Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 2017-12-31 at 7:40 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes, it should ALWAYS be SOP to drain a tank prior to removing it...as well as keeping any sources of possible ignition FAR away.

The manufacturers, in their non-hands-on, not-car-guys infinite wisdom, however, have nickel-and-dimed the drain plugs off of many fuel tanks, so you're kinda screwed when you go to drain some of them.

Gasoline weighs about 6 1/2 pounds per gallon, so 10 gallons left in the tank is about 65 pounds. Handling that kind of weight overhead, sloshing around, with open lines, is a recipe for disaster.

And a single drop of cold gasoline falling on a hot work-light bulb will crack the glass and start a fire instantly. I've seen fools with electric space-hearers in their bays too.

Every toolbox needs it's OWN regularly maintained LARGE fire extinguisher, as well as extinguishers mounted on lift posts, and on the wall in FRONT of every work bay.

Gasoline is tricky.
It dont even have to hit anything hot to ignite, if the air is just right, the tank is a bit 1-1.5 meters up or more and the drainpan is on the floor.
Then it can selfignite just because of the friction that the fuelstream encounters when it is falling through the air down to the drainpan.
Maybee something like that happend and everything caught fire?

57 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Back in them pre-climate change ( :D ) 1970s, We used to have keg parties in the dead of winter at Greenpoint Playground, aka "Dupont Park", which was conveniently located right on the Brooklyn bulkhead of the East River. Of course, we would heist 2x4's from the neighboring lumberyard and start fires in a garbage can. We didn't want the beer to freeze. ;)

I've seen home movies of a Brooklyn winter ('68?). Mountains of snow...pretty tough stuff by the look of it.  Must be my Italian half that hates the cold, cause there's no way I'd want to party in it.:)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Excretory orifice marketing dwerps whose robodialers call from spoofed numbers, making it effectively impossible to block them.

I wish there was a button on the phone that would melt the equipment on the other end of these calls.

THAT'S an app I'd pay HUNDREDS for. ;)

Ever hear of the "DO NOT CALL" list? :huh:

I have my number on it and never have to worry about annoying sales calls. 

I've been on the Do Not Call List for as long as I've had my cell number (17 years), but I still get robocalls and other spam calls.  But I usually keep the ringer off and let it go to voicemail, and probably 3/4 of the time they don't leave a message, so I then block the number. 

55 minutes ago, highway said:

YEAH...I'VE BEEN ON IT SINCE THE BEGINNING. YOU THINK I'M A MORON?

A LOT of these scamspammers JUST DON'T CARE about the DNC list.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

17 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I've been on the Do Not Call List for as long as I've had my cell number (17 years), but I still get robocalls and other spam calls.  But I usually keep the ringer off and let it go to voicemail, and probably 3/4 of the time they don't leave a message, so I then block the number. 

I CAN'T BLOCK A NUMBER IF IT COMES IN AS "UNIDENTIFIED" ON MY LAND LINE (WHICH I MAINTAIN TO FAX) OR IF IT"S A SPOOFED NUMBER. THEY JUST ORIGINATE THE NEXT CALL FROM A DIFFERENT SPOOFED NUMBER.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

13 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I don't use a landline.. 

Yeah. They're obsolete. Like faxes. But there are some people on the planet who still use faxes, and I sometimes need to communicate with them via the ancient tech they still use.

And I maintain caller ID on the same line, and voicemail.

I know the concept of accommodating clients is obsolete too.

AND...if the incoming call has the number blocked, or comes in as unidentified, and if your cell carrier or phone isn't set up to reject all unidentified calls, you can "block" them till the cows come home, to no avail. There's no number to block. And if it's a spoofed number, if you "block" it, they'll just call back using another spoofed originating number.

PS. I don't get ANY BS calls on my cell.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, highway said:

You're kidding right?

I have been on that list (and verified that I am still on it) since it was introduced. That does nothing - the unwanted calls still come through (sometimes 3 per day). I used to have my phone number unpublished and unlisted but I stopped paying for that few years back when I Googled my phone number and it showed all my personal info. Nothing is private anymore.

The sales people (and I use that term loosely) that Spam us with calls don't worry about a do not call lists - they just call all the possible combinations of numbers and they also use spoofed caller ID, so even it you report that number, nobody is going to catch the real Spammer. Sometimes the Caller ID of a Spam call shows my own phone number - do I report myself?  Plus, most of them are in India or another foreign country.

5 hours ago, peteski said:

The sales people (and I use that term loosely) that Spam us with calls don't worry about a do not call lists - they just call all the possible combinations of numbers and they also use spoofed caller ID, so even it you report that number, nobody is going to catch the real Spammer. Sometimes the Caller ID of a Spam call shows my own phone number - do I report myself?  Plus, most of them are in India or another foreign country.

Yup, many a day on my cell phone.  They are spoofing either cities around the country, or lately towns right around my cell phone exchange so I'll pick it up thinking it's a local call.  These are robo calls. They spew their message, sometimes the same one more than once a day.  A while back I bought an Internet domain and my phone rang day and night with companies wanting to provide me with web services. There was one company in particular that hit me several times a day saying they were "Google and Bing" and my website would be delisted from the Internet unless I complied.  I finally had enough and "hit one to speak to an operator"  and told them to take me off their list.  That lasted a week.  I cannot understand how any company thinks I would actually do business with them after being harassed!

