Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Custom Mercury: Teaser pic

James2

Leave it alone, back in the day a skirt like yours would have been removable. The entire skirt would come off.

Thanks guys, my thought was because it is molded in at the rear there is no line showing a removable skirt. No reason to scribe one in except for realism, after all it is a plastic model!

Edited by James2

I think I see where your coming from here. I always strive to make sure things make sense, or are at least plausible. The dilemma, ironically, stems from the quality of the work you have already done: the body lines flow so well, and a seam here might be somewhat disruptive.

My vote would be to do it. If left off, the question of plausibility will always be there. Whereas looking at a 1:1 car there are panel lines all over the place that our minds simply ignore. You've got a good enough eye that I think you could pull it off.

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't seen you post any info regarding plans for tail lights on this so I thought I'd throw out an idea.

The flow of bodywork from the skirts to the rear bumper looks like '53 Caddy tail lights would be a nice fit and still keep the nice lines you have already incorporated.

Just notch in a bit and add red lens. :)

I have seen customs In 1:1 that appear to have this problem. Cadzilla comes to mind. It though has the chrome trim to hide it. Here is my thought, lightly scribe around the whole perimeter of the skirt. Givebit a slightly darker wash and BAM! looks like whole unit can be removed without taking away from those sweet lines...

I decided to leave the skirts alone because of the risk of ruining the panels. I thought about the Caddy lights but have the same concerns as with the skirts. At this point I would hate to damage the body. I may be going more traditional with the tail lights.

Here is the engine...

003-1.jpg

Edited by James2

Found these side pipes in the parts box but the shape would not work. I trimmed the ends and bent up some that work much better.

2014.jpg2016.jpg

And some mock up shots, still have lots to do...

2017.jpg2019.jpg2020.jpg

2021.jpg

Getting into a real cold snap here, won't be painting much for awhile, but have plenty of projects to work on!

Edited by James2

• 5 months later...

Been a little while but since the Buick is done, the Merk is next on the list, just pulled the tape. After a few days to dry I'll be able to assemble.

TS-12 and Light Ivory

2042.jpg2043.jpg

Edited by James2