Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Ill tell you what irrked me today. And almost every other day I come to this site. People who post their WIP images, or nice, close up shots of scratch built detail, then later on, sometimes not so later on, move the pictures from their hosting site. I have at least 20 builds I had bookmarked for reference, I went to take a look through one of them just now and all the pictures are gone. I decided to check my other bookmarks..all of the images are gone from those as well. Is it so hard to leave those pics where they are? Everything I've ever uploaded to photobucket is still in the same spot as the day i uploaded them. Whats the point of posting the damned things if you're just going to move them. Leave them alone...it's not that difficult.

Unless you start paying Photobucket $399/yr no one else will be able to see your photos either. There are a few threads on this site about what they have done. You can still see them, but no one else can.

My personal opinion is that Photobucket has done something illegal with the whole photo thing. Maybe someone here has a better knowledge of the legality of it all and I would be interested in hearing their views. My thought is that since you have an agreement on the personal photo thing and then Photobucket wants to change how they do business. I can understand going from that point forward charging a user an annual fee, but I don't think it is legal or ethical to make it retroactive to the photos from before they changed how they do business. Anyone else share my opinion ?   

I think what they did was probably legal.  Immoral and bad business? Yes.   Cutting their own throat? Yes.

They are privately owned so they don't owe anyone outside of their company an explanation, but I bet it will come out sooner or later.

I have a feeling they mismanaged their business to the point where they could no longer sustain it.  Maybe they couldn't pay their monthly carrying costs for the amount of web traffic. I cannot believe anyone would make the decision they did without their back being against the wall.  Time will tell.

This morning I got up and got ready to hit up the IPMS show in Murfreesboro, TN. My son and I excited, cuz this was the first model show for both of us. Packaged up a few things to drop at the post office on the way out of town... then the phone goes off... "Hey dad, I'm broke down. Spot won't start. So I head out, finally finding him. By the time I get his car back to the house, the post office is closed... we make it to the show, pretty much as it ended, and I'm out cash on a battery/alternator... We're gonna try it again next year... maybe with better luck.

Hopefully we can come up with another show to visit, too...

I don't know which is worst the talking owl or the people who talk to them. Most TV ads are amusing the first couple of times, then you realize its time to see what is on another channel just so you don't have to see the same ad over and over.

I don't know which is worst the talking owl or the people who talk to them. Most TV ads are amusing the first couple of times, then you realize its time to see what is on another channel just so you don't have to see the same ad over and over.

I usually "mute" all TV commercials. Wish I could do that at the gas station too!

One thing that really annoys me is some streaming programs (not live)  won't let you fast forward through the ads... though most of what I watch doesn't have ads, some does.   About the only thing I watch live are NFL games and motorsports..  the TV shows I like are all streaming only, cable, or UK with a couple exceptions. 

I have to be pretty desperate to watch TV "live".   I record all my shows and watch them at my leisure...and blow through the commercials.  It literally takes 10-15 minutes off a show!

I don't have that much leisure time to watch TV. There's certain shows I like to watch and I do so when they're on the air. I only record shows when I'm not going to be home for a certain program that I like.

I've been away from the hobby for quite some time, i had no idea they tried to pull that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Thats insane. Even so, the missing pictures thing was happening way before that. But now that I understand PB are run by worshipers of the Money God. To hell with them.

Did people turn to an alternative? Is there even an alternative?

Yes there is - you can upload photos to your threads here.  Admins generously lifted the upload limits so all your photos for the posts in this forum can also be hosted here.  This means that the photos will be visible for as long as this forum is online. No more broken photo links!

Yes there is - you can upload photos to your threads here.  Admins generously lifted the upload limits so all your photos for the posts in this forum can also be hosted here.  This means that the photos will be visible for as long as this forum is online. No more broken photo links!

It deserves mentioning how great a feature this is. Direct posting has added immensely to my use and enjoyment of this forum.

Thank you to our administrators!

Speaking of TV programing, I sometimes have to watch reruns of some of the programs on Velocity and Kin Dig It especially they seem to play this "back ground music" that is actually at the same volume as the people talking in the show. I don't remember it being their if I watch at the normal programing time only when it is a rerun.  I don't know if Velocity is thinking this will enhance my viewing experience or if someone in their audio staff is trying to justify their existence.  

Speaking of TV programing, I sometimes have to watch reruns of some of the programs on Velocity and Kin Dig It especially they seem to play this "back ground music" that is actually at the same volume as the people talking in the show. I don't remember it being their if I watch at the normal programing time only when it is a rerun.  I don't know if Velocity is thinking this will enhance my viewing experience or if someone in their audio staff is trying to justify their existence.  

Our local FM news station does that. Stupid !

Yeah!  I noticed in many recent programs that background music has become foreground music, and you can barely hear what is being discussed.  It is very silly and I don't know who and why they decided to start doing it. Must be them new Millennial sound engineers.  :D They are so used to multitasking that their brains must somehow find a way to separate the music from the speech. Or maybe simply nobody is simply watching the program to verify that everything is ok.

... Or maybe simply nobody is simply watching the program to verify that everything is ok.

Which is "quality control" in a nutshell.

And to have effective quality control, you have to 1) understand what quality IS, and 2) give a damm.

Both things appear to be lacking when one looks critically at the functionality of many websites, the shoddiness and disregard for specs and dimensions of many manufactured goods from "offshore", what you get most times you hire a "professional" to provide a service, etc.

When the schools teach that 3rd rate mediocrity is the equal of excellence, is there any wonder?

Why try to do your job well when you get the same participation trophy (a salary) for just showing up?

Must be them new Millennial sound engineers.  :D They are so used to multitasking that their brains must somehow find a way to separate the music from the speech. 

There is no such thing as multitasking...you're just switching back and forth between tasks repeatedly...

There is no such thing as multitasking...you're just switching back and forth between tasks repeatedly...

I used to work with people who were always patting themselves on the back and bragging to our boss and anyone else who happened to be in ear shot about how special they were at multitasking when in fact they didn't do either job very well. I know because I was always cleaning up the mess they were making. The reality is that while you can sometimes do two or more things at one time none of them get done 100 % and I don't care who you think you are. The best thing to do is focus on the main problem and devote all your energy to make that right and then move on to the next. In the end everything gets done and done correctly and most often sooner than bouncing around crowing about how efficient you think you are.   

I used to work with people who were always patting themselves on the back and bragging to our boss and anyone else who happened to be in ear shot about how special they were at multitasking when in fact they didn't do either job very well. I know because I was always cleaning up the mess they were making. The reality is that while you can sometimes do two or more things at one time none of them get done 100 % and I don't care who you think you are. The best thing to do is focus on the main problem and devote all your energy to make that right and then move on to the next. In the end everything gets done and done correctly and most often sooner than bouncing around crowing about how efficient you think you are.   

DING DING DING DING !!!       We have a winner, folks.