Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

When I bought the house in PA, I had already picked out the tractor I was going to buy. We closed on the house and I didn't move in right away so I called up the previous owners lawn guy to see if he could do it a few weeks... when he said $30 to mow my acre, it was a done deal!

Just got home from work and the lawn service had been here, looks great and I'm free to get the Harley out.

When I bought the house in PA, I had already picked out the tractor I was going to buy. We closed on the house and I didn't move in right away so I called up the previous owners lawn guy to see if he could do it a few weeks... when he said $30 to mow my acre, it was a done deal!

Good deal..I pay my yard guys $60 every two weeks for my relatively small front and back yard and to maintain the bushes and trees...they do a good job, definitely worth it as I have no interest in any outdoor labor in the disgusting Phoenix summer season that is starting..

Good deal..I pay my yard guys $60 every two weeks for my relatively small front and back yard and to maintain the bushes and trees...they do a good job, definitely worth it as I have no interest in any outdoor labor in the disgusting Phoenix summer season that is starting..

$120 a month here is SoCal for a do my yard once a week. Everything done. More than worth it to not have do anything.

I do my own landscaping, thank you very much.

A couple of years ago the Lovely and Gracious Mrs. B decided I was so busy with my business that she'd do me a favor by hiring a landscaper to "clean up" our backyard (yes, I was a little behind in my maintenance).

Long story short, she hired a crew, for a reasonable price, that was doing a lot of work in the neighborhood. They trimmed everything and planted a couple of new palms. They were to return every two weeks for on-going maintenance.

I thought the had hacked my healthy landscaping too much.

Two weeks later, no landscapers. I think they ran afoul of the good folks from ICE. And, all my 'trimmed' bushes and palms were terminal. Even the palms they planted failed.

I immediately returned to do-it-yourself and the yard has recovered its former beauty.

Sure, there are other landscapers circulating . . . some even speak English . . . but I just can't bring myself to trust any of them. <_<

I hear you Danno! I refused to hire landscapers for years. Finally relented, but went around to my neighbors and found out who had been around for a while and hired them. Been very satisfied. About once a month I get a business card in the door from people looking for work, but I think that is a bad way to hire someone.

We get those cards almost daily. The ones I hate are the ones who put their cards in a plastic bag with a small amount of landscaping gravel and drive down the street throwing them at driveways. First one hits the car, well . . .

I found good ones... found them through the guy that did the stone work on my back patio, also found tree trimmers for cleaning the tops of the palm trees that way also. This crew has been very reliable the last 2 years, they also do 3 other yards on my street...and they have a clean, good condition '05-ish Dodge Ram truck, not a worn out truck like the unreliable ones have...

We get those cards almost daily. The ones I hate are the ones who put their cards in a plastic bag with a small amount of landscaping gravel and drive down the street throwing them at driveways. First one hits the car, well . . .

Ha! They do that in PA too. There was one company that had a good gimmick. He drove by and tossed imprinted Frisbees on every driveway. I didn't hire him but I kept the Frisbee so his name is around. Ted the dog loves his Frisbee.

Edited by Tom Geiger

When my wife and I sold our house on Long Island, NY and moved to western PA back at the end of 2006, we said we had both had enough of mowing grass and raking leaves. We're now both in our mid to late 60's. When we bought our home we hired a local Landscaping Co. to cut the grass. To us it is totally worth every penny of the $100 per month we pay them from mid April through November to cut the grass every 2 weeks and mulch up the fallen leaves on our acre piece of land. We don't own a lawn mower or a weed whacker anymore. We also had the hedges along one side of our property removed because it was an annoying chore to keep trimming them every couple of weeks. It works for us.

When my wife and I sold our house on Long Island, NY and moved to western PA back at the end of 2006,

Wow Rich, I hadn't realized you were in PA that long. Time does fly! And yes it does, hard to believe I've been here four years myself!

And as as far as the island... last Friday afternoon.. it took me 4 HOURS to get from Staten Island to Smithtown!

I've heard that the Long Island expressway is a real mess during rush hours.

You're being very polite about it.

One of my friends, through the wonders of the Internet, met a girl that lives on Long Island, and where he doesn't drive, I drive him down every so often. Having been caught in that giant cluster at exactly the wrong time, "parking lot" would mean it would actually move every so often.

Now that she might be moving here (fingers crossed,) I won't miss that drive. I'll gladly continue to do it for the LIARS show, and probably to go visit some stuff down there (like TR's house,) but...yeah, all set with that traffic.

Charlie Larkin

A little update...

The "S word" is definitely in the rearview mirror now. We have been having just spectacular weather here lately. For the past two weeks or so, daytime temps in the 70s-80s, nighttime lows in the 50s... plenty of sun, rain mostly at night... couldn't get any better. My lawn looks like a freakin' golf course! :D

Maybe God is rewarding us here in the midwest for making it through the incredibly harsh winter he stuck us with. ^_^

A little update...

The "S word" is definitely in the rearview mirror now. We have been having just spectacular weather here lately. For the past two weeks or so, daytime temps in the 70s-80s, nighttime lows in the 50s... plenty of sun, rain mostly at night... couldn't get any better. My lawn looks like a freakin' golf course! :D

Maybe God is rewarding us here in the midwest for making it through the incredibly harsh winter he stuck us with. ^_^

Nice..wish I was there.. here in opposite world our 'winter' is kicking in... 4 more months of triple digit horror..

Edited by Rob Hall

Nice..wish I was there.. here in opposite world our 'winter' is kicking in... 4 more months of triple digit horror..

But ya gotta remember, Rob... around here we get this perfect weather about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's either 20 below zero, or a foot of snow, or 90 degrees and 90% humidity, or tornados, or... well, you get the idea. In the midwest, nice, calm weather is a rarity. If it's not one thing, it's another. So now while we're in this pattern of actual good weather, I have to be thankful!

But ya gotta remember, Rob... around here we get this perfect weather about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it's either 20 below zero, or a foot of snow, or 90 degrees and 90% humidity, or tornados, or... well, you get the idea. In the midwest, nice, calm weather is a rarity. If it's not one thing, it's another. So now while we're in this pattern of actual good weather, I have to be thankful!

I know, I'm from the Midwest......sometimes I think I'd rather have that climate than what I'm stuck with now....I can handle cold better than extreme heat..I think I belong more in a maritime climate, though.

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 year later...