Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

??? Didn't say anything about Las Vegas..

Ah, in reference to Agent G's post..Arizona, Nevada...same difference..

Same difference, but different.

Speaking of idiots, I can't believe what has happened to Colorado! Sheesh! The new pols can't seem to Californicate themselves fast enough.

Same difference, but different.

Speaking of idiots, I can't believe what has happened to Colorado! Sheesh! The new pols can't seem to Californicate themselves fast enough.

Colorado seems to be doing fine since I left in '08. My mayor became governor, the economy in the Denver area is still strong, lots of tech companies expanding...I keep getting recruiters contacting me all the time about gigs in the Denver/Boulder area..if I could move back now, I would, but I'm stuck here for the time being..

Edited by Rob Hall

Colorado seems to be doing fine since I left in '08. My mayor became governor, the economy in the Denver area is still strong, lots of tech companies expanding...I keep getting recruiters contacting me all the time about gigs in the Denver/Boulder area..if I could move back now, I would, but I'm stuck here for the time being..

Meh. Doing fine. Right. The Peoples' Republic of Boulder is contaminating the whole state . . . but at least all the kids and grandkids can toke up wherever and whenever they want. Las Vegas is beginning to look tame by comparison . . .

Meh. Doing fine. Right. The Peoples' Republic of Boulder is contaminating the whole state . . . but at least all the kids and grandkids can toke up wherever and whenever they want. Las Vegas is beginning to look tame by comparison . . .

Whatever..just your opinion..I'd rather see the Boulder-izing of the state than the scary Colorado Springs crowd dominating... :)

Edited by Rob Hall

....I don't need artificial engine sounds..

I heard that people are trying to pass laws requiring electric and hybrid cars to make more noise at lower speeds, so that pedestrians can hear them. I guess nobody thought of sticking a baseball card in the wheel spokes...

I heard that people are trying to pass laws requiring electric and hybrid cars to make more noise at lower speeds, so that pedestrians can hear them. I guess nobody thought of sticking a baseball card in the wheel spokes...

Actually we tied a small balloon to the frame and let it ride against the spokes. ^_^

Really early... :wacko:

Is June 29 some sort of ethnic holiday (like Cinco de Mayo or something) that I don't know about?

Edit: OK, I looked it up. June 29 is National Camera Day. :rolleyes:

Guess that explains all the fireworks... :lol:

Really?

I didn't know that. Cool.

I'll pass that along to Dad.

Charlie Larkin

Ever have a day where all your to-do list laughed at you, and then life kicked more sand in your face?

1. All the parts I went after at one of the local yards wouldn't fit my car.

2. The ones that would wouldn't disassemble.

3. I saw so many older, clean low-mileage cars in that yard for no apparent reason, and it made me think just how stupid and wasteful we've become. Cars that could've been sold to people who can't afford newer used cars or given to organizations like Good New Garage, which repair used cars and donate them to the poor or sell them for cost of repair.

4. I stopped at Wendy's down the road to hit the head, grab a cold drink, and continue over to the hardware store to get an offset screwdriver, and then one of the bolts on my starter let go, breaking off and leaving me stranded. Making life even more fun, my mother's car is getting a loose wire fixed, and my dad's car is basically junk.

Yeah, today laughed at me. Like a Jay Leno stand-up performance.

Charlie Larkin

Electrics and hybrids are funny, saw an old Escape Hybrid as I was walking into work from a distance and didn't hear it at all, but I have heard a few mechanical noises from a Volt and have heard the motor whine from a Tahoe Hybrid, both from closer distances. You kinda have to change what you listen for.

My momma taught me to look both ways before crossing the street and to let the cars have the right of way. She also taught me to pay attention to my surroundings in general.

I guess nobody thought of THAT recently.

My momma taught me to look both ways before crossing the street and to let the cars have the right of way. She also taught me to pay attention to my surroundings in general.

I guess nobody thought of THAT recently.

Geez, you and your common sense...

:lol:;)

I heard that people are trying to pass laws requiring electric and hybrid cars to make more noise at lower speeds

I think a Prius should have to emit circus music. Like an ice cream truck.

4. I stopped at Wendy's down the road to hit the head,

Don't hit your head. It hurts and it doesn't solve anything. :lol:

I keep getting recruiters contacting me all the time about gigs in the Denver/Boulder area..if I could move back now, I would, but I'm stuck here for the time being..

Rob, what do companies in Colorado do now about drug testing? Do they still test for pot? Or can't they do that anymore since it's legal there?

I recently filled out an on line application for a large company... they had a statement "We promote a drug free drug place (USA Only)" That one took me by surprise!

Federal law: Possession of marijuana is punishable by up to one year in jail and a minimum fine of $1,000 for a first conviction. For a second conviction, the penalties increase to a 15-day mandatory minimum sentence with a maximum of two years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Subsequent convictions carry a 90-day mandatory minimum sentence and a maximum of up to three years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Distribution of a small amount of marijuana, for no remuneration, is treated as possession. Manufacture or distribution of less than 50 plants or 50 kilograms of marijuana is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. For 50-99 plants or 50-99 kilograms the penalty increases not more than 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $1 million if an individual, $5 million if other than an individual for the first offense. Manufacture or distribution of 100-999 plants or 100-999 kilograms carries a penalty of 5 - 40 years in prison and a fine of $2-$5 Million. For 1000 plants or 1000 kilograms or more, the penalty increases to 10 years - life in prison and a fine of $4-$10 Million.

Distribution of greater than 5 grams of marijuana to a minor under the age of 21 doubles the possible penalties. Distribution within 1,000 feet of a school, playground, public housing or within 100 feet of a youth center, public pool or video arcade also doubles the possible penalties.

The sale of paraphernalia is punishable by up to three years in prison.

So how can a state legalize marijuana? Federal law overrides state law. So... ???? :blink:

Rob, what do companies in Colorado do now about drug testing? Do they still test for pot? Or can't they do that anymore since it's legal there?

I recently filled out an on line application for a large company... they had a statement "We promote a drug free drug place (USA Only)" That one took me by surprise!

No idea..I assume they haven't changed the testing.

Edited by Rob Hall

I think a Prius should have to emit circus music. Like an ice cream truck.

Would be interesting..or how about cackling sound like a Top Fuel dragster. Or a Ferrari V10 F1 engine sound :) I've been walking through parking garages or lots before and have seen pure electrics (Teslas, Leafs) drive by, they are very very quiet on smooth pavement.

Edited by Rob Hall