Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Impala SS

modelcarcrazy

Hello, This is the AMT 1964 Impala SS. I named it "Jarhead" in memory of my Uncle, Coy Doty Harris (1947-1999). Coy was a husband, father, brother, football coach, and a former Marine. Coy loved hotrods and muscle cars and fueled my love for them as a young boy. He drove a '64 Impala for several years and loved every mile of it. This is my version of his dream ride, I know if he were still with us he would want one just like this. I chose the AMT kit because it needed some help and I tried to help it all I could. I went light on the body mods, I removed the emblems and script from the body sides, trunk lid, and grill shell. The paint is three coats of Dupli-Color GM LIght Blue Met. with six coats of Dupli-Color clear polished out with a Millennium 2000 polishing kit. The bumpers and grill were stripped and painted with Alclad chrome and the bumper inserts were covered with matte aluminum BMF. The wheels, tires, and brakes come from the Revell Concept Camaro snap kit. The tag frames come from the Revell 1967 Chevelle. I made the hood insulation out of black construction paper.

100_1937_zps252d4724.jpg

100_1941_zpsab3b715f.jpg100_1975_zpse9969874.jpg

100_1979_zpsae9849cb.jpg

The engine come from the Revell 1994 Impala SS snap kit. I made my own pre-wired distributor and wire loomes. I made the throttle linkage and return spring along with the radiator support and filled the hole in the firewall for the metal clip that represented a hood hinge. I also made the radiator and heater hoses. The radiator and electric fans came from a Revell 1998 Corvette. The upper control arms and steering box and steering rod came from the Revell 1967 Chevelle. The air cleaner, battery, and control module come from my parts box. I made the plumbing and wiring for the master cylinder and wiper motor out of some scrap bits of wire. Battery cables came from Scale Dreams.

100_1974_zps9519047c.jpg

100_1969_zps94738c57.jpg

In the interior, I made the window cranks and door handles out of thin aluminum and plastic rod, I also made the gas and brake pedals out of thin aluminum. The modified console, shifter, steering wheel, steering column, and bucket seats come from the AMT Concept Camaro. The arm rest and rear view mirror came from the Revell 1967 Chevelle. The speaker grills came from the AMT 1967 Impala. The flocking is from Ken's Custom fuzzy fur.

100_1931_zpsf0603ca6.jpg

100_1934_zps10cc9095.jpg

The underside, I cut away the molded in front suspension and boxed in the frame with sheet plastic and added a modified front suspension from a Revell 1967 Chevelle. In the rear area, I filled the indentions on the corners of the trunk floor pan, where the screw holes used to be, with sheet plastic and worked them down smooth. I made the shock and track bar brackets and added modified shocks and track bar from the parts box and I made the exhaust tips out of aluminum tubing. I used matte aluminum BMF on the molded in exhaust pipes.

100_1984_zpsa5189a4e.jpg

This turned out to be a pretty fun model to build, and I was pleased with the way it turned out. Check it out and tell me what you think of "Jarhead".

Edited by modelcarcrazy

I have had the pleasure of seeing this model in person!!! Let me say pictures DOES NOT do this model Justice!!!! Very sharp lines, Clean Detail, and Awsome paint colors along with a very well put together model. Tony is one of the best Street Rod Builders around East Tennessee, and a very good friend, also had the pleasure attending model shows with him also. Awsome Job Tony!! !!! Jeff Marsh.