Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your build percentage?

A common situation in our hobby is we have more kits than we could ever build. Of course, that's part of the fun, huh? I wonder what other builder's "build percentage" is.

This is mine.

First, how many model kits do you own? about 1000

How many builds did you complete last year? 8

Calculate build percentage: 8 x 100 (%) divide by 1000 = .8 %

Please include your # of kits and your # of builds in your answers.

I'm at .8% ...yeeesh! I gotta crack that 1% at least! lol

I know I'm different than a lot of you guys in that I don't have a huge stash of unbuilt kits. I tend to buy a kit with the intention of building it, not with the intention of storing it, so my stash of unbuilt kits is very small... maybe 20-25 or so, tops. I'd guess that I build the vast majority of kits I buy... probably around 85-90%.

This is a bad deal for hoarders ... and I feel like I hoard but have only a small amount of kits compared to many.

So,

First, how many model kits do you own? about 147

How many builds did you complete last year? 2 ! (this is 0 for the previous 4 years .. )

Calculate build percentage: = 1.36%

easy to beat a hoarder even if I don't complete anything.

Not even going there! :)

I have maybe 30 builds of my own. I am not counting how many kits I have in the hoard. I don't wanna know. I have more in progress / stalled kits than many people have kits. I also have a ton of parts kits, those I've stolen parts from. It becomes a complex thing. And I don't need complex in the hobby. Calculating it all out is an attempt to make sense of it. I'd rather not.

well, just recently back into plastic, but, i'm at about 70 kits in the hoard, and have managed to complete one truck and one trailer [rigs], and have 7 more in the mail. my build to buy ratio is horrible, but i'm having fun, and am well stocked :D

I know I'm different than a lot of you guys in that I don't have a huge stash of unbuilt kits. I tend to buy a kit with the intention of building it, not with the intention of storing it, so my stash of unbuilt kits is very small... maybe 20-25 or so, tops. I'd guess that I build the vast majority of kits I buy... probably around 85-90%.

This is my answer pretty much

well, just recently back into plastic, but, i'm at about 70 kits in the hoard, and have managed to complete one truck and one trailer [rigs], and have 7 more in the mail. my build to buy ratio is horrible, but i'm having fun, and am well stocked :D

Aha, a new phrase for the stash - "Well Stocked" ;-)

About a year ago, I embarked upon a mission to round-up and catalog every kit in my stash. As an old boss of mine used to say, "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it". It's been helpful to know what I've got, where it's at, etc. Needless to say, I'm "well stocked".

Like many others, I'm afraid my build ratio is pretty bad....

I'm with the guys that build almost everything. I tend to buy on emotion or opportunity. I picked up a 1/20 Lamborghini at a show just because I hadn't see the kit in years. There a few kits on my list I would buy if I saw them. Otherwise if it's on a close out shelf or scratch and dent and I'm vaguely interested I'll grab it. Otherwise… when I finish one up I go browse the LHS and see what grabs my eye.

Stock - 20ish

Build percentage 70ish

Manage the stash????? Are you kidding me!!! That is like managing a drug addiction. For every one I get done, three more show up! Some from raffles, others from friends(read enablers) others from somebody going out of business or what ever. I got what I got and I will build them when I get darned good and ready! Yea, I'm well stocked but could always use a couple of more.

First, how many model kits do you own? about 1000

Seriously?

Do you have a model shop or something? :rolleyes: Where do you leave 1000 boxes?

I got about 10 new in box, that's more than enough ;)

I build 2 models a year, although I should say in 5-6 months. The summer season is for other hobbies.

Edited by Dinky

The last build I completed was for my club's New Year's Challenge 2012. I hope to make myself finish another one for New Year's Challenge 2014!

I currently have 437 kits in the stash. I think it would be more telling to see how many kits have been added since the last build completed... :blink: