm sure you will make the correct decision for your circumstances.

Joe, you're absolutely right about time being the most precious commodity, and that's the thing that gripes me most...the lack of time to live my own life because I'm so busy trying to manage things for other people who apparently can't or just won't.

The 'can do' guy is the one who always gets to clean up everyone's messes, and gets taken advantage of in time, if enough limits aren't set.

And all you have to do to be a leader, anywhere and anywhen, is to just stand up and lead. People want to be told what to do, but I'm tired of always being the one who KNOWS what to do, gets it done, and rarely gets the rewards.

It's definitely time for a change in my life, and a major change is coming soon.

Thanks for your response.

I write this from a hospital waiting room as a surgeon is working on sewing up a valve on my wife's heart. This was planned surgery and with the miracles they do today, this all should be fine.

But it kinda takes the whine outta the mini irks!

My sincere wishes that everything goes well, Tom. Really.

Thanks everyone. She's doing okay. She always has issues with anesthesia so she'll be an extra day in ICU but operation was a success. I'm fortunate that my boss is working in Europe the next month, so I will be working from home to look after her.

My chest still hurts from this cold. Been since Sunday PM I've had chest pain, weak arms, congested head, and nosebleeds. My throat is sore from all the mouth-breathing, and I feel like putting my fist through the wall because I can't sleep for more than ten minutes most times before my nose bleeds again and won't stop for what seems like ever. Ugh. :angry:

Thank you everyone for the thoughts on my wife's surgery! I look back at my post here and I remember the sheer terror and helplessness I felt at that moment. She is home now, sore but resting comfortably on the couch. She is wearing on me as she asks me to run for something every other minute. But we wouldn't want it any other way!

And on to better times. The impending surgery has been hanging over us for the past six years. Now hopefully all this is in the past!

Thank you everyone for the thoughts on my wife's surgery! I look back at my post here and I remember the sheer terror and helplessness I felt at that moment. She is home now, sore but resting comfortably on the couch. She is wearing on me as she asks me to run for something every other minute. But we wouldn't want it any other way!

And on to better times. The impending surgery has been hanging over us for the past six years. Now hopefully all this is in the past!

Good to hear everything is good .. but .. "She is wearing on me as she asks me to run for something every other minute." ... this is why I dread my wife having anything done . :D

Was heading back to the office from lunch today riding w/ a coworker in his sweet lifted, off road outfitted '80s Toyota FJ60...made a left turn on green arrow when some clueless moron ran the red light in a pickup and swerved...missed broadsiding us by a few feet..

Edited by Rob Hall