My land line and cell both ring several times a day. I may glance at the Caller ID on the phone and answer only if it's someone I want to talk to. otherwise I let it go. If it's really important they can leave a message and I'll call back , but most Crank Calls only ring three times and don't leave a message.

If I was in the mood, I would have a lot of fun with the idiots claiming to be with Microsoft.  They would start reading from their script about how they needed codes from my computer so they could do the updates.  I would inform the person that I do not have a computer.  This would completely escape the person and he or she would keep reading from the script.  I would politely inform the person a second time that I do not own a computer.  Finally, the person would realize what I just said and the ask "you don't own a computer?"  I would respond by saying "for the third time now, I do not own a computer".  They would very quickly get off of the line at that point or just hang up.  I don't get calls from these guys anymore.

Unfortunately, whatever their scam is, they get enough people to fall for it; otherwise, they wouldn't be bothering.  The other unfortunate problem is that no matter what law or regulation is passed there will always be a way to get around the intent.  Our legislature had a bill before it the other day to ban robocalls and some legitimate businesses (the utilities specifically) complained that they use the technology as a way to remind customers that they are behind in their bills.  So this bill will go nowhere.

If we don't recognize the number either on the landline or the cellphone, we let it go to voicemail.  No one ever leaves a message, but it is an inconvenience to have to get up and pick up the phone to see who is calling.

45 minutes ago, peter31a said:

Land lines are obsolete? I must have missed the memo. Would give up the cell phone long before I would ever give up the land line. My cell phone gets turned on about 3 times  month when I head out of town to a club meeting.

I made the sarcastic crack about land-lines being obsolete because I'm tired of the attitude that anything other than the newest, hippest, hottest technology is useless, and anyone sticking with anything old-school is a hopelessly past-it mouth-breathing troglodyte.

I just TODAY...20 minutes ago... completed a lengthy deal involving multiple parties 2000 miles apart, and business was facilitated by my having access to email on my desktop, hard-copy capability from my own printer, fax capability over the land-line, and the cell phone that made it possible to engage in voice and text communications while documents were being faxed in both directions. I saved all the 100+ pages of documentation both on a hard drive, removable media, and (OMG !!!) HARD COPIES IN THE DAMMED FILING CABINET. My butt is covered even if a drive crashes, or somebody drives by with a portable EMP device.

TOOLS don't become obsolete as long as they help us accomplish our goals.

Information storage formats don't become obsolete either...just unfashionable...but I've never given a damm about doing what everyone else does.

I have music on acetate, vinyl, cassette tape, reel-to-reel, 8-track, CD, and multiple digital formats. My playback equipment for every format works, and I'm perfectly happy...and competent...using tech that's 80+ years old, or brandy-damm-new.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

22 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

On a related note, it's rare that I ever have to ride my dinosaur over to the fax machine here. It seems the only people still using faxes are registries agents and insurance people. They seem to want everything faxed. And they never understand the dinosaur crack.

Yeah, 10+ years of my IT career has been in the banking and insurance industries..they often do move sloooowly with embracing newer technologies...though my current client (small life insurance company) is working hard to deploy electronic applications for all customer-facing and internal business, they still do a fair bit of their business with faxes, paper documents (sent and received through the mail like people did in the 20th century).  

I'm trying to remember the last time I personally had to send/receive a fax...even my current mortgage, home owners insurance and car insurance was all done electronically (except for closing where a notary showed up at my hotel w/ paper copies).   With the mortgage, where I had paper for various documents needed prior to closing I scanned them and uploaded them to their site.  

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

...paper documents (sent and received through the mail like people did in the 20th century)...

The final documents on the deal I just closed are coming "through the mail" printed on very hard-to-forge watermarked stock.

Ever had an issue with electronically transmitted documents being corrupted, altered or forged? It's more common than you probably think.

22 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The final documents on the deal I just closed are coming "through the mail" printed on very hard-to-forge watermarked stock.

Ever had an issue with electronically transmitted documents being corrupted, altered or forged? It's more common than you probably think.

True, especially when working with paper documents being scanned into electronic form.  Less of an issue when documents are electronic native and use e-signatures (PDFs, etc), electronic watermarking, etc.   Document management within companies and systems can be a big headache if security and duplication aren't taken seriously.   And bugs. One of the projects I was involved with a couple of years ago had flaws in the document generation process wherein 30% of the annual statements printed out to be mailed to customers had missing or damaged pages (where sections of the document were blank).   They had people doing manual checks of the statements to look for missing pages/etc before sending out, very time consuming.  I worked on that project to determine and fix the problem in the document generation system.   Turned out the problem involved multiple 3rd party systems and an internal application and database. Ugly....

Edited by Rob Hall

Absolutely nothing irked me today, especially after receiving a thumbs up from the doctor this morning.  New truck is coming along sweetly.  Pin stripes on, dual exhausts installed, Tonka goes on the tailgate Saturday morning, and next week should see the leather interior installed.

So about two weeks ago I ordered some blue paint I needed for my Ford C 600 flatbed that will be a Cobra hauler. After waiting two weeks it arrived today. I was happy. I opened it up and I was sent Gray Primer. Bummer. Not the end of the world but sometimes I feel people can't do anything right. I guess my project will just be stalled for a time.