Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "S" word...

Harry P.

We saw no rain or snow at my daughter's house by 7 pm. It was 38 degrees.  All the other guests to the party had left so we figured we'd make a mad dash west to our home in Pennsylvania.  We got to the PA border and it started to rain a bit, and as we got closer to home it was sleeting with some snow sticking to the grass on the sides of the Turnpike.  We noticed the temperature drop down to 32 as we approached our exit.  We did get home with no issues. Very little traffic due to a ban on commercial traffic from noon Saturday to noon Sunday and others staying home.  It soon turned to rain over night.  And it was dry and sunny today, no snow anywhere!

Well we didn't get any snow or ice here on LI,like they said we were suppoused to get,but it's only about 9 degrees with the wind today:o.Meanwhile it's supposed to be in the 50s later in the week.Thats winter in NY for ya.Just keep that "S" word away.

My office closed early today and may open late tomorrow due to the weather (freezing rain right now)...........kinda nice to have a job that closes before the weather gets bad so we can get home safely vs one that closes "early" since staying open would cost money due to lack of customers coming in.........if the store closes at all. 

We had one DM when I was at Toy's "R" Us that let other TRU's in the area close due to a pre-Christmas snowstorm around '99-'00, but decided the one I worked at could stay open since it was in a wealthy suburb and a lot of residents could afford to buy and operate SUVs.........not so sadly, he was fired in the year following that decision.....

On 1/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, Rob Hall said:

I think I need to get a snow blower sooner or later.  I shoveled a bit this morning....not a fan of shoveling. 12-18 inches of snow in the driveway, and about 9 degrees temp.   But it's supposed to get 'warmer' the next few days...

Yes you do need the snow blower Rob. Look around your town to see if anyone sells gas with no alcohol in it if you do. I get it at a Marina here but there is a station in Toledo that sells off road gas.It will save you headaches after the long storage in the summer. It does cost more but well worth it. 

There's additives to mix with the gas to beat the alcohol.  I forget the name right now.  I got myself into the habit of starting and running the engines on all my power equipment once a month. Took me a while to find out after starting the generator, you also have to plug something electrical in it to run the thing that makes the electricity.

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I wouldn't waste my time or money on alcohol free gas, we've left fuel in small engines without issue in recent years without issue, and being in the Chicago Suburburbs, E10 is the lowest alcohol blend that's around.

It kinda depends on the engine. Anything fuel injected might be OK. Also the old Briggs and Stratton engines don't seem to care. But anything with a float bowl carburetor can be a problem. The alcohol gas turns to varnish in the float bowl, usually requiring a carburetor rebuild to fix it. Fuel stabilizers help, but no alcohol gas is better. Or else run the engine until it is out of fuel, and then remove and empty the float bowl.

4 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Yes you do need the snow blower Rob. Look around your town to see if anyone sells gas with no alcohol in it if you do. I get it at a Marina here but there is a station in Toledo that sells off road gas.It will save you headaches after the long storage in the summer. It does cost more but well worth it. 

I got an electric one from Amazon...most of the snow melted w/ the rain and higher temps yesterday.   Supposed to snow again this weekend, will give it a try...

I use Sta-bil in all of my small engines gas for storage. The non blended gas is a good suggestion on any older small engines. There are parts in the carb. that start to break down with prolonged exposure to the blended fuels. Most of the newer engines have been produced with the carb. parts updated so that the blended fuels should not effect them.  

Nothing going on right now, about 40 degrees and still..but serious cold in coming Tuesday night through Thursday...supposed to be the coldest in NE Ohio since 1994..I remember that winter---I was in grad school at Kent State and my '86 Mustang LX had the doors frozen shut. I got them open, it would start, but couldn't get it in gear....ended up walking across campus to my office. 

We have gotten several snows, but they don't stick around very long as the temps go above freezing afterwards.  The problem is that with all of the freezing and melting, the roads are taking a beating.  They were really, really bad to begin with and now they are much worse.  The cars are taking a pounding.  A lot of us look like drunks weaving around the roads to try and miss the potholes. 

Also not looking forward to the "Polar Vortex".  Growing up we just had cold weather.  Now it seems that the weather people have to name everything to make it all seem new and relevant to push their narrative of extreme weather.