Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impulse buying ?

I don't know if i'd class myself as impulse buyer...........yet. since getting back into the hobby, I have been buying kits I remember building/ruining as a kid, or getting kits I remember from then, but couldn't afford at the time.

I think hoarder is a more apt description, lol.

then again, we all have an addiction to this stuff........

ok, guilty as charged, thought I could talk my way out of this, but who am I kidding..............I learned it from watching you [yes, you people here :P ]

I blame the manufacturer for my hording, I mean impulse purchases. If they would quit discontinuing kits I wouldn't have to buy them now for future use. I hate passing up a good deal because the kit is in current production thinking I will just get one later, only to discover the kit has just been discontinued and is no longer available unless you want to pay crazy prices for it from a collector. Now that I think about my post that is a great business strategy. Dang, I better go to the hobby shop now.

All the time and sometimes as soon as I get them home but I put them in the stash anyway. Who knows someday I may decide that I've just got to build that particular kit and if it happens only once then it justifies the impulse buy.

I had stopped building (the last time) back around 1994 But I did not stop buying. I ended up with from 150 to 200 models stashed in the attic.

I brought most of them down and started selling the off but I still have about 50 or so left.I find myself with stuff like a 90,91 and 92 Thunderbird Super Coupes I owned a 1:1 91 at the time but 3 off them. A Plum Crazy 57 Chev Funny car ,I am NOT a Chevy fan, a Aluma Coupe??? a Testers Pre Painted Metal Bucket T??? a 92 Mustang a 94 Mustang a 95 Mustang a Mustang Mach III concept and a 59 Ford Galaxie Convert with the 3 piece body what was I thinking

At this time I am thinking "future parts donors"

one of the last swap meets I went to I planned on selling off some more but only ended up buying 4 kits ,2 of them I had never even thought about building

and my Wife calls me "Impulsive"

I went to NNL East wanting to buy one kit and came home with five. When I bought the fifth one, the guy said "Enjoy the Vette." I thought "What a concept - that I will build and enjoy it, rather than throw it on a stash pile when I get home." Another guy said a similar thing two years ago, and the kit he sold me is still unbuilt.

So, I am going to attempt to build all five of my purchases and display them at next year's NNL East. Here's to building what we buy!

Look for these builds from me in the coming 12 months:

• '70 1/2 Baldwin-Motion Camaro (Round2)
  • '70 Cuda (Revell)
  • '69 Baldwin-Motion Corvette (Revell)
  • BMW Dixi (Heller)
  • Morris Mini Cooper (Tamiya)