Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever buy a 1:1 project simply because you felt sorry for the thing?

Because I may be getting my third Slo-Par for that reason...

003_zps06bf829f.jpg

If you're curious, it's a nice, solid '52 Plymouth which runs and would drive, if it weren't for the fact that the left rear brake is set up... but that's a simple enough fix. I can get the car cheap (I have the advantage of knowing how much money the current owner has in it, and I know he's beyond sick of having to plow around it),put next to nothing into it to get it back on the road, and just run the thing until it does start falling apart... which should give me enough time to decide what to do with it if I want to make it into a 'serious' project.

Thing is, I've never really wanted one of these cars (not that I never liked them or anything), but the fact this one isn't completely rotten, is missing onlly frivilous stuff like trim and bumpers, and has an indestructable flathead six (with a relatively fresh rebuild, no less) make it seem like almost a good idea. That and the simple fact I don't see fifty of these at every car show I attend.

But the thing is, the car just looks so sad sitting out on that lot. Maybe it's that grille, though...

Anybody else ever let the same thing happen to them... see some forlorn old project someplace, and just snap it up for the sake of getting it out of its situation? And did that purchase end in a good or bad way for you?

I've come close a few times, but this is the first project I've seen, felt bad about seeing it sitting around unloved... and am seriously considering picking up.

Edited by Chuck Most

I just Googled 52 Plymouths and frankly if you paint the roof throw on some whitewalls and lower it a couple inches they look pretty good. Assuming the underneath areas are rust free and it's within your means I'd go for it .Let it grow on you .

It looks kind of sad with the bumper off and the slightly arched grill- almost like it's crying.

Personally, I'd put the trim and bumpers back on, get rid of that accursed, God-awful flat black paint and make a nice summer daily driver out of it. I don't care about fast or great brakes or handling- almost anything is safe as long as you're a safe driver. And after several years of my "new, better" cars not being better, just more expensive to fix when they break, the appeal of a flathead 6, 3-on-the-tree, and manual drum brakes is very strong.

Do a nice restoration on it, and turn it around for profit if possible, Chuck. Or do a nice restoration and hold on to it.

Charlie Larkin

The thing is alarmingly rust-free for a 62 year old car- one other thing I really like about it. And I doubt I'd change a thing about it other than replace the tires (possibly with wide whites) and maybe slap on some trim rings for the wheels.

And yeah, Mike- I know these old things don't start well in cold weather, but I wouldn't want to drive it in winter anyway. The duct for the heater blower is half gone- for some nutty reason the blower motor is up in front of the engine compartment, and that duct which runs back from it is full of holes. Not even sure why it was left in place- the hole it goes to in the firewall is blocked off anyway. So, I'd not use this thing as a winter beater. B)

I like how this thing looks as it sits, but even I might restore this one back to stock, just because you don't see many of them.

Be happy we don't live near you or a nice place to keep it Chuck, Dad would probably be all over that car if we were! His first car was a hand me down '50 Plymouth that he got from his mother. He and his uncle mildly customized the car and he put a good bit of work getting more power out of that Flathead I-6 too. He's said it would give some of the big Y-Block Fords a run for their money running a 1/4 mile on some if the country roads by him.........although it had to be limped or towed back to the farm for a little TLC and new rod and/or main bearing after some of those races. I think those were the races that he took down some of the Paxton equipped Fords with the car, much to the displeasure of those owners.

Any old car you have can become a money pit depending on how far you go with it. If you just want to get it back on the road and have fun without a full restoration looks like a fun project. I have seen a lot of your models and I'm thinking somewhere in that category.

My family growing up had a '50 Dodge forever it seemed. (really only 11 years) My favorite time with it was when my Dad wrecked it and came home with part of the front fender cut off so he could still drive it. I started viewing it as a hot rod then. After that it got a fix and new black paint all over. Wish I had it now.

I made the mistake of buying a non running '55 Imperial coupe(with factory A/C,no less).It also had rust issues.I thought the floor in it was solid.I was stomping on it and thinking how lucky I was that my foot wasn't going through the floor.Then I took a whisk broom to clean up some rust scale and that's when the holes appeared!Never did figure out that deal.

Yes Chuck, I forgot to answer your question in post #14 and YES is the answer.

Another short; My Mom once read me a story about a sad broken down car and a guy bought it and made it new again to become one happy car. The headlights were eyes and the grill changed expression from a sad face to happy at the end. It was planted in my brain at an early age

Some of the cars I have felt sorry for, a '37 Ford (looked so sad I've owned 2), every VW Beetle I see ( I have owned at least 5) and a few pickup trucks, they always look sad and broken when they get old (I have owned 7)..

