Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

All the fireworks heard but unseen (note,I enjoy fireworks as much as anyone,but...)....some of the sounds brings remembrance of what seems a lifetime ago (and just a twinge of PTSD flare-up) :(

Sometimes, when it's off in the distance, it really sparks those memories. The smells also get to me. Up close, where I can see the display, no issues.

G

I'm a volunteer crew member aboard the LST 325 (Landing ship,tank), moored in Evansville , Indiana. When they fire the twin 40mm pom poms during shows and Re-enactments, some of the original vets that served aboard LST's in WW2 and Korea get aliitle spooky.Some of them tear up and go silent. I couldn't imagine the memories and the things they saw and did. Those guns would be a powerful memory trigger for sure.

Edited by bismarck

My neighborhood is like a war zone on the 4th

Here's the aftermath from ONE neighbor:

attachicon.gifJuly5th-2.JPG

attachicon.gifJuly5th-3.JPG

I used to like the 4th of July, now I'm like an unpaid babysitter making sure a bunch of drunk rednecks don't burn my house down with their illegal fireworks

Is that stuff legal in Oregon? Otherwise they're really stupid leaving evidence at the curb. Make a phone call!

Back when my Geo Tracker was new my idiot neighbor across the street set off a mess of fireworks in the middle of the street. Tracker was parked at the curb. One of his duds didn't go up, instead spun around in a circle on the street surface, spewing sparks, many of which hit my car. I had many burn marks on the convertible top and on the decals on the drives side. That cost the jerk about $400.

I'm a volunteer crew member aboard the LST 325 (Landing ship,tank), moored in Evansville , Indiana. When they fire the twin 40mm pom poms during shows and Re-enactments, some of the original vets that served aboard LST's in WW2 and Korea get aliitle spooky.Some of them tear up and go silent. I couldn't imagine the memories and the things they saw and did. Those guns would be a powerful memory trigger for sure.

The sound that always raises my own hackles is a Huey coming in at treetop level. I live under an approach to a regional airport, and a couple of civilianized Hueys nest there.

The sound of fireworks in the neighborhood doesn't bother me, but somebody let off a string of what sounded just like heavy caliber machine gun fire in the distance last night, and that was a little spooky.

I never served in combat myself. I did my hitch in Germany, so i can't and won't comment on the horrors of war. I am not qualified to. But for those of you guys and gal's out there who have, you have my utmost respect. Especially on this day. Thank you!!! B)

We just had a fairly substantial earthquake here ~10 minutes ago- the whole dang house shook for 10-15 seconds. I'm still a little shaky myself, wow.

Spooky stuff, no doubt about it. We get the occasional tremor here (New Madrid Fault), but never very destructive, at least not in my lifetime anyway.

A little more info on the quake, it registered 4.2 and was centered ~6 miles from us

I lived in the LA area when the big 7.2 quake hit in the '60s- I was in bed and the water was sloshing out of my aquarium and the plastic globes on the pole lamp (remember those?) were bashing against each other, it was really scary

BTW,my thoughts on PC...it's for pansies who--like toddlers--don't have the ability to deal with/handle/control their emotions,so they demand that everyone else sugar coats everything for them.

Sounds like most of the anti-PC crybabies that have suddenly appeared

Ironically the definition of political correctness is not to offend a particular group however you are always going to offend somebody in the process. It is truly impossible to please everyone.

I like this definition of PC:

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end.

It sure does....but not understanding what's going on all around you or why must be very frightening. Especially if you need to have complex issues dumbed down into media slogans that are designed to trivialize important issues.

LMAO,good point I guess.

The real problem is,it's too easy for "crybabies" on any side of anything to hide behind the anymosity/relative safety of the internet and talk smack to anyone who doesn't agree with 'em,when everyone knows they'd never be so bold in person. I'm not one of those,anything I'd say to someone here,I'd say to their face as well. Don't take that to mean I would be looking for ways to go out and offend anyone just for the purpose of doing so,I wouldn't. That said,you shouldn't flatter yourself to thinking that I was directing that at you,if I'd been talking to/about you (like now),I would have mentioned your name or quoted you,note that I didn't,was merely stating my opinion (which I don't need your permission to have or express,BTW). So apologies if that the description fit enough to hurt your feelings,sweetpea,it wasn't intentional or aimed at you.

If you feel the need to lash out like a toddler and call me names again,I guess so that you can sleep well knowing you're a big bad internet tough guy or something,LOL,feel free to do so (and to continue to prove my point in the process ;) ). Otherwise,since this is Modal Cars magazine's forum,perhaps we could get back to building models like adults?

post-4980-0-51541000-1436040270_thumb.jp

Edited by Olskoolrodder

I like this definition of PC:

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end.

Even though that "definition" is nonsense?

I never served in combat myself. I did my hitch in Germany, so i can't and won't comment on the horrors of war. I am not qualified to. But for those of you guys and gal's out there who have, you have my utmost respect. Especially on this day. Thank you!!! B)

You're very welcome (I have seen combat),and thank you for your own service as well...it doesn't matter that you didn't see combat,my friend,you very well could have seen it like those of us who did,your unit could have just as easily been called,and you still stepped up and chose to serve (so never think little of your service because you didn't) :)

Edited by Olskoolrodder

Is that stuff legal in Oregon?

No, they're all totally illegal.

Otherwise they're really stupid leaving evidence at the curb.

They are really stupid, but after they saw me taking pics they loaded it all in the back of their jacked-up, unmuffled, rattle-canned '80's pickup and got rid of the evidence while banjos played in the background

okay, I made up the part about the banjos . <_<

No, they're all totally illegal.

They are really stupid, but after they saw me taking pics they loaded it all in the back of their jacked-up, unmuffled, rattle-canned '80's pickup and got rid of the evidence while banjos played in the background

okay, I made up the part about the banjos . <_<

...but did they have a pig in the back wearing lipstick and a short skirt?

col-9991.1L.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Parts of my unit in Germany did get activated and did ship to the sandbox. I was just finishing up my 4 yr pull, and was out processing. I had DX'ed all my gear, turned in all my NBC gear, and had all my trash packed, got told at the airline check in counter to get my !@## back to the company area and report in. We had just bombed Baghdad...... So i spent another 6 months in Germany. Not a bad duty station by ANY stretch. I'm proud of my service, and I don't think any less of us who didn't see "the elephant"(DEATH up close and personal), I just have a very profound respect for those that have,

Be glad you guys weren't helping Dad and I changing the flat tire on his van tonight, we were in a gas station lot and had multiple mortors going off a couple blocks away while we were trying to get it up the tires swapped around, then back on the ground so we could head home to the gun power fog tht surrounds home........