Oh yeah.. I saw this 73 Datsun 620 on Ebay about 4-1/2 years ago. I used to have one back in the 70's.

It was pretty rust free (California truck),but needed a lot. I've pretty much rebuilt everything,but it still doesn't run. I'm planning to get rid of it this spring. at one time 2 years ago I had 3 of them. I'm over it now. Yes ,they can be a money pit..

BZ0uQB2kKGrHgoH-DkEjlLl0KttBKmZs2sV.jpg

It looks kind of sad with the bumper off and the slightly arched grill- almost like it's crying.

Personally, I'd put the trim and bumpers back on, get rid of that accursed, God-awful flat black paint and make a nice summer daily driver out of it. I don't care about fast or great brakes or handling- almost anything is safe as long as you're a safe driver. And after several years of my "new, better" cars not being better, just more expensive to fix when they break, the appeal of a flathead 6, 3-on-the-tree, and manual drum brakes is very strong.

Do a nice restoration on it, and turn it around for profit if possible, Chuck. Or do a nice restoration and hold on to it.

Charlie Larkin

Now that I look at that car Charlie, it could be in the process of giving it's opinion of the weather............using some not so friendly words.

In February 1992 , I bought a 1973 Duster for $70 .

It was TB3 Basin Street Blue with black bench seat interior ; 318 / 727 (factory upgrade !) , 8.25" diff with 2.76 gear ; power disc brakes ; fully-functioning climate control (yea ! A heater / defogger for the Winter !) ; deluxe wheel covers ... etc. ...

Why was it so cheap ? Its owner said that , "It won't pass smog 'cause the smog pump's missing..." . Well , I knew that a 1973 Duster with Calif Emissions and a 318 did not have an A.I.R. Pump (the Slant Sixes and 400 & 440 did , unfortunately ) , but I wasn't about to share that knowledge with the seller ( ha ha ha ) .

So , seventy dollars lighter , I got the keys and paperwork , and got to work firing the sleeping 318 up and getting home .

The thing ran beautifully !!

After buffing its paint out ( Calif sun is rough on paint ; that TB3 Blue was heavily oxidised !) , replacing its well-worn bench seat with a real clean junk yard bench seat (from a 1975 Dart 4 door) , and tossing-out the trashed carpet (replaced it with black rubber mats from a 1973 Valiant 4 door ; the mats were in perfect condition after I scrubbed 'em !) , my $70 Duster was lookking nice .

Got into a wreck on 12th Sept 1992 . Some "undocumented" folks ran a red light at 40 mph , hitting my Duster as I was making a legal left turn off of the 91 freeway .

I had to sell the car . It wasn't *technically* totalled-out , but I had no recourse .

If anyone comes across a 1973 Duster whose VIN is VL29G3B375353 (yes , I still recall its VIN some 22 years later !) or a blue / gold Calif plate number 726 HYH , please get a hold of me :) .

tomcar13-vi.jpg

I felt sorry for and saved this one! Pulled it out of a junkyard for $300 in 1981. It had no floors so the junkyard owner and I pried metal panels off the exterior of an old school bus and I used those to rivet in floors. I drove it all that summer. Kept it in the garage for many years, but this was a very rusty car so I figured I could always find a better one someday. My bro-in-law was on my back to give him the car, he kept insisting that nobody would pay me anything for it. So I sold it to someone else as a project for $2400. That set him on his tail!

Good for you Tom. Dad had one of those '64s he pulled out of an orchard. Restored it in corvette blue. Our canadian valiants all had the dart quarters on them; a lot nicer looking, to me anyways.

This last year was a bad year for me having derelects follow me home; added a '68 crewcab Merc and a '66 shortbox to the stable. Got enough parts around to complete them, just need motivation and a couple of them there 'round tuit' thingys....

mike

A 1976 AMC Hornet X 304 V8. In about 1984 I found it sitting on a used car lot in the very back row on the north side of Milwaukee. It was one of those lots where cars go to die. With it's green metallic paint and rallye wheels, I really felt bad for it having to humiliate itself next to the four door Chevelles. $300 later and I was the proud owner of my third ever AMC. Cleaned her up and got the engine running right with a new distributor cap, plugs and a Pertronix ignition module, the kind that lives inside the cap. Later on a set of newer AMC alloy wheels and new rubber, plus heavy anti-roll bars, I was tearing up the autocross courses. Big mistake when I sold it to a neighbor after buying my fourth ever AMC (1978 Concord Coupe DL) known as the hell car or widow maker. The Hornet was wrecked down in Georgia driven by the guy I sold it to.